What's new

Air quality killing plants? Strange problems please help

Recently I've been having issues in my big flower room. Any plants that I put it just wilt and yellow out and get a burning look. I'm very experienced and have never seen anything like this. The grow is in brand new ocean forest. All environmentals are controller perfectly with a sentinel. Co2 1500ppm. R/o water.

Here's what I think it could be.

1. Currently the room is sealed air tight. There is no fresh air or exhaust going out of the room. It's cooled with a mini split and co2 at 1500ppm. Should there be fresh air exchanged periodically?

2. I have a rubber mats that are 7ft×20ft from Menard. Is it possible the mat could be off gassing something toxic in my air? Is there any way to test it?

3. Water is purified I fill a reservoir once every few months but keep only air stones in it. Would this be ok to use? I mix everything in it when I put it in.

I put rooted clones under a 600 watt dual end bulbs that was 6 ft away. I think that burned them also...

Any input appreciated on ideas

These were plants that were 100% healthy and within 1 week in the new room they looked like this. They went from a fluorescent to a 600w dual end 6 ft away. I just think it's something to do with air quality. All the new clones are just yellowing and stunted

Attachments

• 20161120_171804.jpg
    20161120_171804.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20161120_171801.jpg
    20161120_171801.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 5

Dog Star

Veteran
I think your lights are too far away,also your plants look like they dont enjoy
a soil-mix,hard PH fluctuations i read on them.

6 feet is 180 centimeters and you use 600W light,if you are very experienced like you claim
than you cant made such mistakes and put a light so far away,

for 600 W maximum 2 feets,even less if you know what you doing..

Lack of light would have to be extreme to do that and over a very prolonged period, yes lights should be closer but I wouldn't fix that right now with the obvious problems you're experiencing even with them far away. All that will do is add more stress to them. I'm going to assume that if they were healthy before they went in there, then you didn't mistakenly water/feed them with something u shouldn't once they were in there.

There definitely should be low air exchange in room even with CO2. Is your CO2 source bottled or from generator? Propane generators have a nasty habit of putting out carbon monoxide when burners are old and even with brand new burners, I would not trust a generator without any air exchange at all. If you're using bottled, then yes it could be off gassing of something in there.

Also if using a generator, make very sure the burners are for propane and not natural gas and vice versa. Saw someone make that mistake and his plants got real bad real quick.

What happened to the generator with the wrong setup? Ive used these for years and never noticed an issue. Yes I am using a burner with old burners tips on it. Anyway to test for monoxide?

I think your lights are too far away,also your plants look like they dont enjoy
a soil-mix,hard PH fluctuations i read on them.

6 feet is 180 centimeters and you use 600W light,if you are very experienced like you claim
than you cant made such mistakes and put a light so far away,

for 600 W maximum 2 feets,even less if you know what you doing..

There dual end bulbs, even turned down to 600 burned the plants

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Are the plants growing fine in the veg room, and symptoms appear after they enter the flower room?

The plants look very small to me, somebody said lumen shock in your other thread, could be I guess.

Try veg them for longer so they are bigger and more robust at the flip!

Yes Home Depot sells digital Carbon Monoxide detectors for about 50 bucks. If you are running a Co2 generator you should have this at all times as a simple safety precaution for yourself, much less your plants. If your flames out of the generator are yellow, in fact if they are anything other than completely blue, even yellow tips to the flame, then the burners are bad or something is off with your valves.

packerfan79

Veteran
Even in a sealed room you should vent stale air during the night cycle. 1500 ppm of co2 is way too high. I would go with 1000 to 1200 max. Lights are too far 2 or 3 feet should be fine. I would not be using the same water for months, doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I don't buy into lumen shock except in extreme circumstances. I've put newly rooted clones 4 feet from my 1150 Phantom's, and no shock. Every time I have experienced shock which I attributed to lights, it ended up being another factor causing it which I discovered later.

Dog Star

Veteran
There dual end bulbs, even turned down to 600 burned the plants

Cause a main problem is soil mix and lack of light,

in mine toughts you need to flush good and than feed easily
included all NPK nutes,secondary and micro.

Also then dont forget to put a lights lower,max 2 feets from
plant tips.

In the midtime lower your PPM of Co2 on 800-900ppms or less cause now
when they are hurted this Co2 just made them more problems.

I use Gavita 1000 DE on 1150W future all the time inside tent and
there is not any burns,45-55 cm i am usually from tips or colas.

packerfan79

Veteran
If you are using ocean Forrest I would change that quickly . Much better soils out there.better yet build your own soil.

Levitationofme

I like the exchange of air idea. Bring in some fresh air vent a little out.
I would think the stuff transpired by the plants might build up something
in the air.

packerfan79

Veteran
How about roots organic? What's wrong with ocean forest? I noticed roots has alot more perlite and aeration.

Roots organic is great. Ocean forest has enough nutes for the first week or so. I . Think it can be to strong for smaller plants. I like to control what my plants get not have the manufacturer add nutes.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
Drunken is it possible to provide CO2 from a bottled source for a while to eliminate the propane burner as a suspect? I am thinking there may be ethylene build up from the burning process. If problems persist with bottled CO2 then at least you know the burner is not at fault!

Wow thanks guys! With yalls help I think it's figured out! After you stated talking about the co2 burners I noticed the flames were burning with orange and red tips. I put a carbon monoxide alarm inside the room it didn't go off but doesn't mean it's not there. I think the monitor only pickups 11ppm or higher. I read 4ppm can be toxic to humans over a period of time. I defiantly thought it was an the air. I'll look into ethylene toxicity now.