What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California will Vote on Recreational Pot in Nov

Status
Not open for further replies.

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Read the fucking text... You're still eligible for a term in jail if you carry over an ounce... I forgot how alcohol users have to be very careful to carry only 6 and not 7 beers on them without facing incarceration..

No. FUCK that. That's not legalization that's hardly better than what's going on right now. Jack Herer died while campaigning against Prop 19, I'll never support AUMA. 6 plant limit per residence AUMA, ONE ounce limit per adult AUMA, WeedMaps advertising kickback AUMA..

Remember sb420? It was struck down as unconstitutional in the supreme court because the legislature has no authority to tamper with a citizens initiative such as Prop 215. Well this "legalization" initiative includes alterations to Prop 215 such as requiring you and your doctor to register with state issued cards, destroying your privacy.. As well as being the "citizens initiative" needed to implement the MMRSA without altering the CA constitution...

Like I said READ IT and tell me you don't see how much of a convoluted piece of shit this is.. ALL WHILE DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO EMPTY THE STATE PRISON SYSTEM OF CANNABIS PRISONERS...

iBogart

Veteran
Read the fucking text... You're still eligible for a term in jail if you carry over an ounce... I forgot how alcohol users have to be very careful to carry only 6 and not 7 beers on them without facing incarceration..

No. FUCK that. That's not legalization that's hardly better than what's going on right now. Jack Herer died while campaigning against Prop 19, I'll never support AUMA. 6 plant limit per residence AUMA, ONE ounce limit per adult AUMA, WeedMaps advertising kickback AUMA..

Remember sb420? It was struck down as unconstitutional in the supreme court because the legislature has no authority to tamper with a citizens initiative such as Prop 215. Well this "legalization" initiative includes alterations to Prop 215 such as requiring you and your doctor to register with state issued cards, destroying your privacy.. As well as being the "citizens initiative" needed to implement the MMRSA without altering the CA constitution...

Like I said READ IT and tell me you don't see how much of a convoluted piece of shit this is.. ALL WHILE DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO EMPTY THE STATE PRISON SYSTEM OF CANNABIS PRISONERS...

Doesn't seem much different than the other four states that legalized. Is it treated like apples? No, but who really expects that?

oceangrownkush

Veteran
Doesn't seem much different than the other four states that legalized. Is it treated like apples? No, but who really expects that?

If there were plans like in Oregon to empty the prison system of Cannabis offenders I could endorse it and vote for it, despite the economic subjugation that will follow. Instead they want us to relent every single aspect to the prohibitionists, even keeping us behind bars. That I won't tolerate. If it's gonna be legal in CA it should be legal like booze.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
too late.
train left the station with passing of CO and WA, then Oregon, Alaska....
same model.

get used to it...take Trouts advice and go to ground.

Licenses are pretty cheap, much cheaper than the other states. Also they are not limiting the boutique style gardens and actual people with medical needs to grow there own/have a caregiver. If you look at AUMA a caregiver can still garden for up to 5 people in no more than 500sq.ft. If you need more room, then just apply for a simple boutique license and go up to 3000sq.ft. All the AUMA is going to change is this god damn grey area we are all operating in as of right now. Do you really think, if your a caregiver that harvest 20lbs in your legal 500sq.ft, that cops are really looking for that? No, So dont be stupid, like you operate right now i hope, and the laws are actually better for you. Right now in some areas of california like the Central Valley if you have over an ounce on you, you might get a night in jail and a 1000 dollar fine, have over a 1lb and you might face up to a year or more(depending on skin color). With the New AUMA under a LB is only a fine and over a LB has a maximum penalty of 6 months where as right now a judge could give you over a year.... I dont see the difference other then now with AUMA and MMRSA there will be a state database the cops can look into to see, your doctor recommends up to 1 pound of flower at a time for extraction purposes and voids the whole Jail/court/Fine problem all together because your "taking the product to your buddy who has the legal extraction equipment" I recommend to all you AUMA haters out there to Lawyer up, Get educated and compete with the rest of us or go elsewhere to break the law with your carpet bagged product. Im for making sure all product going to our MEDICAL patients is lab tested and SAFE for all to consume, even the sick. Lets separate the Medical from Recreational and regulate it properly to give money back to the cities and towns to better schools and Law enforcement to drive back gangs and cartels a bit. Thank you to all who took the time to listen :) Im currently working right now with A few local collectives and Law Enforcement to open a Legal 3000sq.ft grow following all local AG/Water/electric/building/security/business/codes. And i can tell you, if your trying to do right by the locals, they will make the process go quite smooth once they realize how much money one 3000sq.ft facility produces. Out of sight out of mind money can be that change a town needs to build a new science/art center for the High School or add another cop to patrol to keep the town that much safer. Im for regulation and working with adults, like an adult business owner which unfortunately, many people in this industry are not...

