What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best way to dry bubble hash?

BlazinAzn

so I can dry my Ice water Extract in my vacuum chamber?
please elaborate?,
or show me a freeze dryer thats not $4000...
need alternatives to BHO...
thanks

I've heard of cubangrower putting his bubble in a vacuume chamber at 50-55°F for 24 hours. The freeze dryer I have is from harvest right and I'm blessed to be able to use it. I am like most of you, I would never drop 4 grand on a freeze dryer simply for hash purposes. I am just lucky enough that some people I know will let me have access to it any time I'd like to use it.

As soon as my resin is extracted it goes in the freezer immediately after some moisture is blotted out on a cloth towel. The frozen material then goes into the freeze dryer for 24 hours and put into back into the freezer. Once the material is cold enough to work with I use 2 seperate kitchen strainers to microplane with varying with two different screen sizes for a better end product. My tools are frozen while I microplane the frozen hash back onto the parchment. It then goes back into the freeze dryer for 24 hours and is collected in jars and placed into the fridge or freezer to cure but its ready to smoke the second it comes out.

The freeze dryer auto adjusts itself giving more/less dry time depending on how much moisture it detects. Default settings consists of a freeze time of 9 hours and dry time of 7 hours. During the frozen setting temperatures in the freeze dryer drop to -30 - -50°F before the vaccume pump turns on for the drying process and pressure drops below >500mTorr. The plates that sit under the trays heat up and cool down during the entire drying process and you can adjust how high of a temperature they go to and it drops down to -50°F. I keep mine at 50-55°F.

That freeze dryer is definately a game changer. Whole plant fresh frozen extract dried and ready to smoke within 3 days of washing, extracting, and drying.:tiphat:

BlazinAzn

Put your resin in some empty tea bags inbetween some parchment paper and rosin press that crap with a hair straightener on its lowest setting. Collect your rosin and enjoy:yummy:. My lungs won't miss BHO anymore...:joint:

S

sourpuss

I've heard of cubangrower putting his bubble in a vacuume chamber at 50-55°F for 24 hours. The freeze dryer I have is from harvest right and I'm blessed to be able to use it. I am like most of you, I would never drop 4 grand on a freeze dryer simply for hash purposes. I am just lucky enough that some people I know will let me have access to it any time I'd like to use it.

As soon as my resin is extracted it goes in the freezer immediately after some moisture is blotted out on a cloth towel. The frozen material then goes into the freeze dryer for 24 hours and put into back into the freezer. Once the material is cold enough to work with I use 2 seperate kitchen strainers to microplane with varying with two different screen sizes for a better end product. My tools are frozen while I microplane the frozen hash back onto the parchment. It then goes back into the freeze dryer for 24 hours and is collected in jars and placed into the fridge or freezer to cure but its ready to smoke the second it comes out.

The freeze dryer auto adjusts itself giving more/less dry time depending on how much moisture it detects. Default settings consists of a freeze time of 9 hours and dry time of 7 hours. During the frozen setting temperatures in the freeze dryer drop to -30 - -50°F before the vaccume pump turns on for the drying process and pressure drops below >500mTorr. The plates that sit under the trays heat up and cool down during the entire drying process and you can adjust how high of a temperature they go to and it drops down to -50°F. I keep mine at 50-55°F.

That freeze dryer is definately a game changer. Whole plant fresh frozen extract dried and ready to smoke within 3 days of washing, extracting, and drying.:tiphat:

that's the way to do it!!! :tiphat:

Red Bear

wow, BlaznAzn, thanks. i have never heard of this but im gonna try to freeze my fresh wet bubble with dry ice and toss in my vacuum chamber for a day, see what happens.

i could fit my chamber in my kegerator at 38 degrees F, hmmm

thanks

BlazinAzn

No problem. Quality over quantity. That's why full melt goes for more than BHO at most places depending on quality of processing but you can sure bet I will never let go of my melts. This is the first time I've ever microplaned and used a freeze dryer for my bubble and I am amazed and completely satisfied with the results. Pretty soon I'll only be a resin farmer growing for extractions. Next investment is gonna be a walk in freezer to do extractions in :).

myrtyl

I feel your pain man

I feel your pain man

Hey Sam!

Sorry to dredge this up after so long has passed, but your suggestion intrigued me and I can't find any information on it, so I figured I'd go to the source...

I am a Prop 215 patient and do ice water extractions as frequently as I have time. I was working with some fresh frozen material a couple weeks ago and, while the results were absolutely amazing in every respect (taste, melt, effect, etc.) a lot of the product came out in such a sticky, putty-like state that all my normal methods for increasing the surface-to-air ratio to ensure even and effective air-drying proved ineffective. Once air dried, the product still turns to insanely sticky goo after a few seconds of body heat contact. As a result, my sturdiest efforts to pass it through a sieve, a micro plane, even to cut it into small pieces with a knife were unsuccessful. I even went so far as to freeze it, freeze my microplane, and then try to plane it in the freezer. But even the heat from my gloved hand in a cold environment was too much to maintain a workable composition.

So I'm sitting with my patty on ice trying to figure out how the hell to process it without it molding up on me. Then I find your post at the end of this informative thread and go on to look up information on the process of sublimation, which, as I have come to understand it, is the active process in freeze-drying where bringing the material's temperature way down and then decreasing pressure using a vacuum pump causes the frozen water particles to instantly vaporize and be removed from the material.

