What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Noticed any adverse effects of cannabis use?

SetHeh

Since this is sub-forum for old stoners, I think the following question fits here perfectly:

Have you noticed any adverse effects on your physical and/or mental health after long years of cannabis use?

I'm still just a relatively young "grasshopper", but I had an interesting discussion with my friend (age 45) today about long-term effects of MJ. She was very upset because I posted a link on my Facebook page about a pro-cannabis documentary (Medical Cannabis and its Impact on Human Health). She said that she has a ton of experience on the subject of cannabis and claimed that long-term use is very bad for your health. I wasn't entirely convinced as I like to base my conclusions on scientific data, but I would also like to hear as many opinions as possible from old stoners here.

Thank you!

b8man

Veteran
I'd question exactly what your friend meant because every study i've read has come to the conclusion that no, it's not going to do you much harm. Much less than drinking and probably drinking coffee too.

Make sure she's talking about cannabis's effect as a drug as opposed to the effect of burning organic matter and breathing it in, which could be a bit dangerous and is still an area of debate. Every old person I know who has smoked all their lives are a bit hippyish, but healthy and sane.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
simply ask her to quantify and qualify her observations

something like, in my observational experience I recall 5 people who smoked for x amount of years and suffered the following symptoms because of it

when shes done ask her to compare them to modern pharmacology and ask how a substance with a higher LD50 (that means its harder to die from toxicity) than water can be compared to drugs that have relatively low LD50s and a percentage of prescribed patients who commit suicide have liver failure or a plethora of other stated and known side effects which lead to death

Last edited:

GrowbagUK

Nope, no health problems from MJ for me after 21 years of use. I am a smoker so my lungs have obviously suffered - but I make sure to maintain a good exercise regime and am still relatively fit.
In some periods of my life I have probably abused MJ to fill other voids in my life - a kind of distraction technique but still far better than soaking my woes away in alcohol or other substances which do harm health.

F

Fastcast

About forty years of use,and I'm still a live.Just some pain now and then from bong hits.I do abuse this great plant though!Believe it or not I can function very well medicated.

P

pine boy

I have been a toker since 1969.
I don't have any adverse effects from medium-heavy cannabis use that I am aware of.
I will try hard to only consume My homegrown from here on.

O

OrganicOzarks

The only thing negative is this thread. :)

No problems here. except when I run out of my favorite, and then I have to rely on the second, third,fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eight, ninth, tenth, eleventh, twelfth,thirteenth, fourteenth, fifteenth, and sixteenth strings. Thanks god they are all good. I wish I had more choices though. :)

Piel

Veteran
I smoked a lot in the late seventies and had no problems getting two degrees, I´ve now been smoking daily (medically) for about four years and I have nothing worse than occational redness of the eyes ;)

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
i dont think people would have continued smoking it for so many years if it did adversely effect them,,

i know or have met quite a few whose brains are not right (or strong enough) for cannabis,,

it makes them think far faster than they are used to which they fight and then get confused and sleepy,, doesnt damage them though,, its just trying to wake them up which many people dont like,,

some do go off the rails a bit if they mix booze and ganja as well,,

paper_clip

The only effects I can think of is my priorities and 'things to do' get overlooked when I run out. I can function without it but things are just so boring and dull and pointless without it. But that's just me and how I feel at this point in my life.

SetHeh

Make sure she's talking about cannabis's effect as a drug as opposed to the effect of burning organic matter and breathing it in.

Her main concern was the effect of cannabis smoke on lungs, especially in recreational users. She claimed that it can seriously damage your lungs and f**k you up mentally.

@Weird, she said that she know people, old hippies (her words), who got lung damage because of long-term exposure to cannabis smoke. She also made claims that cannabis seriously messed up her health (asthma, urinary problems etc.). She did not, however, base her claims on any scientific research.

Now, I don't believe everything I hear. Like I said earlier, I trust solid scientific proof more that some claims that are based on very subjective speculation (and possibly on prejudice). I'm just curious what old stoners here on ICMag think about this. I've been experimenting with entheogenic plants for 13 years and so far I've had only positive experiences - of course, I use them, not abuse them.

komrade komura

i have been smoking since 1971. Got an MBA along the way...didn't slow me one bit.

Long term effects?

Low sperm count...because I get high and wanna fuck

Low sperm count...because I get high and will listen to her problems more sympathetically and then she wants to fuck me.

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
if you wanna fuck then low sperm count is a good thing surely,,

less than 1% of male sperm are capable of conception anyway,, the rest are involved with sperm competition as gross as it is,,

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Since this is sub-forum for old stoners, I think the following question fits here perfectly:

Have you noticed any adverse effects on your physical and/or mental health after long years of cannabis use?