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
What will it cost to score a license?

my question is are they going to exclude those who have had marijuana related felonies just as every other state has.

Let's ask Steve!
picture.php

California Pot Mogul Denies Bill Was Written As A Favor To Him

Steve DeAngelo is one of the most powerful cannabis businessmen on the planet, but he has a drug felony on his record. A bill in the California legislature would deal with that issue—for him and very few others.

A bill in the California State Assembly that would supposedly make it easier for drug felons to obtain marijuana licenses is so narrow in scope that it appears to have been written for one powerful white California entrepreneur: Steve DeAngelo, who is likely the most powerful legal marijuana business owner on the planet.
If the bill is passed, DeAngelo will glide through the marijuana licensing process, while most other cannabis felons, including many of the people of color who were disproportionately targeted by the war on drugs, will need to individually convince a licensing board that they have been rehabilitated. A source close to the Assemblymember who wrote the bill told BuzzFeed News that it had specifically been introduced as a favor to DeAngelo.
“It’s like a running joke in the industry at this point. Steve got a bill written for himself,” said Casey O’Neill, who cultivates cannabis, flowers, and produce at HappyDay Farms in Northern California. O’Neill has a felony conviction for cannabis cultivation on his record, but it would not be covered under this bill.
Having co-founded three of the cannabis industry’s most important and influential companies, the outspoken and ambitious DeAngelo is quickly shaping up to be the Elon Musk of pot. Not only does he run Harborside Health Center, the largest marijuana dispensary in the country, but he also helped start the most respected and reliable chain of marijuana testing labs, Steep Hill Labs, and the industry’s biggest and most influential investor network, The ArcView Group.
But before he became a fixture on the conference circuit in his signature homburg hat and long pigtail braids, the 57-year-old DeAngelo — like many people in the cannabis industry — worked with drugs on the black market. As a result, he has a felony conviction on his record stemming from an arrest for the distribution and possession of cocaine and marijuana in Maryland in 2001. DeAngelo was ultimately only convicted of possession with intent to distribute marijuana and given a five year suspended sentence and three years of probation. That conviction later prevented his brother and business partner from acquiring a medical marijuana license in Massachusetts.
California’s medical marijuana regulations, passed last fall, include a provision that anyone with a drug felony conviction on their record will need to prove they have been rehabilitated before acquiring a cannabis business license when they become available in 2018.
On February 19, Assemblymember Rob Bonta (D-Oakland) introduced a bill that would prohibit the state from denying a license to drug felons who meet three very specific criteria: First, the conviction must have occurred out of state. Second, the conviction must not have resulted in jail time. And third, the felon must also be approved by a local licensing body. DeAngelo, who already has licenses to operate in Oakland, San Jose, and San Leandro, perfectly meets all three qualifications.
“This would unfairly impact people in similar circumstances with convictions in the state of California,” said Diane Goldstein, a retired police officer and activist with the group Law Enforcement Against Prohibition. “We should support any bill that lessens the barriers to entry in the industry and we should not hold people’s past criminal convictions against them for things that now we as a society accept. But our first priority should be for encouraging businesses from residents of California.”
Records show that DeAngelo’s dispensary spent $10,000 between October and December lobbying the legislature and the governor’s office on the state’s new medical marijuana regulations. However, DeAngelo denies that he asked Bonta’s office to introduce this bill.
“I don’t want a Steve DeAngelo clause,” DeAngelo told BuzzFeed News. “They may have thought by crafting something like this that it would win my support, but we are not backing this approach.”

