What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How Much Did It Cost When You Started?

G

20 dollars for a 4 finger ounce,15 dollars for a 3 finger lid,scales werent invented yet in the 70s lol

G

SKELETOR said:
20 dollars for a 4 finger ounce,15 dollars for a 3 finger lid,scales werent invented yet in the 70s lol

Seriously, I don't think I ever used a scale in the 70s. We eyeballed every bag. Scales came into effect when weed prices equalled the price of gold bars. :fsu: :joint:

G

Yeah, I had 1 of those 'hanging postal scales' in the little plastic blue wallet. Never really used it much. If someone wanted just $5 worth of weed, that was a shotglass full. The rest of the time, like when I'd go buy my lb of Michoacan for $130, I never weighed the lb & it was always good. That's the good thing of dealing with the exact same people -- nobody fucked each other...all on the 'honor system' & in our circle of acquaintances, everyone was honorable.
Why burn your bridges? People who do a rip are so damn short-sighted. You can burn a person 1 time & then your reputation is ruined. Was it worth the 1 time rip? Only if it's 6 digits or more.

G

The 1st time I got really ripped was some Jamaican in 1969 in Chicago. My buddy's older brother introduced us to some. I can't really remember if it was really 'stringy', but good lord, did it ever pack a wallop. :yoinks:

Basically, between 1969 to 1972, we were smoking Jamaican [but that disappeared from the market rather quickly, as I recall], Michoacan, Oaxacan, occasionally Acapulco Gold, 1 or 2 times actually had Panama Red, Thai Sticks [another infrequent visitor].
It wasn't until I moved to Denver in the summer of 72, that I tried Colombian weed. Santa Marta Red, I believe, was the culprit. $40/oz :yoinks:!!!

G

I remember that Jamaican back in the early 70s. Real fat sacks for sure... an ounce totally filled the bag with green and fluffy goodnes. This was in the midwest... I think my friend was scoring it in Champaign-Urbana home of the University of Illinois. Lots of great herb and drugs (LSD, mesc... MDA, etc) came through that college town in the middle of nowhere.

This herb was perfect for joint rolling and we did it often. Every Friday we would score a couple bags for $20.00 a piece... grab a 6 pak of Heinies and would jam on the guitars to CSN&Y, Zep... Tull etc.. Friends would drift in and out all night long... there rarely was a moment when a joint wasn't being passed around... ahhhhhh... those were the days.

Also around that era, we would get some Colombian for $30 an ounce... was very dark and extremely resinous with a knockout high. Two hits and you were good... three... and you would wobble a bit and would have to find someplace comfy to wait out this narcotic like high.

There was decent mexican around also... would go for $15 a zip... some of it was just fabulous. This was not all bricked up crap... not sure what it was... goldish bronze like coloring.

Mais-

Last edited:
G

LOL Moose... damn bro I can relate so well with the hitchhiking bit. The same friend in the above rant and I took off to Colorado... we each had an ounce of that Colombian and our backpacks... some hippie picked us up outside of KC and said he was on his way to Boulder... but first... he had to go to Oberlin KS... some lil town in the middle of a wheat field about 300 miles from nowhere. We smoked him out and went along for the ride.

Ended up not making it to CO but did end up partying all weekend in KS. There were a few guitars around... so we were asked to play at this local bar. Our stage was a picnic table that we sat on... and we jammed all night... they passed the hat and we ended up with $120.00 so spent it all on beer and moved the people from the bar to the place were were staying... good times man.

Mais-

G

Memory lane city!!:D.....A friend of mine & I hit the road hitch-hiking in August of 72....cross-country 3 times & about a month down in Mexico. We didn't hitch in Mexico. We got on a train in Nogales, snaked around to Mazatlan, then Puerto Vallarta [plus every little village in-between] & got off the train in Guadalajara. Bussed it to Mexico City [like a huge NYC], then got on another bus to Taxco, then Acapulco.
Went back to the States & I stayed in Tucson for awhile [my folks were in Denver]. By the time I made it back home, I'd been gone about a year & a 1/2!! :yoinks:
I only wished I would've kept a journal. :chin: :joint:

Smurf

stoke this joint
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just remembered the first time I scored some stamped Lebanese Blonde ('78 - '79)' it was actually from a mate who had it sent over by his family in Lebanon. Big smokers there, he showed me photos of hash plants growing in a valley back in his home town that stretched for as far as the eye could see. First time I'd seen a plantation that size, amazing! Excellent smoke too!