This seems like a brilliant idea for drying ice water extractions! Compared to air-drying, even in a humidity-controlled environment, it seems like you get a much more complete, consistent drying effect while also maintaining extreme cold to preserve all the volatile terpenes. Surprisingly enough though, I can't really find any information outside of your post that would suggest anyone has actually tried such a method. Do you have experience doing this? If so, how have you found the process and what equipment did you use? Any extra information would be very helpful, as I'm finding basically nothing!

I feel your pain man, I love the idea/taste of fresh frozen bubble but when processing it afterwards it gets so sticky before i can even plane a gram of it. Have you found any alternatives to planing this?

woolybear

Veteran
thanks for the info Azn. 4k wouldn't be that bad if you can finance it...

Not too bad considering I've seen a stainless steel ice washing machine I saw on instagram for 14k.

BlazinAzn

Some whole plant fresh frozen unknown outdoor strain I washed and processed ready to go back into the freeze dryer for a 2nd cycle.:tiphat:

Hey Blazin, I have heard of micro planing but the freeze dryer is new to me. After shutting down my shatter lab of 2 years I am ready for some new concentrates and I only want to go the solventless route. Thanks for sharing your tips, I cant wait to try some freeze dryed full melt.

Calwax

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=63826&pictureid=1508099&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Some whole plant fresh frozen unknown outdoor strain I washed and processed ready to go back into the freeze dryer for a 2nd cycle.:tiphat:

i just got my harvest right! i can't wait to get it freezing! THere is another gentleman on IG by the name of michiganmademelts or something like that, and Norstargenetics. they freeze dry the entire paddy, then microplane and store, it would seem the microplaning and refreezing would be backwards as far as production times are concerned, Any reason you do this?

BlazinAzn

i just got my harvest right! i can't wait to get it freezing! THere is another gentleman on IG by the name of michiganmademelts or something like that, and Norstargenetics. they freeze dry the entire paddy, then microplane and store, it would seem the microplaning and refreezing would be backwards as far as production times are concerned, Any reason you do this?
Its just all preference. I like dealing with powder that looks like sift but lately I've been keeping my hash in patties.

Calwax

I've found after yiu dry the whole patty the pow pow comes pretty naturally . Love the tech bro. You're clearly a man of quality . Tip of the hat. Hash makers, get on this waves of futures.

leftkidney

I have a Harvest Right coming it should be here in a few days I cant wait to use it but I have a few questions

does anyone have a few links that explain this process better, I know what to do I simply make the bubble and put it in the frezer then freezer dry it

but what about settings of the machine, and what are the things to look for that tell you its close to done

I have made bubble in the past but never dried it properly I would end up putting it on top of a dehumidifier and it would work but always would taste a little off so I just stopped making it - now I have this freeze drier coming I am going to make some again because I dont want to smoke bho anymore and I need full melt, I made some dry sift it was full melt but took forever I just need something that will work on a larger scale

hashmas

drying bubble hash

drying bubble hash

while in bottom of your bag place it between fold of a towel put hand gently on top don't press hard then scrape it onto your pad again fold it over inside towel place hand again gently just enough to dry some and make a puck.
Put the puck inside of a plastic container place it in a frost free freezer let it freeze. lay out a sheet of parchment paper about 30 inches long fold the ends over and crease in down the center of the length of paper.
When the hash has frozen use a really fine cheese grader and do it over the paper spreading it out don't let it pile up. a nice thin layer covering as much of the paper as possible if it starts to melt in your hand put it back into he freezer till its hard again repeat until all out on paper then let it dry depending where you live takes 48 hours up to three days in 60 - 70 degree temp.
when ready fold paper at crease so it all goes to the center crease, tip one end up pour it into glass jar I use 8 oz canning jars.
If you want it in chunk form press it.
You can keep it that way for months I have had some I put in the freezer like that in the jar and forgot it It was pushed to the back a little over two years later opened it up smelled as fresh as the day I put it in smoked as fine also. :tiphat:

jaunt

Just wanted to say I made a batch of bubble with lots of guidance from this thread, much thanks to all who contributed. I think it came out really well for a test run... planning on making much more soon!

got it curing up in some glass jars now, smells so good...

:biggrin:

hPARhGW.jpg

IntlExec

Here in CO USA the local bubble hash is so strong that I place some on a CCK flower
in a very small and skinny joint. I puffed 3-4 times and within 6 minutes my blood pressure dropped to 64/47 with cold sweat and ready to faint.....I had to lay down for 2 hours before
the THC storm passed. It was really crazy I could hear birds, people, dogs barking 2 miles away.....Strong stuff bought two grams on sale for $ 61 incl local tax

Tric4Life

Keif and bubble Hash with Bubble bags

Keif and bubble Hash with Bubble bags

I have been making bubble hash for almost 10 years now but only started to grow my own when it became medically legal a few years ago. I have over half of a mason jar full of Keif and I was wondering if washing my Keif with my bubble bags will ruin them? I have done a lot of research and even trial and error tests but I just got a brand new set of bubble bags and I do not want to clean my Keif with them until I know it will work. I always thought it was just skipping a step with knocking the gland heads off the buds but I have seen other posts recently saying that it will not work and will clog bags and waste your dry sift. I know the easiest thing would be for me to get some dry sift screens which is in my near future but I'm trying to work with what I have and get the best hash possible. I have the 8 set original bubble bags and a good amount of Keif. Will it work for me by mixing the Keif with my bud to get a higher yield and better quality hash or will it waste my Keif?

Tric4Life

Usually that depends on the material. After you micro plane it and let it dry for 3-7 days sometimes it's powdery and sometimes it's oily. I just ran some Ak-47 and some black lime last week and the Ak was like dry sift and the black lime was oily and could form balls or hash snakes. But they were both full melt so I'm happy. But it all depends on your starting material and how much resin it.