What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Rescue thread

Blueshark

Billy, good thread. My wife and I lost our beagle when she got out of her collar. She got hit by a car.
Went to adopt a male, 5 yr old beagle and the shelter (in county M) said they would call. After 4 weeks with no word, we found an 8 month old female ( in county F) and got her in two days. When we got home, county M had left a message to come pick him up...SO...
We now have 2 beagles instead of one and we wouldn't have it any other way. Things happen for a reason and they both love playing with each other. Both are spayed and neutered (but not both, lol) so no pups. Love them both.

O

OneTokeOver

My resecue dog saved me, from a life of loneliness and inactivity. Honestly don't know what I would do with out her.

She got past a very bad start and is eternally grateful. I get back so much more than I put out. Rescues are incredible value, highly recommended.

onetokeover-albums-grow-room-pics-picture8378-dixie-cover.jpg

http://www.mrnice.nl/forum/members/onetokeover-albums-grow-room-pics-picture8378-dixie-cover.jpg

greenluv707

pit wisper/ rare strain collector
billy cw i gotta say you are doing a very good deed there, if i had more land i would adopt more. the starved and bait dogs hurt me the most on the inside.i just dont see how someone could do something like that and still have a soul.an animal that would happly give his or her life to save you.not to mention thell allways greet you and give you luv.

onetokeover, man shes beatiful.how could you not luv a girl like that.

folks that treat animals bad should be forced to dig there shallow grave and then shot and left in them..........i know its kinda ruff but it makes me sick that folks do this to a bestfriend(your dog or cat)........

stellblue

I'm big into animal rescue. I regularly volunteer for Karma Rescue, they help pitties find homes. I do the videos of the dogs that we put up on petfinder so we can find homes for them. I'm also a longtime rescuer on my own. I saved a pittie girl in heat who was dumped on the streets in my hood. Now I only rescue seniors with issues, b/c it's so much harder for them to find homes. My most recent rescued dog (Nov 2011) was 13 and blind & deaf when I rescued him from a shelter, he's smart & sweet & is completely bonded to me. It's amazing how many people just dump their senior dogs in shelters. Don't these idiots understand these dogs are family? We are their pack. You don't dump your grandmother in a cardboard box on the street when she gets old, do you? So why are these POS dumping their loyal seniors? I just want to shake them!

My most recent rescued cats (Dec 2011) were 2 girls from a terrible hoarding situation up in Antelope Valley. I run into alot of people who have animals from that one. This hoarder had 300 cats & 200 dogs living in deplorable conditions. The girls were so malnourished and skinny it was painful to see. They were traumatized from the conditions and were almost feral. Now they are plump and happy and affectionate.

Anyway Billy, glad you started this thread... you're so lucky you know vets that you can bring your rescues to, they can get very expensive!

gdawg

last year,rescued 2 poor souls that were to be put to death by animal control in a few hours........ every day it makes me smile to see their lil faces when I wake

billycw

Veteran
Hey dirty harry- its all rescue no matter if you seek them out or not. The fact that you acually open your home to them is enough for anyone. Thank you for caring enough to not turn a blind eye.

This brings up a point I was going to make later on. There are people in this world who just have an attraction of some kind to finding the lost, lonely, hurt and abandoned animals. The same people consistantly call us when they find animals. I have helped thousands of animals but have only found 1 or 2 in my daily life. I don't know what it is because its not like these people are seeking them out. They turn up on their front door, they jump into their cars, they run up to them in parking lots... Its crazy but there are people in this world that have some type of energy that attracts all these guys to them. I'm just glad that some embrace it.

stellblue

hey, thanks for the offer billy!
And that's the same reason I adopt seniors, they shouldn't be dying scared and alone in a shelter b/c their human was a POS who threw them away when they got old.
I love that there are people like you and yr wife out there too!

Stellblue-Looks like you picked a good rescue. Love any rescue pulling the harder cases, thats right up our alley. Our favorite kinds to pull are the med cases and seniors, we've even pulled some seniors knowing they weren't going to make it more then a couple days just so they didn't have to die in the shelter with no love. Just adopted out a 15 year old poo mix that was deaf, almost blind and a little senile. We couldn't do what we do without people like you. If Karma ever needs help with any cases let me know, my wife loves going to LA and wouldn't hesitate just hit me with a pm. Love that there are people out there like you, Thanks

greenluv707

pit wisper/ rare strain collector
man hes a cutie billycw, man what the hell is wrong with people?hit in the head with a blunt object,thats fucking sicking......i really dont know how people can treat an animal like that ,that only wants love and a good home. man this world is really fuck up.

all i can do is hope karma will catch up with them and hopefully they get back in turn what they delt on innconent animals...............man people are sick,and thoes "sick" people need to be put down.

