What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Commercial Sulfuric Acid pH Down?

Space Case

Veteran
I am looking for a commercial brand named pH down product that is approved for agricultural use, that is sulfuric acid based, not phosphoric or nitric acid. I can't just use battery acid or non-ag approved products where I am.

I remember General Hydro had a powdered sulfuric acid pH down years ago, but I can't find it anymore.

troutman

Seed Whore
Sulfuric acid can be used if that's all you can find. Just make sure the pH is tested as usual.
Sulfuric acid can be neutralized with calcium carbonate and it will make gypsum and carbon
dioxide if you do that. If you neutralize it with dolomitic limestone you'll end up with gypsum,
epsom salt and carbon dioxide.

Space Case

Veteran
Sulfuric acid can be used if that's all you can find. Just make sure the pH is tested as usual.
Sulfuric acid can be neutralized with calcium carbonate and it will make gypsum and carbon
dioxide if you do that. If you neutralize it with dolomitic limestone you'll end up with gypsum,
epsom salt and carbon dioxide.

Yes I am perfectly aware of the potential chemical processes and interactions. I am not asking if it is possible to use sulfuric acid for pH correction. This is for commercial hydroponic use and there are no carbonates present in the media, source water, or fertilizers.

This is for a large commercial production facility using compound salts as inputs. Lots of employees and room for error and my phosphorus levels are all over the place, because of continuous pH overcorrection from lower level employees. In an effort to refine the macro nutrient concentrations, I have restricted use of any pH up product because of the K contribution and am trying to limit use of phosphoric and nitric acid products. This is in a state that has strict agricultural use regulations and the facility has regular inspections, including fertilizer inputs. I can’t use any old battery acid, the product has to be approved by the state for agricultural use and commercially labeled.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes I am perfectly aware of the potential chemical processes and interactions. I am not asking if it is possible to use sulfuric acid for pH correction. This is for commercial hydroponic use and there are no carbonates present in the media, source water, or fertilizers.

This is for a large commercial production facility using compound salts as inputs. Lots of employees and room for error and my phosphorus levels are all over the place, because of continuous pH overcorrection from lower level employees. In an effort to refine the macro nutrient concentrations, I have restricted use of any pH up product because of the K contribution and am trying to limit use of phosphoric and nitric acid products. This is in a state that has strict agricultural use regulations and the facility has regular inspections, including fertilizer inputs. I can’t use any old battery acid, the product has to be approved by the state for agricultural use and commercially labeled.

You can make your own Korean fruit enzymes with fruit garbage. 1 sugar, 3 fruit, 10 parts water. Takes about 3 months in 5 gal pails filled almost to the top. Burp frequently.

For pH up using Ca OH (quick lime) 0.5 to 0.7 gr/gal :tiphat:

Iowa Grown

GH pH down powder is / was phosphoric based. GH doesn't offer it anymore, but you can find it here and there in limited quantities. Stearns Packaging also use to sell it in bulk, but they don't anymore, and I am sure GH would buy it from them, and have them package it for them, so that's why GH don't sell it anymore. But you can still can buy the food-grade[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] concentrated liquid [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Phosphoric [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Acid[/FONT] in bulk from them. And... if you want to buy high percentage food grade [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sulfuric Acid that is agriculture approved, General Chemical Industrial Products Inc makes and sells that.
[/FONT]

Space Case

Veteran
You can make your own Korean fruit enzymes with fruit garbage. 1 sugar, 3 fruit, 10 parts water. Takes about 3 months in 5 gal pails filled almost to the top. Burp frequently.

For pH up using Ca OH (quick lime) 0.5 to 0.7 gr/gal :tiphat:
:laughing:

Never need pH up! As far as KNF-made pH down....I can't wait that long!