I'm high-functioning autistic and have spent more time tinkering around 'upstairs' in my head than most people have.

After nearly 30 years I can tell you with certainty.... Absolutely amazing health benefits from the cannabis. Bad mental effects from most indica-dom strains, superior performance from sativa's/sativa-dom strains.

Nothing but health problems and mental issues with contaminated meds. Mainly heavy nutrients, insecticides, dust, mold, decomposition, etc... etc.. etc...

Never found really clean meds till I moved to California... trying the crap from the non-med states again was a real eye opener.

So... anyone who has anything negative to say about cannabis should really look into whether their 'Info' is based on real cannabis... or bullshit. Most people it's bullshit.

Your friend is programmed... like my parents and my siblings and nearly everyone around me. Getting wierder and wierder as the years drag on and the public STILL doesn't understand the full power of cannabis. What a tragedy.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

BudToaster

Veteran
toker since 1967, the last 10 years using a vaporizer exclusively. daily.

this body is getting old and more or less wearing out, but not from the cannabis -- just from the stress of being alive and trying to make it in this world.

manpan

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this.. it was all in the news a couple of weeks ago. Too lazy to Google, but the findings of a 20-year study on the effects of consistent use of cannabis compared to non-cannabis smokers and cigarette smokers showed that there was NO effect on lung function for the regular cannabis users. It was a huge study with thousands of test subjects.

That's a very significant finding. You can smoke herb for 20 years, every day, and your lung function is not affected.

Edit: Here you go:
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/337499/title/Light_pot_smoking_easy_on_lungs

The details in the article are a little different from what I remember reading, but it's mostly there...

Don Dump

the man doctors said would never moonwalk again
Veteran
chronic maijuana use and cyclic vomitting

chronic maijuana use and cyclic vomitting

I am nowhere close to being an old stoner, but I have been smoking/vaping for like 8 years, probably 5 years of everyday use

ok none of you are going to believe this, people on weed message boards refuse to accept there could be anything bad about weed. But I have literally almost died from this fucking cyclic vomitting shit, a couple times

started happening about 4 years ago, but has gotten worse the last couple years, if I get sick for any reason, I get really sick, nonstop puking for what can be days, can't keep anything down, sometimes I eventually get better, or if I dont after like 2 days I get dangerously dehyrdrated, have to go to hospital where they pump me up with fluids, and gravol or zofran and then I am usually better. this happened a few times a year for the last 4 years. best they could say is I had cyclic vomitting syndrome, which is a mystery condition basically

then this year I was at the hospital again, and the doctor mentioned it could maybe be caused by chronic marijuana use. OREALLY? I happen to consume more way weed than anybody I know. I was a heavy bong smoker for several years, mostly oil towards the end. then the last 3 years or so I have been vaping a lot of weed, and hash. and btw if you don't vape, it is like mainlining THC.

and apparently Im not the only person in my small city, when I was at the hosptital the nurse said there was another guy that would come in with the same problem as me, turned out he was also a heavy user (sounds like a cool guy :joint:)

there isn't much info on it, but it would appear I have a case of so-called Cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome. the compulsive bathing part I dont get, but maybe I am just too sick to stand up in the shower for long, haven't tried taking a bath to be honest. I refused to believe it at first, the hot bathing thing seemed too dumb. but then I read more into it...

couple interesting links:
I cant find some of the better ones I've read. did I mention the short term memory loss from vaping too much?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid_hyperemesis_syndrome
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2658859/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1774264/
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/03/090320102130.htm
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/01/120109102920.htm
http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=2877

so this really sucks. apparently too much smoking/vaping can be bad, if you're me anyway. so I am taking a break for a month or so... see if how I feel then. I probably shouldn't go back to what I was doing, pretty much constant vaping whenever I was home, its just so darn tasty though:blowbubbles:

SetHeh

@Don Dump, thanks for sharing. I believe you. Just like any other substance (or plant) on this Earth, cannabis has its positive and also some negative effects - especially if you abuse it. This vomiting sickness is very interesting; I've never heard of it before.

so I am taking a break for a month or so... see if how I feel then.
I hope you get better. Perhaps you should also consider undertaking a good detox (fasting then eating super foods, lots of exercise, sauna etc.) I just read an article in High Times Magazine (Aug. 2011) that talks about a scientific study which has shown that physical exercise diminishes psychological craving for cannabis, because body produces its own endocannabinoids during and after exercise.

sutra1

Yeah, and if you drink too much water you'll drown. M-O-D-E-R-A-T-I-O-N in most things is no vice. Been smoking weed since I was 12, I'm 54 now. No worries.

Latest posts

Latest posts