I adopted a dog from the Rescue a couple of days ago; she's a Rhodesian Ridgeback and the woman said she had something else in her, possible Staffordshire Terrier.
She follows me around like a shadow; I think she's worried she's going to be abandoned again.

B

bonecarver_OG

we do adopt cats - or rather it started with a couple we found in a industrial site. later an other abandoned kitten found its way here. then suddenly we started to get a few cats in the garden. some time later some ppl THREW in a cat over our fence. and so on.

we got 10 cats now and its steadilly increasing although we are not really trying to. anyhow they are cute and we like em so its worth the cat-food. nice company too :)

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

this is my 1st rescue shelter dog Wendy, she's fully grown @ just 35#s. I picked her up on on St Paddy's day. She was found as a stray and so her exact age (1.5 yrs?) and lineage are somewhat questionable. My vet (a former pitbull owner) thinks she's straight pitty.

She's a gentle as any dog can be, typical terrier friskiness but settles right down once inside. She and my 9+ yr old springer spaniel Alice get along great, we did have a little spat over freshly cooked big beef shank bones so I let them do their chewing kenneled apart for now. I think Alice might have started the ruckus when Wendy walked over and scoped out Alice's bone but it lasted only a second until I shouted @ them both.

wendy1.jpg

wendy2.jpg

she's got her ears pinned back in the pics as she often does but when they're sitting up straight they're just HUGE looking, makes her look like a dingo, everyone adores her for those almost comical ears. Those ears however are like radar dishes not missing a thing, she hears what my ears seem to be missing on what's happening outside, if I could teach her to read and drive I'd even have that whole 'crazy old blind fucker' thing nipped in the bud, well maybe not the crazy part.

Anyway I couldn't be happier, Alice now has another companion after we lost her mom to cancer last year which is bringing her outdoor activity level up and we've taken a city rescue dog to live up in the country.......

Superstone

You've done a real good thing by giving one of the world's most misunderstood breeds a good home.She looks happy and content...looks like she's smiling in the 2nd pic.Sounds like Alice has a buddy to enjoy the country with.

billycw

Veteran
We had a 6 year old chi with 3 year shot history come down with parvo and crashed fast this week. He was a immune surpressed kid but its a first for us for a fully vaced kid over 2 under 10 we have had get parvo. Bad strain this year, be careful with your pooches this summer season, especially if they are under 1.

If they are under 1 just be mindful of symtoms. Not wanting to eat/drink, sluggish, diarrea(most of the time with blood in it), not wanting to get up, lathargic and throwing up(alot of times with blood) are the signs to watch for. It has a smell you wont forget.

Basicly what the virus does is sluf off the intestinal track so thats why you see the blood. Its like flu times 10. usually you'll see signs first day but by 2 you will know. Act quick as its all very vital in the beggining. if you can afford it vets can treat symtoms not really the virus as stated before it just runs a course. You do need to act fast with something.

How we treat is-
injectable pen g(for secondary infections)
injectable metoclopramide(for nausea)
oral metronidazole(for diarrea)
nutrical or high cal paste(because they aren't usually eatting, even if they are its good to have it on board)
honey for the gums(their sugar gets very low)
plain yogurt(putting some good bacteria in the stomach to fight)
And the most important one
Sub Q fluids( dehydration)

Also chicken, rice, chicken and rice baby food and Pedialyte are all good to have to tempt them to eat and drink.

The sub q fluids are the most important and necessary part of all of that. The quicker the better as they will become dehydrated so better to have at least a good base.

The virus usually runs its course in about 7 days, but they are still sluffing it and are contagious for 2 weeks longer. Its a 50% 50% live die virus, everything you can do is just treating the symtoms not attacking the virus. The worst of it are days 3-5. Generally if they are alive on day 6 they have made it through, they will still look like hell and showing signs but will start up.

If anyone has any questions let me know.

This was our 6th parvo kid of the season, its not going to be a fun season.

Latest posts

Latest posts