G

:wave: Had to double check my notes. Memory ain't what it used to be.. :pointlaug

Locals turned us on to Saigon Gold and Thai stick in the summer of '65 along the Ho Chi Minh trail. :yummy:

First hash was at a victory party for the release of John Sinclair in the front parlor of his Ann Arbor home around fall of '73. His lovely wife carried a fully loaded tray around the room of dignitaries and diplomats, stopping by each guest and loading a bowl for them, lighting it and moving on to the next guest. Lebonese Blonde, shaved Morocan Dark and assorted Pakistani palm hash fingers. Then it all gets cloudy, I got stoned and I missed the rest. :woohoo:

Last edited:

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
When I started a lid was 10-15 bux and you could get half a key for around $120, all mexican from the valley at varying qualities. I was lucky enough to have an older brother in the biz so I could get better weed at better prices than all my friends.

Then came the paraquat scare and nobody wanted mexican so we started going to Miami and snagging keys of columbian red and gold for around $450 -$500. At that time street price was around $350 lb and oz's were $40 to $50. Funny thing was I could still get great mexi with no paraquat on it but nobody wanted to buy it.

I still miss the taste of columbian weed too.

Who?

I'm young, 20 to be exact. I can get seeded regs for anywhere from $50 to $75 depending on how seeded it is. I haven't boughten any of this for about a year. The good green goes for $280 to $300oz.

I don't grow yet, although I'm definately planning to. Just not sure if the risks are worth it at the moment.

I really wish I was around for the 60's and moreso the 70's. I was definately born in the wrong generation. I'm a hippy at heart. I always hear stories from my aunts and uncles and even occassionally from my parents about the 70's. They all graduated in the mid 70's and they always have a story to tell.

G

Paraquat was a plant-killing substance that was supposedly being 'sprayed' on all the Mexican weed crops to kill them. Word had it that if you smoked any Mexican weed, more than likely it had been already 'paraquated' & getting that in your lungs was super-harmful.
I always thought it was a load of shit...just more propaganda to scare weedheads into thinking that maybe this oz I just bought might have paraquat on it, so we better not chance smoking any of it. Much better to sell it at the playground during recess. :yoinks: :pointlaug :fsu: :joint:

koomba

Well I'm young (but I love all you old hippies :D ) , a pound of shitty weed is $1000 (US) and a pound of good pot is $3500 (and that's a damn good price for our area, usually ~$4.5). You guys make me sad I have to live through the WAR ON DRUGS. :nanana:

Last edited:

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
When i started puffing, mid 90's I lived in a small town it was 15cdn a gram then moved to Vancouver it was 10 a gram. ounces were 200-225.

J

JackKerouac

KALISTROYER said:
1976, Patterson, LA. $40 a ounce of South American or Mexican buds depending on what was on hand.
Peace
MOD

Sounds like Allman Brother's prices.

G

15 bux a lid for mexican dirt weed. 4 bux for a gram of hash. 5 for black tar opium. 15 for hash oil. 1 for a hit of cid. In late 70's 420-480 for a lb of good columbian gold. This stuff was #2 pencil yellow and smelled like honey.

G

Yeah, that Colombian...remember it well. In Denver we were paying $40-$45/oz, so that's about right.
I don't know if I'd call some of that Mexican back then, Michoacan, Oaxacan & the infamous Acapulco Gold [that was $20/lid] 'dirt weed'. That stuff was righteous & $15/lid in Chicago 1969/70. Then I moved to Denver in 72.

G

Yeah, the dirt weed I'm talking about was definately not any of those 3. I was in Detroit in those days. Could be on the same route as Chicago. I remember Acapulco Gold being 20-25. Good ol days eh?

G

TrichMan said:
Yeah, the dirt weed I'm talking about was definately not any of those 3. I was in Detroit in those days. Could be on the same route as Chicago. I remember Acapulco Gold being 20-25. Good ol days eh?

Yeah they were, my friend, really good times back then. :joint: :wave:

And we probably were on the same route... :chin: :confused: