What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what were bongs like way back when?

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I know I may be getting a little bit off topic, BUT, speaking of the
Jamaican chalice, here's an old pic from 1973, of a chalice in use in Negril...Everyone in this photo has got to be at least in their early 60's by now...As you have probably already determined, the "chalice" is being passed counter-clockwise around this circle of old tokers....

Uhm might go a bit off topic here, but it still concerns BONGS.

Apart from the odor, i personally prefer a hand/clay chalice to show off blowing big clouds of fog, but a bong will always be my preferred method of smoking. I could smoke a bong in the room next door to my meme and she wont pick it up, (FYI:females have a much stronger sense of smell than males)before i got royal with a bong i would smoke a sweet early mornings during my school holidays 5:30 A.M go back in the house and wait for my mom to pass by my door around 8:30, the one day she came inside, first thing she said "Are you smoking grass inside my house???!!" never attempted that again, with a bong, Ive actually taken one in a public toilet at a rest stop, washed my hands, ate a gum and went back in the car to continue driving my mom where she needed to be. (2006 right after i finished uni)

Bong forever. Will post mine tonight. I don't buy bongs, just have a shitload of titanium fittings, and usually get a 500ML plastic water container and make a clutch and fit the bong pipe fitting in.

Give Thanks

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
The old Diamond Willow branch pipe. .45 caliber
attachment.php
shell is the bowl. Looks good in the old log cabin.

Last edited:

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
fence post pipe w/ .45 bullet bowl.

fence post pipe w/ .45 bullet bowl.

Last edited:

justpassnthru

Veteran
Back in the :chin:olden daz!
:laughing:
I bet bongs were square, like car wheels.
:biggrin: I bought a bong by mail in 1979 that is still being made and re-sold in 2013!!
:gaga: jpt

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
how was the steamer my brotha sounds CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!

The "steamer" was GREAT.. But because it is getting a bit off topic, jahrastafarii, when I get the picture taken, I'm gonna post it in the thread Vintage Smoking Devices and Accessories in the Old Stoners Crash Pad ... If your interested, you can take a look at my "antique" hash pipe there too.....

Think i got enough inspiration from that bamboo bong to go carve out a couple of logs and see which doesnt stick, attract insects and generally just holds well and keep as a bong, looks good.

Give thanks

supermanlives

Veteran
I miss my old ceramic grim reaper bong and a pvc trainwreck of a bong with all kinds of tubes an hoses. thing was like a trainset and not portable. but cool to look at

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
I saw some old skool Graffix bongs the other day in a smoke shop. I hadn't seen one in a while(read decades).

I always wanted one of those bongs with all the hoses and multi-chambers. It was just easier to roll a joint.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
My favorite (back in the mid 70s), was just a nice glass tube with a single rose painted on it. Used a rubber stopper for the stem.

It did have shotgun hole, which wasn't noticable from 4' away. If you cleaned it up and left the stem in the stash box, everybody thought it was just a nice bud vase.

No ice pinches or secondary percolators, easy to clean and worked well. Height was between 10-12"s. Wish I had a half dozen of them stashed for future use. :biggrin:

Saw a sign in the pipe shop today. Said 'There is no B in waterpipe'. Got a bit offended when I asked, what the hell is a waterpipe? I'm here to buy a BONG.

Pricey bitches these days.... and tougher to clean too.

supermanlives

Veteran
^^^ hey in some places in san diego say bong and your gone like like gong show lol. the place I went I spent so much cash I could say anything but put your hands up and have no issues . money talks lol. peace from sequoia

2 Legal Co

Veteran
^^^ hey in some places in san diego say bong and your gone like like gong show lol. the place I went I spent so much cash I could say anything but put your hands up and have no issues . money talks lol. peace from sequoia
:laughing: I'm in Colorado.... It's not much of a 'no no' here now.

You don't even have mask your intentions at the Grow Store anymore.

YES! on Amendment 64.... Trying to figure out where I'd like to go on Vacation. Aw, what the heck. I'll just stay in Colorado. :tiphat:

RoadRash

Some friends in San Diego have a 40 year old bong named, "Mister Mountain".

Ceramic.

Probably needs cleaning. With acetone ... and maybe a sand blaster :dance013:

It's about 12 inches high, weighs a few pounds, no see-through or nothing.

It hits OK but not super.

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
I miss my glass SteamRoller from the 80's! That thing really got you high!

It looked like this
picture.php

Until someone dropped it...