Bonta’s legislative aide Max Mikalonis dismissed the bill’s importance, saying in an email that it “is not moving forward in the legislative process. It will be held in the Business and Professions committee without being taken up for a vote.” Mikalonis did not respond to a request for comment on the impetus for writing the bill in the first place or to questions about whether it had been written at the behest of DeAngelo.
As BuzzFeed News recently reported, marijuana and other drug-related felony convictions have been preventing thousands of qualified people from getting involved in the burgeoning legal cannabis industry. Laws excluding drug felons disproportionately affect people of color, who are significantly more likely to get arrested for narcotics crimes, even though people of all races use and sell drugs at the same rates.
Law enforcement and legislators in every state with legal marijuana have decided to prevent most drug felons from participating in order to keep the industry ostensibly free of criminals. However, white people with experience on the black market who do not have drug felony convictions are often sought after by investors and state licensing boards for their cannabis expertise.
DeAngelo is very conscious of these racial dynamics and often discusses them in public.
“Of course Steve DeAngelo is going to get a license. Steve DeAngelo is white,” DeAngelo told BuzzFeed News. “He is articulate, and he’s able to present his case. What I’m concerned about is all the black and brown people who have been arrested at wildly disproportionate rates.”
A handful of people in the marijuana industry expressed skepticism about DeAngelo’s commitment to civil rights over his own bottom line, and not only because of this one bill. Although he often claims to advocate for open markets, DeAngelo has lobbied to limit the number of store-front dispensaries in Oakland, where his own flagship store is located. And while he has recently criticized the mandatory distribution layer of California’s new medical marijuana regulations, claiming to speak on behalf of small farmers, others argue that having a separate entity move cannabis from farm to dispensary is necessary to protect farmers from federal raids and prosecution by proving they aren’t diverting cannabis to illegal markets.
“Certain people put a lot of money and invest a lot of money in shaping the perception of who they are in the public,” said Sean Kiernan, a veteran who uses medical cannabis for his PTSD and helps provide marijuana for other vets through the Weed for Warriors Project. “The fact that he gets special treatment, or someone gets special treatment, just raises red flags to me.”

Licenses are pretty cheap, much cheaper than the other states. Also they are not limiting the boutique style gardens and actual people with medical needs to grow there own/have a caregiver. If you look at AUMA a caregiver can still garden for up to 5 people in no more than 500sq.ft. If you need more room, then just apply for a simple boutique license and go up to 3000sq.ft. All the AUMA is going to change is this god damn grey area we are all operating in as of right now. Do you really think, if your a caregiver that harvest 20lbs in your legal 500sq.ft, that cops are really looking for that? No, So dont be stupid, like you operate right now i hope, and the laws are actually better for you. Right now in some areas of california like the Central Valley if you have over an ounce on you, you might get a night in jail and a 1000 dollar fine, have over a 1lb and you might face up to a year or more(depending on skin color). With the New AUMA under a LB is only a fine and over a LB has a maximum penalty of 6 months where as right now a judge could give you over a year.... I dont see the difference other then now with AUMA and MMRSA there will be a state database the cops can look into to see, your doctor recommends up to 1 pound of flower at a time for extraction purposes and voids the whole Jail/court/Fine problem all together because your "taking the product to your buddy who has the legal extraction equipment" I recommend to all you AUMA haters out there to Lawyer up, Get educated and compete with the rest of us or go elsewhere to break the law with your carpet bagged product. Im for making sure all product going to our MEDICAL patients is lab tested and SAFE for all to consume, even the sick. Lets separate the Medical from Recreational and regulate it properly to give money back to the cities and towns to better schools and Law enforcement to drive back gangs and cartels a bit. Thank you to all who took the time to listen :) Im currently working right now with A few local collectives and Law Enforcement to open a Legal 3000sq.ft grow following all local AG/Water/electric/building/security/business/codes. And i can tell you, if your trying to do right by the locals, they will make the process go quite smooth once they realize how much money one 3000sq.ft facility produces. Out of sight out of mind money can be that change a town needs to build a new science/art center for the High School or add another cop to patrol to keep the town that much safer. Im for regulation and working with adults, like an adult business owner which unfortunately, many people in this industry are not...

that's funny. you need local permits BEFORE you can apply for that cheap State permit.
you really think you got what it takes to grease your town AND County?? where you living, Reseda?
nobody's holding the door open wide enough for you or me to get involved.
how many lawyers will it take to get you a local permit?
how many supervisors do you own?

your place is called the Black Market and legalization in Cali has way harsher penalties for everything you do today.

you will need many legal millions to get started in the permitted 2018 medical or recreational market on ANY level.

