What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

concrete basement grow room wall design

angel4us

ICMag Donor
hey all starting legal grow op in michigan and have full basement with 9 foot walls. my goal is sealed rooms with split ac . two rooms -flower and veg/clone /mom.
Should i frame walls of lumber and insulate and seal in plastic??? and would i want to insulate outer concrete walls???

OR should i just use cinder block and have bricklayers lay block, very cheap and fast, and then use white epoxy pool paint??????
any ideas or past experince in basement grows please ring in peace

ronbo51

Veteran
Don't use block. Way too much. I like foil faced foam insulation, especially on the outside walls. You can glue it directly or tapcon a wood strip or two to hold it up. For inside walls you should just tapcon a plate into the floor and conventionally frame and insulate and wire. Beats the shit out of hauling and laying block. There is a product available at Lowes/HD called fiberglass reinforced plastic. It is the ultimate wall product. USDA approved for food production areas. It comes in sheets and is washable, you can spray it with bleach. Bit pricey but performs top notch Good luck.

I have always stuck with good old lumber and drywall, with vapor barrier and insulation. Super quiet, if you use green board and moisture/mold resistance flat white paint you have a pretty good, durable reflective surface. Can't beat it for wiring and installing things into the wall if needed also.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Frame it in with 2X4 and line it with OSB. Menard's has OSB covered on one side with foil. It is about $10 a sheet. This will allow you to screw anything anywhere. Seal the corners and edges with furnase tape so that moisture does not get to the sheet edges.

For the door use black plastic and use Velcro, or a zipper from the hydro store.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
I have always stuck with good old lumber and drywall, with vapor barrier and insulation. Super quiet, if you use green board and moisture/mold resistance flat white paint you have a pretty good, durable reflective surface. Can't beat it for wiring and installing things into the wall if needed also.

what is the vapor barrier for?

and are you speaking of the plastic houses get wrapped in before siding or bricks go on?

Someday I might get around to decorating...

Someday I might get around to decorating...

Still haven't decided... Fuck it !! Peace homies

picture.php

picture.php

Right on homie 1000w hortilux hps and 8in vortex is pullin 40oz of sour ... Good enough for now!! Peace

picture.php

nukklehead

Don't use block. Way too much. I like foil faced foam insulation, especially on the outside walls. You can glue it directly or tapcon a wood strip or two to hold it up. For inside walls you should just tapcon a plate into the floor and conventionally frame and insulate and wire. Beats the shit out of hauling and laying block. There is a product available at Lowes/HD called fiberglass reinforced plastic. It is the ultimate wall product. USDA approved for food production areas. It comes in sheets and is washable, you can spray it with bleach. Bit pricey but performs top notch Good luck.

:yeahthats... xcept if you already have a coal room ( WTF is that??)
Kind of like PL lighting.. if you dont know... you dont know..
I run the above... buddy runs the coal room..... life is good:tiphat:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I had a cold air intake on my furnace return line. I capped that and use the intake as my exhaust. How many times do you open the door on your house every day. I sure don't need to suck cold air in from outside every time my furnace turns on. Which for me is less than the front door gets opened.

Veggia farmer

Im in a situation like this.

Condensation as the tropics her right now.. singing in the rain kinda style.. built a flower room, can have temps at 18 c at the walls, around in the room 18-20c and middle of 25 c around the canopy.. 75-86 RH..

They grow fine, but I dont want rain on the equipment and floors..

Have not isolated the concrete walls yet. and ceiling.. those too! the other rooms over the basement gets cold in the winter.. cold, maybe even a little freezing..

Thinking about: 2x4 frame, styrofoam, vapor barrier plastic, OSB, paint or other reflectic surface..

Maybe another flower room in there, atleast a mom/cutting/vegg room (another location at the moment) AND a would love a room for other stuff/tools/work place/ tent for drying..

Latest posts

Latest posts