What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

can an expert help me here please

guy fawkes

Veteran
ive been talking with a mate of mine..whos abit mad but sound guy..who say all his best herb has come from regular seed never fems, i thought it was all in is head but after a smoke and a think.. as you do. .i relised the same thing most of my best smokes(not yeild) came from regular seeds,
my question is this do plants need both x and y to be there best or are we both mad lol
cheers

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
its true that most people prefer reg seeds... as in my opinion to they produce better weed... im gonna say yes probably because of the probability of ratio's to female to intersexed seeds that are popped, not one being better then another....

I know ive gotten a few gems off a radom pollinated produce 1-3 seeds... Them are female. I do beleive the chem was found as female seeds... In fact a SHIT ton of seeds are found in just a few seeds which more often are femmed as you would have tons of seeds if a male was in your room...

so while the argument is there... id have to say no... luck of the draw. however it doesnt help the cannabis genome bottlenecking shit together over and over....

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think most of the demand is for fem seeds and thats why lots of people sell them.

but then there is the 'righteous prejudice' that many people have because they feel that it's somehow wrong to self cannabis, and also i think a lot of peeps feel that fem seeds are for newbs or something, and being 'against' them makes them seem more experienced or old-school.

fact is that selfing had been a popular and valid horticultural practice for many years, and that its the way that many plants naturally breed.

as for strength, i can see no reason why fem plants would be less potent than regular plants.

VG

Last edited:

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
i used to winge about them because i suspected that in the future everyone would just use all the hype lines and self them over other hype lines which i feared would make seed producers even lazier.. i could have been more wrong..

plants cant need an x and y to be their best because they dont have an x and y just xx's and as soon as you use a male there is your y..

S

Sat X RB

this is the sex-altered fertilisation versus male fertilise female argument, yes?

I 've been carrying on a sativa variety outdoors for 16 consecutive grows using seed from sex-altereds.

mine have not regressed (careful seedling selection, though). they keep getting stronger ... or I 'm becoming more sensitive to smoke with increasing age ...

cheers!

anchient

i think most of the demand is for fem seeds and thats why lots of people sell them.

but then there is the 'righteous prejudice' that many people have because they feel that it's somehow wrong to self cannabis, and also i think a lot of peeps feel that fem seeds are for newbs or something, and being 'against' them makes them seem more experienced or old-school.

fact is that selfing had been a popular and valid horticultural practice for many years, and that its the way that many plants naturally breed.

as for strength, i can see no reason why fem plants would be less potent than regular plants.

VG
i have only grown fem seeds for 2 years, but i also grow regular. i have never noticed any difference, and we keep them seperate. making my own cs seeds this year. you get to breed the best you have, and fem seeds. i have been growing a long time in many differant places. instead of lossing 1 half of my crop to males i get to use my spaces better and don't have to check everyday for males. saves time and space.[ wow that sounds good! ia'm saving Time and Space ] i think the only way to tell would be to have samples tested. nice post, makes you thing about it. i hope others growers reply. anchient

G

Guest 315072

in a way. this is correct.. but not in the potency department. regular seed is better then fem seed in the way of breeding...!!! not many breeders start off with fem seed..

maybe people think fem bud isnt as good.. but in reality.. it doesnt matter weather its female or reg.. for bud to come out testing high in cbd cbn thc thcv .. buttttt.. since fem seeds are more likely to hermi with stress. u could say that because of the intersex thing yes.. some of the so called Females that are Hermi.. mite not be as strong as a straight female..

or because the fact a fem that hermis stops producing everything and works on seed production..... that its not going to be as potent?

i dont think it matters.. i just think if u wana make ur own seeds and have less likely ofa chance of hermi . go with reg seeds.. too many fem seed lines out there that will hermi to shit on u .. put it this way.. ive only heard fem seeds hermi on me so far.!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wouldnt claim to be an expert btw, but i think i might be able to make some folks understand the validity of fems.

if there is a tendency for fem seeds to hermi more, then it is the fault of the breeder for his bad selection. all cannabis plants have the ability to produce pollen when treated with CS or similar.

now if you have a plant that herms in your room and you grow out the so-called fem seeds then of course the same thing may happen to the progeny... but thats because the parent was badly selected, or 'selection' happened by accident.

making S1s/fems has its place imo. it allows you to cross together two elite females, or it allows you to self an elite to see if it's true breeding enough to have some reasonable proportion of progeny that are close to the parent.

but then it is difficult to take that much further, because you have no males and would have to outcross or create more fem seeds from some of the progeny.

so if i was trying to create an ibl i would use regular breeding processes. but if i was trying to get a seed version of an elite or make a killer F1 cross then fem'd seeds is a perfectly valid option.

all perfectly good practices in the right time and place imo, horses for courses

VG

guy fawkes

Veteran
Cheers for the input fellas, unless some boffin turns up with scientific facts and proves otherwise il treat them as equels from now