Let's ask Steve again and see how much did he grease THIS county for his permit…

County widens a loophole to allow legal pot grows.

Harborside Health Center got in to the medical cannabis industry almost a decade ago, one of the first six dispensaries to get licensed by the city of Oakland, the first California jurisdiction to allow dispensaries.

Harborside is a major player in the business, with more than 1,000 patients a day buying from two dispensaries in San Jose and Oakland. A third is underway in San Leandro.

And soon, Harborside will be growing pot in the Salinas Valley.

There's a moratorium on medical marijuana business in Monterey County, but the County Board of Supervisors voted 5-0 Friday to expand the exemptions in that moratorium, paving the way for Harborside to start planting.

"These are the folks who have said, 'We want to know the rules and abide by the rules, we want to set the standard,'" said County Supervisor Simon Salinas, who serves on the county's ad hoc committee that's been meeting to craft an ordinance regulating legal weed.

The supervisors voted last year to put marijuana on hold with a moratorium. The idea was to give the ad hoc committee time to write an ordinance that would spell out specifications for dispensaries, growers and manufacturers in the industry, before people started doing business haphazardly.

Harborside's local business, Sun Grown Farms, has been vocal about its investments in the Salinas Valley based on the assumption that a final ordinance would've been in place by now, but county officials haven't finalized anything yet; they're now hoping to have an ordinance complete by June, which would apply to the inland portion of Monterey County.

(A separate ordinance governing the coastal areas will require a lengthier approval process by the California Coastal Commission of up to a year.)

Sun Grown has paid for clones that it's ready to plant, or will lose out on a substantial investment, according to the company's attorney, Aaron Johnson.

The amendment approved on Friday gives Harborside a chance to apply for a permit to get started even while the moratorium is still in effect.

And it also gives real estate and business mogul Nader Agha a chance to get a pot grow at his Moss Landing Commercial Park back into operation.

On June 25, the County Resource Management Agency issued an order to the grower, Watsonville-based Ethnobotanica, to cease and desist all activities at the Moss Landing property based on zoning and code violations.

The pot grow had accrued $45,000 in administrative penalties, according to documents obtained by the Weekly through a Public Records Act request.

"We know this exemption is going to impact two possible entities," Supervisor John Phillips said, referring to Agha's operation and Harborside.

"But there is a big push to get a running start by a number of entities. I just don’t know when we open that door how big that door is going to be and how many people are going to come."

That remains to be seen, but it's definitely more than two. Mike Hackett, a Salinas businessman who owns greenhouses he hopes to transform into a cannabis grow called River View Farms, thinks he might qualify for the exemption to the moratorium.

And there may be dozens more. Phillips mentioned at least one, a Lockwood grower who's built hoophouses as an investment.

Meanwhile, county planners are continuing to solicit public input on the draft ordinance, and will hold their second public meeting Monday, March 7 from 5-6pm at the Bradley School on Dixie Street in Bradley.

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
Food for thought
Cities and counties may regulate and prohibit cultivation outdoors, but cannot completely prohibit cultivation inside a private residence or accessory structure that is “fully enclosed and secure."

Steve is an asshat!

No one is doing any "greasing" just negotiating like any new business would when there is going to be a major 1/4 acre facility built in there jurisdiction. Our little city has already been helping us since the first of this year, having local contractors come out and help with the whole design. My business partner sits in on all the major town hall meetings, and since we are both local college students with land, (Chem major, and biology major) we have been helping write definitions for the upcoming ordinances, and are close(know by name)with all 5 members of the city planning comity and mayor. If you work with your local government you would be surprised what you could get done. Pictures to come in 2017 when we are hoping to have all permits finalized(dependent upon AUMA vote) and building constructed. We just have land at the moment and supply local biodynamic certified strawberries, peppers, cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, and any extra medicinal herbs we dont end up using at the local farmers market. All im saying is, if you already have a farm up n' going with Legal water rights and proper zoning, then you have no problem. Just get a local lawyer, and a federal lawyer on retainer with an accountant and if you'r lucky like me you minored in finance. If you truly love to garden and are a skilled farmer, there are a ton of investors right now looking to get you into the right facility set up with the "right" people. Get motivated to farm and get motivated to move into the new era of cannabis business, we all know AUMA isn't perfect, but with a democratic majority in california's house it will be very easy to amend after its already been voted in.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
legit doctors don't want to be on any database for recommending marijuana...not my cancer doctor or any other I see...till the feds recognize it they wont play ball...yeehaw

