What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Winter?

dundee

Hi everyone, Just wondering when is the best time to plant for winter and when do winter crops usually finish?

Cheers,

Dundee

slshemup

from seed nows a good time,some strains will start to revert to veg in spring so cut the buds before they start to get fluffy and stretchy,this usually happens in spring.you can leave enough reverting shoots on whats left for a summer grow.

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
If your in Victoria during winter crank up the HPS globes...outside doesn't work.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hi everyone, Just wondering when is the best time to plant for winter and when do winter crops usually finish?

Cheers,

Dundee
youll have to be in the far north to have a successful winter crop dundee ,
so if you are , and at coastal level
go anytime you like from now ,(typical is june to oct)
and allow for 12-16 weeks from seed to harvest in most hybrids ..

the problem further south is the cold short days ,
not long enough or warm enough to produce decent cannabis flowers ..

dundee

youll have to be in the far north to have a successful winter crop dundee ,
so if you are , and at coastal level
go anytime you like from now ,(typical is june to oct)
and allow for 12-16 weeks from seed to harvest in most hybrids ..

the problem further south is the cold short days ,
not long enough or warm enough to produce decent cannabis flowers ..

Im mostly just planning on making more seeds for next summer (and possibly making some clones to start from for the summer aswell if its possible?) from some seeds I bought online. Im in north nsw on the coast, do you think it will be ok?

Cheers for the advice everyone :)

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Im mostly just planning on making more seeds for next summer (and possibly making some clones to start from for the summer aswell if its possible?) from some seeds I bought online. Im in north nsw on the coast, do you think it will be ok?

Cheers for the advice everyone :)
yes sounds like a good plan ,,
not enough bud for production ,
but certainly enough to set some seeds ...

S

Sat X RB

I 'm a bit north of Bbne and winter 'crops' work for me (this is landrace Sativa I speak of).

ideally planting should be a week or so after summer harvest. growth is very slow late may/june/early july but they pick up a bit after that until the middle of October when the flower stems stretch and grow out. this begin of reveg varies with the season so you must keep an eye on them at this time.

I use this growing time to make a bit of fresh smoke for xmas (doesn't seem as strong as summer) AND TO MAKE FRESH SEEDS!

shouldn't be too much different where you are. I use pots for this grow cos helps to keep the soil warm.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I 'm a bit north of Bbne and winter 'crops' work for me (this is landrace Sativa I speak of).

ideally planting should be a week or so after summer harvest. growth is very slow late may/june/early july but they pick up a bit after that until the middle of October when the flower stems stretch and grow out. this begin of reveg varies with the season so you must keep an eye on them at this time.

I use this growing time to make a bit of fresh smoke for xmas (doesn't seem as strong as summer) AND TO MAKE FRESH SEEDS!

shouldn't be too much different where you are. I use pots for this grow cos helps to keep the soil warm.
im a fussy bugger ,,
and agree it can work but
it just aint nothing like the rest of the year ,
buds are not full , taste is lacking ,
high is not as intense etc etc

after august im able to harvest good herb ...

S

Sat X RB

im a fussy bugger ,,
and agree it can work but
it just aint nothing like the rest of the year ,
buds are not full , taste is lacking ,
high is not as intense etc etc

after august im able to harvest good herb ...

no worries Mr Mallard! not looking to contradict you, and think your style is ideal, but it can be grown over winter. most of us are not as together as you are in this department.

somehow this issue reminds me that dope can get you thru times of no money better than money can get you thru times of no dope. (thinking about when the summer crop's all gone, you see.)

cheers!

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
no worries Mr Mallard! not looking to contradict you, and think your style is ideal, but it can be grown over winter. most of us are not as together as you are in this department.

somehow this issue reminds me that dope can get you thru times of no money better than money can get you thru times of no dope. (thinking about when the summer crop's all gone, you see.)

cheers!
hey sat x rb ,
man i always love freewheelinfranklins quotes
and totally adhere and agree , hehee ..

funny , ,when the good season is just a memory ,
its amazing how some of the not so good of the year , seems to come out not so bad , hehehehe ..
im almost there now ...

slshemup

when i used to put some jh cuts out for winter they do turnout like Don Mallard says.
buds are more leafy , taste is milder ,
high is nowhere as strong and they would go a deep purple/black colour.

though like you say with the old freak brothers statement its true!

S

Sat X RB

haven't visited here for a while ... but after I got back from North I began tending the seedlings my wife Minnow had ignored while I was away ... bless her skin like oatmeal ... and they're doing pretty well for wintertime.

so hopefully I 'll have some pics by October to show Dundee what's possible, in my part of the world at least, during winter.

where are you Dundee?! show up! whaddayathink ?

jarmon

So as predicted leafy, some blackening but it has seeds ripening as we speak. I'm interested to see how folks go further north ie Brisbane and surrounds.

picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Ill get a pic today,
had some leafy ones like that, well not quite as leafy,
but the later ones are good,
ive been keeping them pretty warm ...

jarmon

I'm guessing that if you get frost it might cause you some problems unless you move them inside. Lowest night time temp we got here was about 1C and lowest daytime was around 15C -no frost this year. I did put the plants inside over night when they were small and the temps were very low during June. I think we got down to 3C the other morning and the seeds are still growing. Sorry not sure about the absolute minimum temps for seed growth but I would guess that if the mother survives the seeds should also.

S

Sat X RB

think frost shouldn't bother seed production.

mine began flowering in the middle of august. this is earlier than usual because it's a mild season. I reckon we've had two night where temps fell below freezing.

middle of august to middle of october? that's three months to grow heads ... not bad ... looking forward, looking forward ... pics soon ...