What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Limonene extraction of cannabis

Does water and limonene form an azeotrope? Arent they immiscible? I dont think the lower BP of a mixture means azeotrope, especially if they are immiscible.

I don't have a background in chemistry but I have jumped into the world of Limonene extraction. I can tell you that Limonene distills like a dream in the presence of the right amount of water and vacuum. I had it cold distilling at 47F at one point. I was rocking 130 rpm in a 20 L rotovap and pushing bumping limits to the max. Those temps are highly inefficient and I found that Limonene poured down my condenders at almost a 5/1 ratio when distilled at 120F.

Pangea

Veteran
Cool! How are you finding the process and end results? When you say you almost get a 5/1 ratio of distillate, what ratio do you start with in your distillation flask?

I start at 50/50 and add Limonene as boils down. I add water if it wants to bump. Things Getty violent if there is not enough water present. I distilled 5 gallons and got a significant amount of foul orange-smelling "mystery oil"

Pangea

Veteran
What is the purity of the limonene you start with before purifying? Are you collecting/discarding any fractions of the condensate?

Are you doing similar boil downs when purging extracts?

Pangea

Veteran
Thanks for sharing, cool to hear more folks are testing it out.

2007614057436331737946334950004460.jpg

I ask about condensate fractions because boiling and condensing an impure liquid mixture will not result in a pure condensate especially if the boiling points are similar and not well fractionated. Imagine if the impurities where terpenes, after running/extracting a few pounds of herb with a few gallons of the same limonene it should be contaminated with low levels of other terpenes, especially the likes of linalool which has a close density and bp as limonene.

I wonder about how the starting limonene was purified to 99.4% and why there is more than .6% by weight on average left over mystery oil? If the common limonene or high purity limonene on the market is made and purified in the same manner as what limonene extractors are doing, which is steam distillation, then why isnt there a higher purity or mystery oil free grade of oil available commercially?

I wonder if any limonene folks have tested their mystery oil? Or their limonene after larger batches of extraction.

hash head

Does water and limonene form an azeotrope? Arent they immiscible? I dont think the lower BP of a mixture means azeotrope, especially if they are immiscible.
yes they form an azeotrope and it lowers the boiling point to below that of water.

Pangea

Veteran
I completely agree that the mixture creates a lower boiling point, but to be pedantic, as far as I am aware they are not forming a azeotrope as they are not miscible. A mixture of one or more components does not need be a azeotrope to create a lower BP.

B

Benny106

Shit man. Rip, I loved hearing his take on things via hash church.

whereisbrianV.

A triclamp failure while the vessel and cap were under pressure. Apparently it was a Co2/d-lime cxe type of extraction so the pressures where likely above 100bar. It's a very sad reminder of the dangers of Co2 extraction, not at all as benign as it's marketed as being.