What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Small holes in leaves

Just wondering if anyone has seen this problem before?
I started a bunch of seeds, and they all look great, except 1 or 2 of them seem to have a couple small holes starting in the leaves. I thought it's probably some sort of bug, but haven't seen anything in there. I have a bunch of other vegging plants in the room too. I had a few thrips, which I'm quit familiar with unfortunately. I've recently been treating them with cucumeris (a beneficial predator mite), and having great success. I have only found the odd one since, and everything looks healthy. The other vegging plants don't have any signs of these holes either.

Attachments

• 20190329_140524.jpg
    20190329_140524.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20190329_140533.jpg
    20190329_140533.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 27

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I cant see holes just some small chlorotic spots other wise healthy babies

Sort of looks like either the tiniest bit of pH/nute stress from being baby plants or maybe what happens sometimes when you spray babies under hot lights..

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
Just wondering if anyone has seen this problem before?
I started a bunch of seeds, and they all look great, except 1 or 2 of them seem to have a couple small holes starting in the leaves. I thought it's probably some sort of bug, but haven't seen anything in there. I have a bunch of other vegging plants in the room too. I had a few thrips, which I'm quit familiar with unfortunately. I've recently been treating them with cucumeris (a beneficial predator mite), and having great success. I have only found the odd one since, and everything looks healthy. The other vegging plants don't have any signs of these holes either.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=2857&pictureid=108588

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=2857&pictureid=102845

Source: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2494229&postcount=5

I would say insect damage, from an insect like this, smaller than a caterpillar, and larger than mites.

Back in the day when I had a cat, I often thought the cat had done it.

Other than that the plants look great, and I wouldn't do anything differently.

UPDATE

It looks like some kind of leafhopper, of which there are many species.

UPDATE II

The beet leafhopper.

www.sweetbeet.com/growernet/Resources/pests/insects/beethoppers.htm

Leafhoppers are: wedge shaped, 6 legged, with wings they rarely use. They'd rather scurry, or if pressed use their legs to leap away.

Last edited:

chronosync

Well-stoned member
scuffing from handling them, you ever brush the hood or reflector with a plant moving it? or have they been knocked over recently?

troutman

Seed Whore
Set sticky paper around the garden and hopefully you'll catch a culprit or two for identification.
I now set fly paper hanging around the perimeter for the entire length of a grow as a preventative.

I'm gonna put a few sticky traps out to see if I can catch something. I'm only finding a few little holes and they don't seem to be getting any worse. So hopefully whatever it was, is gone.. maybe the cucumeris took care of them too. We'll see what the sticky paper does.