What's new

Japanese hemp varieties

I'm looking for information on the varieties of hemp used in Japan for shinto ritual. I've seen reports of it growing wild in shikoku and believe these varieties should still contain the allele for THC production, just unexpressed. Any travelers here encounter such varieties?

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Hi, there are wild plants growing in the northern regions, the only strain name I have heard is "Dosanko"...there are plants grown for Shinto rituals and for clothes for the imperial family and Shinto priests, I assume the seed stock is sourced from these wild varieties.

Here's some info, taken from the excellent taima.org - last time I checked taima.org was offline, but this site has a long extract from it about Hemp in Japan:

http://www.rense.com/general50/hemp4.htm

The wild varieties certainly do have THC, enough to get you high/stoned.
Every so often a priest gets busted using the plants for other reasons than fibre-making/ceremonial.

SurfdOut

Veteran
When I lived in North Japan in 92, we would pick this sativa up in the mountains(just outside Hachinohe) after surfing and dry it all over my buddies little bedroom. We smoked the crapt out of it and got pretty giggly but our tolerance was pretty low. Just my experience.

Saibai

栽培して収穫しましょう!
Veteran
Note that seeds (and stalks) are not technically illegal to possess in Japan, and that viable cannabis seeds are sold as birdseed, and are an ingredient in some spice mixes for human consumption. Not sure if those are viable though. No quarrantine laws to speak of, but some Japnese have been investigated/interrogated by the cops for trying to bring in an obviously commercial amount of seeds in breeders packs.
You will be investigated/drug tested/raided until something illegal is found or the cops are satisfied, of course, even for possession of so-called "legal" seeds etc if the circumstances are suspicious, doubly so for foreigners.

Latest posts

Latest posts