What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why do you grow organically?

O

Orrie

Always tried to grow in a sustainable and earth friendly way
No other paradigm seems to fit that bill (that I know of)

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
Imo organic cannabis tastes better and has a better high/stone when it switched to tlo in was astounded by the harvested flowers it was better than anything in had ever tried before and the genetics had it's part in it too i grew obs gear some genetics bone madd and dj shorts best smoke hands down sad part too they were harvested a few weeks before ready and the buds were gooey and sticky and stinky as hell became obsessed with the flavor and smoked it all too quick haha

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
When I switched to tlo**

It was better than anything I had ever tried before***

Sorry damn auto shit making me post shit all screwed up...
It won't let me edit either so this post is to show me correcting my typing mistakes....

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Imo organic cannabis tastes better and has a better high/stone when it switched to tlo in was astounded by the harvested flowers it was better than anything in had ever tried before
If you don't mind my asking...

Since you brought up your experience, let's get a finer definition. How many non-prohibition sources did you sample? How many places have you lived and sourced cannabis? How many decades have you sourced cannabis? How many growers have you known, where you were fully aware of how the cannabis was grown?

Everything is relative, just attempting to put your opinion in perspective.

H

hard rain

I choose to grow organic as it is dirt cheap, easy to grow once you get the hang of it, and I do think the buds taste better. I have grown both ways, the last 10 years or so organic.

I care a lot about the environment. Organics is so much better. You don't have to worry about nutrient runoff, the growing media, bottles or packets of fertilizer.

I have nothing against hydroponics apart from it's waste and damage to the environment. I worked for many years in a commercial hydroponic business. Most of us consume hydroponic veges without realising. I don't think it's unhealthy, just that organic is better for us, better for the planet.

On the subject of cost, I've spent about $100 on fertilizer in 10 years and still have most of it left. I recycle potting mixes. I make a lot of my own fertilizer, worm farm products, human urine, bokashi bin, friends chicken poo e.t.c. Not to mention organic teas which are also super cheap. There's a lot you can do for little.

Last edited:

Easy7

Veteran
Starting to wonder if a chem hydro run would make some sense 1 out of 3 grows a year. PBP and other bottled nutrients are crazy expensive. Just can't make it worth it to run hydro with all the natural and close to natural nutrients in a bottle.

The only think I would want to add would be humic acid for the ph swing. But as mentioned earlier general hydroponic dry chems are dirt cheap. Never did a strait chem grow in my life. So sorta curious.

Seems all the lessons over the years have been largely PBP or bulk organics. Some people swear by floranova. Haven't tried all the styles as of yet.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Starting to wonder if a chem hydro run would make some sense 1 out of 3 grows a year. PBP and other bottled nutrients are crazy expensive. Just can't make it worth it to run hydro with all the natural and close to natural nutrients in a bottle.

The only think I would want to add would be humic acid for the ph swing. But as mentioned earlier general hydroponic dry chems are dirt cheap. Never did a strait chem grow in my life. So sorta curious.

Seems all the lessons over the years have been largely PBP or bulk organics. Some people swear by floranova. Haven't tried all the styles as of yet.

Really good indoor soilless mixes haven't been cheap for me at all. I joke that the recipe I have makes the most expensive potting mix in the world. If I were much more knowledgeable about the subject I could probably do it cheaper. What I'm sure of is that it's dynamite with blumats.

Outdoor soils are a different realm entirely. Paying for analysis of the native soil gives a grower a baseline & a clue as to any deficiencies that may exist.

OGFUNTIME

I am passionate about organic farming because of the economic and environmental benefits. My mom got into organics before I came about, so I first thought organic was the only option. However, I didn't realize until a couple years into gardening that using products labeled "organic" wasn't always natural. I then started learning about the soil food web and Korean Natural Farming. Now I am about three years into my quest and I am still learning from nature everyday.

B

Bongi

I grow organically because I want to grow purest herb possible and achieve highest level of plant health possible. I hope I am on right track.

Easy7

Veteran
Hydro doesn't work so well running seeds. You really must know exactly how a cut preforms for hydro.

Hydro start up costs, cost more. It is also a lot harder to burn with organics. Usually organics are easier to give too little, than too much.

Organics can see a mite infestation and then mitigate them without ruining a crop by using azamax or whatever.....that stuff makes your buds taste like ear wax. The most high profile shops and their top shelf med...earwax.
Cheap cheap cheap, have extra soil for non ganj projects.....like food remember that stuff?! But seriously my plants love gangafied ash, old teabags, eggshells , coffe grounds, pistacio shells, corn cobs, onion skins, recycled imperial stouts:coffee::coffee::laughing: Super cheap!

Nico Farmer

After 15 years of hydro, I only grow now in full orga, and my conclusion is:
ORGANICS WINS flavor contest :)
Big up