What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Questions on how to increase terpenes: light spectrum, cooler temps etc

Factors affecting taste

Factors affecting taste

All this stuff about MH lights seems misguided. MH has a spectrum that is better suited for veg becuz it is most similar to mid day sun in summer. Hps has more red just like the light of fall that travels through more atmosphere at an angle in its path to earth. You want to bring back a summer day to hasten the life cycle? Mimic nature at least.

I'm gonna try the reptile lights myself.

As far as taste my understanding is that geno/pheno is job one. Not all seeds have taste and smell just like not all boys are NFL material.

Terpenes volatize at temps as low at 75. I raise my lights to the ceiling at the end of wk 6. I drop canopy temp from 80 ish to 75 and cut co2. I drop res to under 65. It's fall now as far as the plant knows so it's gotta get cooler. Right?

The last things that affect taste are the feed and the flush. I drop base nutes for wk 7 and just use some hardeners and sugars. I want my plants to use up nutes and start yellowing. That tinny taste is residual nutes. Last two weeks is basically a flush zyme/sugar /mag EDTA

To preserve aroma all my shyt gets chopped & dried at 60 RH 60 degree in the dark. Cured in dark under 70. It smells good and tastes good.

I wanna know what u end up doin.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gibb. is touchy stuff !!!!!!!!!!!
I was lookin out for you ....but you seem to know what your up against!
Thank you for the link it should make for a good read.
shag

I appreciate you had my back SB - :tiphat:

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IMO most is just harvested too early. I have made this mistake numerous times. Impatience, space restrictions, wishful thinking, they all caused me to take plants down as soon as they looked ready.

I let a single c99 go another week after I was sure it looke finished. I usually take my c99 at 8 weeks. The 9 week plant is MUCH better in terms of smell, trichimes coverage and general appearance. I wish I had gone 10weeks.

I have plants in flower now and I will not take one before 10 weeks.

All my previous grows yielded good but not great product. I am almost cpnvinced this was due to early harvest.

Been there, done that RonSmooth,
The difference an extra week makes is amazing! However, if you let it go too long, you lose some THC but gain some other stuff, so it's a bit 'couchy' on the smoke. A bit earlier tends to get you a lighter, more enervating buzz but without any real lasting power. I harvest mine now after they fluoresce and when there's about 15 - 20% amber trichs. In the end though I guess it's a judgment thing. On the whole though Ron, you're dead right. A lot of grows come down earlier than perhaps they should.
Happy growing mate :tiphat:

nappybutbald

Wow good ready but why no one has mentioned Co2, it really does wonders for your indoor plants stronger structure thicker rock hard Buds. And now you can buy Co2 in a bag which last unto 8 months for 30 bucks. No more refilling tanks no burning gas none of that, already putting out a nice amount of Co2. Last three grows in a 6X6 tent hung high opposite corner of the air scrubber heavier than oxygen, fan on 24 hours mixing the in the tent and what a smell what a taste wow just after two weeks of curing, 2 Cum Laude, 2 White Widow and 2 Blue OG my personal stash cures for min of 2 months.

Latest posts

Latest posts