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
Food for thought
Cities and counties may regulate and prohibit cultivation outdoors, but cannot completely prohibit cultivation inside a private residence or accessory structure that is “fully enclosed and secure."

Steve is an asshat!
they can currently ..national city did it....yeehaw

C

cooterbrown420

No one is doing any "greasing" just negotiating like any new business would when there is going to be a major 1/4 acre facility built in there jurisdiction. Our little city has already been helping us since the first of this year, having local contractors come out and help with the whole design. My business partner sits in on all the major town hall meetings, and since we are both local college students with land, (Chem major, and biology major) we have been helping write definitions for the upcoming ordinances, and are close(know by name)with all 5 members of the city planning comity and mayor. If you work with your local government you would be surprised what you could get done. Pictures to come in 2017 when we are hoping to have all permits finalized(dependent upon AUMA vote) and building constructed. We just have land at the moment and supply local biodynamic certified strawberries, peppers, cherry tomatoes, roma tomatoes, and any extra medicinal herbs we dont end up using at the local farmers market. All im saying is, if you already have a farm up n' going with Legal water rights and proper zoning, then you have no problem. Just get a local lawyer, and a federal lawyer on retainer with an accountant and if you'r lucky like me you minored in finance. If you truly love to garden and are a skilled farmer, there are a ton of investors right now looking to get you into the right facility set up with the "right" people. Get motivated to farm and get motivated to move into the new era of cannabis business, we all know AUMA isn't perfect, but with a democratic majority in california's house it will be very easy to amend after its already been voted in.

this is the attitude that is going to fuck California. Just pass the law and amend it later huh? lol that should work like a charm

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
just say hell NO...yeehaw..things are great the way they are..i mean its only 25 dollars a year for a rec...cant beat that...

jump /injack

Veteran
There is nothing easy to amend once it is law!!! Once you have a stupid law it gets life of its own, it lives forever. Look at this 'law', right off the bat its a tax law made for the fat cats in Sacramento who have spent California into the poor house, California was once a power house with jobs and money but no longer, in just a decade Democrats and the 'greens' have devastated the Central Valley and killed agriculture a $20 to $30 Billion industry and the business went to Mexico. The tax [15%+10% sales tax] will be a killer and the money will be used to put your miserable asses in prison if you don't pay it, this is a money bill for the politicians to squander. Do not trust the thieves in Sacramento, this tax money will be used against you and the sick of California.

Last edited:
Z

z-ro

won't pass. cali won't see rec cannabis till 2020 imo. it might pass in 2018 and implemented by 2020 is my current prediction.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
hmm, seems i would meet the criteria as well. I am just sick of folks with previous marijuana related felonies being stepped over for businesses, especially when they have been doing this for decades. I have had to turn down numerous offers because of my history. Getting close to possibly being able to expunge my rec, but its not a sure thing.

iBogart

Veteran
There is nothing easy to amend once it is law!!! Once you have a stupid law it gets life of its own, it lives forever. Look at this 'law', right off the bat its a tax law made for the fat cats in Sacramento who have spent California into the poor house, California was once a power house with jobs and money but no longer, in just a decade Democrats and the 'greens' have devastated the Central Valley and killed agriculture a $20 to $30 Billion industry and the business went to Mexico. The tax [15%+10% sales tax] will be a killer and the money will be used to put your miserable asses in prison if you don't pay it, this is a money bill for the politicians to squander. Do not trust the thieves in Sacramento, this tax money will be used against you and the sick of California.

Only truth here is the tax. You want to buy legal weed? You gonna pay a tax. Babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.