What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

my plant made one seed

So I had a real nice plant make a seed which I just germed. Since this plant wasnt introduced to a male would it mean that it made a genetic copy in seed form?

U

Ultra Current

So I had a real nice plant make a seed which I just germed. Since this plant wasnt introduced to a male would it mean that it made a genetic copy in seed form?

It doesnt mean that it will be exactly like the plant that you had but it is similar to popping a pack of seeds that your original plant came from so you can see other phenotypes come out. This is if the pollen came from the plant that you are talking about. It will most likely be female though. Its rare with most strains but sometimes you could find a male but this seems to happen with sativas on rare occasions.

Blueshark

My guess is that you pollenated it when digging into susequent bagweed that had pollen
in it, too. Your plant could have "hermied" on you, but you would have seen both male and female parts. If that happened, the resulting plant would be a female and essentially be an exact duplicate of the mother...good luck with it. Take a pic of the mother and compare it to the offspring when its done...that will tell you what happened

U

Ultra Current

My guess is that you pollenated it when digging into susequent bagweed that had pollen
in it, too. Your plant could have "hermied" on you, but you would have seen both male and female parts. If that happened, the resulting plant would be a female and essentially be an exact duplicate of the mother...good luck with it. Take a pic of the mother and compare it to the offspring when its done...that will tell you what happened

The situation above is possible. As regards to the poster, he only found 1 seed. It is not always easy to see a couple of nanners so it could have easily been hidden. As regard to the S1 being an exact duplicate as the mother, it is not always the case. I usually see many phenos in all the S1s that I have done and other breeders have clearly documented this in many S1 breeding projects. If that was the case, we could just S1 all the clone onlys and every one would have them but it doesnt work that way.

C

chase

All of my Trainwrek bagseed went hermaphodite where the clone was fine.I have a single Chemdog seed acuired from bag weed , I probably wont ever crack it .
Before all this when weed was fully seeded , I was able to select good plants from bagseed.( open pollenation with males?)

This forsure did not come in contact with any male plants nor was it a hermie . I also do remember reading somewhere that a plant can make a single seed when not pollinated

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I believe there must be a pollen grain in order to pollinate the ovule and produce a seed. Most likely there was single nanner somewhere you missed and once they fall off you might not ever find it they can be extremely hard to detect. The other probable possibility is just a stray pollen grain hit a viable pistil and created life, there is Cannabis pollen in the air and it's completely possible that some wandered into your growroom. If you were to go outside during flowering season and take an air quality sample there is no doubt Cannabis pollen would be present along with many other types of pollen. It could have simply wandered inside through an open door or window searching for some sticky sweet action and found it! :canabis:

Is the seed dark, mature & viable looking? :)

Yea seed was was dark with stripes germed real quick too. I had another plant beside this one thay had no seeds .. is it worth planting this seed?

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grow it man, I'll bet it's a female :)

Let us know how she goes :canabis:

Much love! :biggrin:

Blueshark

The situation above is possible. As regards to the poster, he only found 1 seed. It is not always easy to see a couple of nanners so it could have easily been hidden. As regard to the S1 being an exact duplicate as the mother, it is not always the case. I usually see many phenos in all the S1s that I have done and other breeders have clearly documented this in many S1 breeding projects. If that was the case, we could just S1 all the clone onlys and every one would have them but it doesnt work that way.

Ultra, good post. Makes sense. I'm new to this breeding thing, thanks for enlightening me further....:tiphat:

h.h.

Veteran
If you had let the plant go longer, you may have had a few more. My blueberry used to put out seed when I let it go past a certain point. They were always female and always the same pheno. Odds are in your favor.

Latest posts

Latest posts