What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1000 watt light question

Alrighty everyone. I have a newgrow going and am about to expand it from the 4x4 closet its in and the 400watt light they are under. The room measures 15x15 roughly and am hoping 2 1000 watt light would be good for the room.

these are the lights I'm looking at

http://cgi.ebay.com/1000W-MH-HPS-Sw...614?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item415305c266

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/1000-Watt-HPS-M...125?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3f023306ad

Looking for input on either types of these bulbs. These light will be used for flowering only so I;m wondering if the dual arc bulb will be better then the straight hps.

Well thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post and I'm looking foward to everyones input.

MANTIZZ:ying:

Thanx milehigh. anyone else use these dual arc bulbs? I have had good luck buying from these guys b4 so I'm sure the lights will do just fine, just wanna get the best bulb for the money.

Also how many lights would people recomend for that size room?

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
i would recommended atleast 6kw in a 15x15 room. but you could fit 9kw if you wanted.

wow didnt think I would need that much. How many square ft would 2 cover? What would bethe perfect size for 1 1000 watt hps? From what I'm reading it'S ANYWHERE FROM 6X6 TO 10X10. Any thoughts on this. Maybe I could build some make shift walls to condence the light?

Anyone use these dual arc bulbs? I'm leaning twards the straight hps. seems like it would be better for flowering. But I could be wrong.

grow nerd

Veteran
Dual arc bulbs are a waste of time and money. They're "better" on paper and marketing from sales guys, but in reality they fail. Literally and figuratively.

OK 1 strong vote against the dual arc. I was leaning to the hps cause these lights are just for flower and I think the hps would be better.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
wow didnt think I would need that much. How many square ft would 2 cover? What would bethe perfect size for 1 1000 watt hps? From what I'm reading it'S ANYWHERE FROM 6X6 TO 10X10. Any thoughts on this. Maybe I could build some make shift walls to condence the light?

Each 1kw light will cover about a 4.5'X4.5' area, or just over 20 square feet each. You want at least 50 watts of light per sqaure foot.

S

shitabyss

Depends on what your goals are.

What do you want to yield?

Do you want to have that room dedicated to every aspect of your grow (Veg/Flower/Drying) or do you plan on keeping seperate areas for that?

With the info you gave, here's one thing you can do:

- 2 1000w bare-bulb vertical in a 5x10 space. You could use a tent for this. Or custom built environment.
- 1 4 or 8 bulb T5 fixture for veg in a 2x4 space. Same thing, tent or custom built area
- And a small area in the corner to dry, blocked off from light but still in ambient environment

Still leaves you with plenty of room to walk around/move stuff/clean.

But yea, it depends what your aiming to accomplish and what your ability/mindset is.

Latest posts

Latest posts