What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My new basement

wisco61

Well I moved and bought a house so I got me a whole new setup and situation. I have a full basement, but only like 6' ceilings + ventilation so I ended up building a 7'x7' x 5' tall tent that fits in pretty snug. I am going to use a 400w CMH for veg and then turn on an additional 600w HPS in for flower.

I've got a 18" carbon filter and a 550 cfm fan hooked up to a thermostat for ventilation. I'm still messing with the controls but so far its been keeping it 80-83 at lights on. Also a small fan set on low under the bulb stack and a oscilating fan in the corner.

picture.php

picture.php

I didn't bring any of my mothers with me so I starting from scratch as far as genetics go. I have too many freebies sitting around so I started all the indica sounding freebies I had and then 6 Firelight C99s. The others are Critical +, Kushage, Burmese Kush, Heavy Duty Fruity, and 2 Darkstar. The singles are all fem, while the C99 and Darkstar are regulars.

picture.php

Lets see.... growing in organic "soil." My mix is:

40% coco
10% worm castings
10% shrimp compost
10% seaweed compost
10% rice hulls
20% Napa part 8822 (DE)

I'll topdress some Espoma plant tone in when I up pot them next, otherwise just occasional compost tea soil drenches/foliar feeds. Oh and protekt silica.

I have Blumats so I will probably get those going by flower if I can get enough pressure with my low ceilings.

I'll only veg for long enough to get a couple clones off each seedling then I'll put them into flower. Need to find me some new bitches.

So thats about it for now. Hopefully by the end of next week I will have them in their 2 gallon smartpots around the CMH and we can get this show moving on down the road.

BabyWarlock

I like what you've done there with the light coming up off the floor, now thats inovation!

Whats the fan sock for, does it have some hidden yield boosting factors?

peace all :tiphat:

wisco61

Thanks for stopping by all. I hope its quite the show myself. I just gave them their first taste of compost tea so things are looking up.

I like what you've done there with the light coming up off the floor, now thats inovation!

Whats the fan sock for, does it have some hidden yield boosting factors?

I was trying copy Aeroguerilla's setup for the bottom bulb but the metal I got to bend was too flimsy to maintain an S shape, so I decided to make a U. Pretty ghetto but it seems solid and the fan keeps it steady. The sock came with the fan/filter combo, its supposedly reduces sound but I dunno. If it extended over the little box on the bottom it would be more useful, that is sharp and at eyebrow level when I walk out of the tent. Its got me a couple times already. :bump:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks interesting im in got my seat. I use a vertical setup but I dont have a bulb on the floor like that. Good Idea with the fan. I had to add a A/C unit it just would not keep the room cool enough with out one. Im using 2 600 in a 5x5x10. The bigger fans you have to suck out that hot air the better for bare bulb vertical. You want to create a slight NEG pressure in the room/tent

wisco61

Looks interesting im in got my seat. I use a vertical setup but I dont have a bulb on the floor like that. Good Idea with the fan. I had to add a A/C unit it just would not keep the room cool enough with out one. Im using 2 600 in a 5x5x10. The bigger fans you have to suck out that hot air the better for bare bulb vertical. You want to create a slight NEG pressure in the room/tent

I don't think I'll need AC because I am in the basement and ambient temps stays at 68 or so. There is a vent from the central air right above the tent I could easily duct in if need be, but I don't think I'll have too.

I get negative pressure in the room when the fan kicks on. The walls and ceiling all suck in a bit, and that is with a decent gap around the floor for intake. I ran it for about 12 hours the other day when it was warm outside, and temps stayed right at 80-83 where the plants will be. I could and probably will get it slightly cooler when in flower, but I just have to turn the thermostat connected to the exhaust fan down some for that.

41bjcuX3AkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BabyWarlock

Wisco I'm not too sure if that would work for sound insulation, maybe it does!

The soil mix looks premium bro, I'm too scared to mix up my own soil so i stick to 100% coco, does it work better for you than straight coco?

peace be with you

wisco61

Wisco I'm not too sure if that would work for sound insulation, maybe it does!

The soil mix looks premium bro, I'm too scared to mix up my own soil so i stick to 100% coco, does it work better for you than straight coco?

peace be with you

Ya I doubt it does anything for sound, but it was already on there so wth.

I've never used straight coco, but I've done DWC so I have hydro experience. I just like organics because I can use straight water with the blumats and can reuse the soil. But I like coco better than peat so I use that in my mix. I'd use bark fines if I could find them, but I can't.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
those temps are fine. I would however raise those pots off the cement floor. That's not good get a pallet or something to get hem up off the floor . Ya im familiar with the TMP-1 I had one myself. . With that size room can you put the 2 600 one at the bottom and top?

The yield increase from 400 to 600 is drastic to say the least. I tripled my doubled my yield from a 400 to a 600 possably more if I would have diled in that strain.. I was doing the same as you I had a 400 and a 600. The buds that saw the 400 where not dense and where more airy. The 600 side was dense rock hard nugs with 18" cola's. Anyway looks good my friend cant wait to se them rooms filled with nugs good luck

wisco61

The yield increase from 400 to 600 is drastic to say the least. I tripled my doubled my yield from a 400 to a 600 possably more if I would have diled in that strain.. I was doing the same as you I had a 400 and a 600. The buds that saw the 400 where not dense and where more airy. The 600 side was dense rock hard nugs with 18" cola's. Anyway looks good my friend cant wait to se them rooms filled with nugs good luck

I need to do something for the floor, I think I will just pick up some 1 1/2" thick insulation or something.

As far as the 600 v 400 I will keep the 400 for the CMH, as they don't make them in 600s. I think the mixed light spectrum will probably make up for most of the difference in lumens, and the bud quality will be improved. Plus it makes it easy to veg with just the CMH on for a week or 2.
picture.php

Dudesome

Veteran
Aerohead copycat :)

Kidding.

A very nice setup! I bet you can average 1 gpw of your finest organics!
Shit I HOPE SO!

wisco61

Well, I decided to start some more seeds for after this round, and I needed the T5 tent for those. So, I put the C99s et al around the CMH. I had to prop them up for now, but some of them have roots coming out the bottom of the cups, so I will put them into the smart pots soon.

picture.php

Everything is looking decent except the one plant at like 5 o clock. Its growing single leaves like its trying to reveg or something. I dunno, weird one but I need to cut down to 8-9 in here for space anyways, so its all good if I end up killing it.