What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Where can i buy mosquito dunks in Oz??

Mullabor

No signs of activity what so ever! It's been about a week now Woohoo!!
Think we may be on a winner.
Will give 2nd dose this arvo after heat disipates a bit. Bloody heat wave here atm

Thanks everyone

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats good Mullabor.

I bought some Dipel yesterday. I like the fact they also donate part of the sales to Landcare. The folks around here who keep the riverside clean etc and who organise the CleanUp Australia day are doing an awesome job. All the volunteers be they fire fighters or roadside cleaners are the true Aussie Heroes. Theres even a guy around here who drives around an old banger with tinsel and other decorations and just goes around the whole valley cleaning up the roadsides. All off his own back. Hes and old bloke been doing it for years...

Anyway my last neeming (couple weeks ago) has reduced their numbers right down but there's still a few on my sticky trap. So a dose of the Dipel should finish em off. Will still do the follow up 10 days later and that should be them gone for at least that cycle.

Then i can work on a way of reducing the numbers in my compost heap and worm farm. If the Dipel doesnt harm earthworms then i can safely use it on my finished compost and eliminate them before i mix it... cool! :D

Terroir

I have been fighting major bug probs the past 2 weeks and plants are not great. I have seen a few gnats but there not the problem so much as other things that i seem to have under control.

I was under the impression that dipel is a spray on thing for caterpillars. How are you applying for gnats in the soil. Just fill watering can and drench soil and repeat 7-10 days later.

SneakySneaky

Veteran
Online. Try putting diotomaceous earth on top of your coco. Bugs can't get thru it without slicing themselves to pieces.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have tried the d.earth stuff and i liked it but it didnt prove as effective as i hoped. I am yet to try the Dipel , probs in a day or two. Waiting to see if the neem maybe 100% effective, there are hardly any left except in one pot. But i will put in it into a res and drip feed via blumats.

Neem can be difficult but a blender, warm water and some earth friendly washing up liquid does a good job. That and a splash of aloe vera for the saponins.

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok i tried the Dipel and it was not effective.

Used at full strength too, but not through my blumats. I thought better of that.

Now i am giving my plants sea water at a ratio of 10:1 with fresh. Lets see how those little fuckers like some salt...

ozzieAI

Veteran
i have great success watering with neem oil into the medium at 5ml/litre, do this once a week and gnats will be kept at bay...along with most other pests

G

Ozzie, I have a Satori and mystery mix femmed freebie at about 40 days flowering that have both developed fungus nat infestation over the past few days. The last 2-3 days when you disturb the dirt you see a flock of the little devils fly up and I know they lay eggs and make a cycle breeding new ones. I just happen to have neem oil and have dosed both at the exact dilution you suggested. 1 liter with 5ML's neem for plants in 10 liter pots. I will monitor and report back on how effective this works for me.

thanks, Keif

ozzieAI

Veteran
Ozzie, I have a Satori and mystery mix femmed freebie at about 40 days flowering that have both developed fungus nat infestation over the past few days. The last 2-3 days when you disturb the dirt you see a flock of the little devils fly up and I know they lay eggs and make a cycle breeding new ones. I just happen to have neem oil and have dosed both at the exact dilution you suggested. 1 liter with 5ML's neem for plants in 10 liter pots. I will monitor and report back on how effective this works for me.

thanks, Keif

thanks for that i am always interested to hear of others experiences. keep in mind that neem isn't an instant kill, but it will affect your bugs so they don't eat, sleep, molt or breed. if the first watering doesn't slow them down then use the same dosage but add more water. ideally you want a little runoff that is quickly reabsorbed back into the soil quite quickly. don't let plants sit with wet feet for more than 12-24 hours but you do want all the soil to get in contact with the neem mix.

G

Ozzie, you are da man!! I checked my plants this morning and after brushing around dirt on top I had exactly "1" fungus nat fly up and he looked distressed. Yesterday there were dozens. I understand your point about needing a little water showing at the bottom as they also lay eggs at the outlets. In fact I did hold back a little, normally would have used 2 liters unstead of 1 per plant as I did yesterday. Will go with my normal 2L next time per plant. Do you think this treatment with neem is ok given I'm at day 42 in flower? I'm not too concerned since this run is more for seed than smoking. I always do a flush a couple of weeks before chop anyways.

Thanks again, this appears to be working great so far!!!

ozzieAI

Veteran
that is great to hear KS. the amount you need will differ depending on what type of medium you are using and how dry it is. treating with neem can happen up to flushing it for the last week before harvest...

enjoy...

G

Hey Ozzie and all the good folks down under. Just an update on the neem oil/ fungus nat treatment, day 3 after application. I cannot find a single nat after 1 application. Tomorrow my plants will be recieving another round of the same dilution and hopefully will take care of new hatchlings that may popping out. Break the cycle.

Forget about mosquito dunks, this is the real deal