What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Will the real Purple Kush stand up?

mazar_man

I think I read somewhere it is an OG Kush cross but I don’t know about that, OG Kush x Pakistani maybe, I forget. It’s def not related to the Vancouver Island Purps. My buddy’s have that cut. The VI Purps is closer related to the Mendo Purps although not the same cut as Mendo.

Wouldn’t surprise me at all if there is OG in it. I am making S1’s of it currently, interested to grow some out and see what shows up.

therevverend

Veteran
The large number for purple strains combined with both the demand for purple ganja and the demand for 'name brand' has led to a naming and strain ID clusterfuck. As an example I was mucking through Phylos' Galaxy and looked up Grape Ape.
They have been sent 3 different strains that were labeled 'Grape Ape'. One of those strains has 16 different clone samples that are identical to it. The people who sent in the clones called them
Cadillac Purple God's Gift God's Gift Grand Daddy Purple
Purple Urkle Banana Kush Purple Urkle Grand Daddy Purple
Purple Urkle Purple Alien OG Lavender Purple Kush
Juicy Fruit Bob's GDP Purple Kush UW/Purple Kush
This strain of 'Grape Ape' had a very common genotype, similar to many other strains. Also this strain had a lot of genetic variation, meaning it was probably a multi strain hybrid. The progeny of this strain will have a lot of variation, the opposite of a stable true breeding line.
I'm sure every person who sent in a clone sample was sure their plant was the 'real' GDP. Or Urkle. Or Grape Ape. or..
Because of the amount of genetic variation the offspring and the parents could have any number of phenotypes, dark green to purple to purplish red to dark purple. And they'd claim that's the 'real' purple kush or GDP or Grape Ape or whatever. Very silly..

Unk_OG

What’s in a name?

What’s in a name?

The large number for purple strains combined with both the demand for purple ganja and the demand for 'name brand' has led to a naming and strain ID clusterfuck. As an example I was mucking through Phylos' Galaxy and looked up Grape Ape.
They have been sent 3 different strains that were labeled 'Grape Ape'. One of those strains has 16 different clone samples that are identical to it. The people who sent in the clones called them
Cadillac Purple God's Gift God's Gift Grand Daddy Purple
Purple Urkle Banana Kush Purple Urkle Grand Daddy Purple
Purple Urkle Purple Alien OG Lavender Purple Kush
Juicy Fruit Bob's GDP Purple Kush UW/Purple Kush
This strain of 'Grape Ape' had a very common genotype, similar to many other strains. Also this strain had a lot of genetic variation, meaning it was probably a multi strain hybrid. The progeny of this strain will have a lot of variation, the opposite of a stable true breeding line.
I'm sure every person who sent in a clone sample was sure their plant was the 'real' GDP. Or Urkle. Or Grape Ape. or..
Because of the amount of genetic variation the offspring and the parents could have any number of phenotypes, dark green to purple to purplish red to dark purple. And they'd claim that's the 'real' purple kush or GDP or Grape Ape or whatever. Very silly..

I’m with you there for sure! I’m not searching for a name so much but rather, an identity, if that makes sense? I’m a medical grower for my wife and I. She has bad epilepsy and I have Cerebral Mylopothy, a spinal cord condition in the neck that causes bad muscle problems, hardening tendons and a hundred other things that I could probably write 10 paragraphs about. My theory is that something in the anthocyanins that cause the coloration also have something (higher CBD,CBN or maybe something in the anthocyanins themselves) that work the best for us. It makes my legs and arms feel the same way it feels when you put a 9 V battery on your tongue. I know it sounds weird to want that, LOL, but after a full day at work and the soreness in my muscles is brutal. My wife has days where she gets stuck staring at things, and numbness in her face, pre-siezure stuff. Green bud will make her symptoms better. Purple will make them go away. Period. If you’ve ever watched someone you love have a grand mall seizure, you would stick you whole head up thier ass every day if that’s what it took to prevent it. So, a name is irrelevant to me really except, I want to know what I’m growing, or as best I can, so the end product is the best it can be. This is research for me, not someone concerned with bag appeal. The strains that turn purple, without having to manipulate temperature, seem to be the best at relieving our symptoms. MY cuts, in MY room, all turn purple at normal 78°ish temps. I have been growing Mendocino Purple Kush (a cut that came by car from a friend in northern California) GDP and Triple Purple Doja for 3 years. I’ve come to know them pretty well. The Mendo doesn’t like feed temps higher than 68°or it claws really bad, the Doja and GDP don’t like heavy nutes etc. etc. Any clues as to the origin of my latest find (im leaning towards some sort of Pakistani pheno, that also seems to like cooler feed temps and can take full dose neuts.) will only help me grow it better. Isn’t that what we all should want first and foremost? Quality? Because at my house, it doesn’t make us money, it makes our days livable. Thanks to everyone for thier input!

Unk_OG

Day 16 of flower

Day 16 of flower

Almost through week 3. Temps are 74°/79°. 😎

Attachments

• 6488A2A3-4BD0-444D-B99F-BE8329858C01.jpg
    6488A2A3-4BD0-444D-B99F-BE8329858C01.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 11

Unk_OG

@SICE, very nice! Looks a larger version of my 2 branch backyard happy accident! It was only 2 branches (stems really) that were bright purple. Dense funky, fruity! Pulled 6.2 grams dry from her! Real tasty, great high.

Attachments

• 81A3AC3D-7FBF-4EA4-A17C-D127F170AEEC.jpg
    81A3AC3D-7FBF-4EA4-A17C-D127F170AEEC.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 14

stim

I really want some of what I remember as the PK (purple Kush) grape fruity pebbles taste one if not my all time fav. I really like the mellow high too. where is this strain in seed form? I would love to have that bad boy in my garden. Seriously I would put all breeding aside no more no more strawberries or tangie nothing just pk all day!

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
I really want some of what I remember as the PK (purple Kush) grape fruity pebbles taste one if not my all time fav. I really like the mellow high too. where is this strain in seed form? I would love to have that bad boy in my garden. Seriously I would put all breeding aside no more no more strawberries or tangie nothing just pk all day!

Purple Wreck from the shitheads DNA is very nice

One of the big N Cal guys was on IG the other day complaining that he had lost his Purple Urkle in the fires.. Given where he is, and all the top connections he knows, I was shocked to see him say that he had "been through 7 or 8 'legit clones' until I eventually refound her"

stim

thanks! I will check it out Ahh DNA I was just checking phylos the other day and saw a tangie directly in the jillybean map like as close as agent orange and space queen LOL so it seems it was jillybean all along :) thanks again
Purple Wreck from the shitheads DNA is very nice

One of the big N Cal guys was on IG the other day complaining that he had lost his Purple Urkle in the fires.. Given where he is, and all the top connections he knows, I was shocked to see him say that he had "been through 7 or 8 'legit clones' until I eventually refound her"

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
thanks! I will check it out Ahh DNA I was just checking phylos the other day and saw a tangie directly in the jillybean map like as close as agent orange and space queen LOL so it seems it was jillybean all along :) thanks again

LOL... As I said.. Shitheads.