What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry Sift - Large scale - Static tech...Anyone try these?

Wow is certianly has been a few years since Ive posted, and man, does it feel good. Things are getting better now, my wheels have been turning, and Ive been putting some thought into how we are going to deal with all this resin once we start breaking out the tractors and growing this stuff for real.

When I took a step back from IC, rosin was gaining traction, GG #4 was all anyone wanted to talk about, and "Heady's maine adventure" was the coolest thread going for small scale organic DIY'ers and hash church was the weekly gospel. Since then, I have really not kept up on anything new, hash church seems dead, (watched one of the more recent episodes and literally the same exact shit was being bitched about as a few years ago and now it seems to be very irregular compared to every sunday back in the day), Headys thread is long gone, and I dont have any idea what the cut of the week is y'all are chasing, so all that said, sorry if this has been discussed before, and it feels really good to get baxk in the mix.

My question is basically: Where are we at with mechanical dry sift seperation? Is anyone cleaning resin to super high quality on a large/efficient scale? Has anyone tried or brought up the idea of using the same equiptment used to electrically separate fiber and stems from tea leave? Large rollers are spun while pressed against felt to create a charge. The tea passes under the rollers on a belt, and the fibers are lifted by the static as the cleaned tea passes under. There are a bunch of variations of this, and Im sure it would need some tweaking to perfect it, but even if it can save 80% of the work, you can run such a ridiculous volume that its still win win. It also strikes me as a possible step in a supposedly secret ultra dry sift tech where heads are cleaned to 99% in almost no time...it just strikes me as something that someone who has traveled extensively through India would have definitely come across in the day.
picture.php

EsterEssence

Veteran
How do you plan to get the resin off the plant? I lived in Nepal for some years back in the 90's but there was no mechanical way of separating the resin heads except by hand with the correct size screens. Now the most popular way of vaping is the throw away pens. I'm sure if you figured out some way to separate the heads to 99% efficiently there would be a market. Rosin with all the terps and cannabanoids is much easier, the problem lies in making it the correct viscosity to work in the pens...

smoke4fun

Tony from Blue River who used to be on hashchurch says they have created a machine to make static drysift on a commercial scale.

cant wait for the day that a small table top machine is available for consumer use :dance013:

The trick is to find the physical differences between the products you want to separate.
Could be:size,shape,density, elasticity, polarity etc. etc.
Gravity tables might work.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
How do you plan to get the resin off the plant? I
Do you have access to dry ice? Cannabis, dry ice, screen drum. Let the chunks of dry ice freeze the cannabis, then turn the drum over a smooth clean surface. Careful, the trichomes go everywhere.

Question though, how does the static handle the powdered plant material? Would a different extraction be better? I have no interest in water hash, due to the loss of terpenes.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Douglas: I have a tumbler that I use in my garage on a freezing morning, and run it for a short period 2-3 min for the top quality that I use for rosin then tumble it for 15 min for ethanol extraction. The products come out dark unless you make a thin film on a piece of parchment. The products have all of the terpenes and taste like the "old time" hashes but most people say it is to dark. As far as static tech I have never used anything but screens and my hands, although sitting in a freezing cold room working is not something I like to do anymore. I like the rosin because there is no plant fiber in it...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Douglas: I have a tumbler that I use in my garage on a freezing morning, and run it for a short period 2-3 min for the top quality that I use for rosin then tumble it for 15 min for ethanol extraction. The products come out dark unless you make a thin film on a piece of parchment. The products have all of the terpenes and taste like the "old time" hashes but most people say it is to dark. As far as static tech I have never used anything but screens and my hands, although sitting in a freezing cold room working is not something I like to do anymore. I like the rosin because there is no plant fiber in it...
Sounds awesome, except for the cold. :)

I'm thinking tumbled will always be a bit darker than extracted, no? I'm not an expert by any means, so someone with more experience should be able to chime in here.

Most people are ignorant about cannabis, it's a fact. They should try the rosin or extract without looking at it first. ;)

EsterEssence

Veteran
Pine sap resin has color to it, so maybe the terps in cannabis are the same, I don't know I'm not a chemist. When I did separate the hash powder it was white until you pressed it then it turned dark, but was very good, we didn't know about rosin then this was 20 years ago. I don't press much bud into rosin the yield is low and always has little specks of plant material. The other popular methods all use some sort of chemicals which I don't care for, I have never tasted any of the carts that taste as good as a dab of well made low temp rosin from my tumbled material. The only reason I do the second tumble and ethanol extraction is so I don't throw away something that could be useful, and it tastes better than any of the carts on the market I have tried.

I am in a sense dropping all the knowledge I have you don't need anything but good starting material a cold room and the correct size screens to make the best hash, however it is to much work to make enough for a commercial level...

7poin0dexter7

Wow is certianly has been a few years since Ive posted, and man, does it feel good. Things are getting better now, my wheels have been turning, and Ive been putting some thought into how we are going to deal with all this resin once we start breaking out the tractors and growing this stuff for real.

When I took a step back from IC, rosin was gaining traction, GG #4 was all anyone wanted to talk about, and "Heady's maine adventure" was the coolest thread going for small scale organic DIY'ers and hash church was the weekly gospel. Since then, I have really not kept up on anything new, hash church seems dead, (watched one of the more recent episodes and literally the same exact shit was being bitched about as a few years ago and now it seems to be very irregular compared to every sunday back in the day), Headys thread is long gone, and I dont have any idea what the cut of the week is y'all are chasing, so all that said, sorry if this has been discussed before, and it feels really good to get baxk in the mix.

My question is basically: Where are we at with mechanical dry sift seperation? Is anyone cleaning resin to super high quality on a large/efficient scale? Has anyone tried or brought up the idea of using the same equiptment used to electrically separate fiber and stems from tea leave? Large rollers are spun while pressed against felt to create a charge. The tea passes under the rollers on a belt, and the fibers are lifted by the static as the cleaned tea passes under. There are a bunch of variations of this, and Im sure it would need some tweaking to perfect it, but even if it can save 80% of the work, you can run such a ridiculous volume that its still win win. It also strikes me as a possible step in a supposedly secret ultra dry sift tech where heads are cleaned to 99% in almost no time...it just strikes me as something that someone who has traveled extensively through India would have definitely come across in the day.
picture.php
Any move development on any of this working on trying to figure all this out would love to bounce ideas around with some other folks

mack 10

Veteran
There is also several machines out especially for hash production.
One has some kind of centrifugal action I think, it separates by size of particle and dispenses each to its relative spout.
Prob big doe though.

If you caught it a very simple an effective method was just dropped super low key.

Latest posts

Latest posts