What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moisture analizer

GrassMan

Veteran
Hi,

I would like to know which is the most accurate moisture analyzer for dried buds. As I know there are a few technologies to measure moisture. Basically I found those ones:

- Halogen or IR: this tech consists on a scale with heating element. The scale weights the sample and memorizes the weight. Then it heats it at a specific temp (usually 105 Celsius) for a determined time and weights the sample again. The differencial weight determines the moisture.
The main problem with this tech is that many VOC evaporates at lower temp and results will be corrupted

- RF: this is the tech used to measure the moisture on seeds and beans. The sample is introduced in a small opened container where RF are emitted. As I understand this tech uses dopler effect to calculate the moisture
Main problem is that all models That I found are calibrated for hard shell beans.

- Karl-Ficher: this tech consist on solution with reagents and differencial weight. It can separate water from VOC with help of a special oven
Main problem is complexity and price (around 10000$)

- Then we have the typical humidity meter with different probes: soil, hay, grains…
Didn’t find any probe that convince me.

None of this techs (beside Karl-Fisher which I never used) convince me.

Which tech/method do you think is the most appropriate for cannabis buds?

Thanks in advanced.

Halogen or IR: this tech consists on a scale with heating element. The scale weights the sample and memorizes the weight. Then it heats it at a specific temp (usually 105 Celsius) for a determined time and weights the sample again. The differencial weight determines the moisture.
The main problem with this tech is that many VOC evaporates at lower temp and results will be corrupted

Could you dry it at a lower temp for a longer time period? I know if I leave a bud out for a couple days (in 70*F, ~20% humidity environment) it is bone dry.

Latest posts

Latest posts