What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Modern pot dosen't taste as good.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I do miss 'that smell'...sweet, acrid smell....:YaRight:

I grow White Widows now...crippling high...but, no smell?...strange.

G

grasspass

Ok, I'm back into it now for about 5 months for med reasons. Had about 6 different bags [street market]. I still think think the old Colombian gold tasted better and was also more trippy mentally. I don't miss the trippy action and I like the power and body buzz of the modern weed.

Dr. G

maby you guys just have crappy strains cuz even if i have to only smoke 2 hits im still blazin the whole j i love the taste of my weed

try some vortex or some dumpster or some sour bubble and then tell me your old people weed is better

ya i wasnt around in the 60s but i cant beleive that it was better than today

when i was a kid the 30s were much much better

is it that your comapiring your 60s schwagg to our 2000s schwagg cuz this ages schwagg is terrible

G

grasspass

Like I said I'm new back into it . I don't think you can even get shwag in southern Oregon . The new stuff is stronger than Hell. Doesn't taste as good as the Colombian gold from 1977-79. The old stuff was like incense and candy. What I have now tastes like hash with menthol rub mixed in. I asked what kind it was and they just laughed and said stinky outdoor grown pot! I believe you guys that there is some great tasting stuff out there. Hope to get some someday. Enough said from me .

skullcandy

It's like comparing apples and oranges. Iv'e no doubt were all getting good meds these days but...we were smoking landrace strains indiginous to there area, everything was outdoor grown and cured back then. I never smoked indoor weed until the mid-eighties. When you went off for the big lid search there was always alot of choice & you never new what you'd come home with. I prefer outdoor to indoor but I'm adaptable.

G

grasspass

I can't seem to buy great taste, but I was gifted some Yummy D that has a wonderful sour taste. I heard that it is Alpha diesel x Yumbolt.

C

CheifnBud2

The price of herb these days is unfathomable.

If you really plan on smoking its worth the risk growing over the effort of earning the money to pay for it.

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
Exactly. Which is better, forking out hard-earned $ for quality like this (they call this a finish? The calyxes are so small you can hardly make em out, and there are way too many hairs. Also, where are the trichs?) -

Or to grow some like this (this is only 4 weeks in) -

Damn 'mersh. Can't believe I paid 50 bux for that first bud pictured (6g), as I am in the in-between stage for providing my own supply. (the buy was a run, if I was there I'd have turned it down and walked out with my $)

Grow quality if you're gonna sell it - or go home. Smoked a whole half grammer to the dome and felt a mild buzz for maybe 40-45 mins. I bet a lower popcorn bud from my 4 week pic would blow that mersh out of the water with 4 more weeks to go still - but I'm gonna wait till it's done of course...

Woulda caught more buzz if I had of smoked the money. I'd take oldschool bud over this anyday. Well it beats an empty paper I guess, but not by much... :rasta:

Peace

B

B. Self Reliant

I don't know about all of you, but I don't trust my memory well enough to compare different kinds of bud that were smoked decades apart. Memories are made up of lots of things. Don't you think it's quite possible that the circumstances surrounding your first experiences could have something to do with your positive memories of those old strains?

I remember the bud I smoked in high school tasting amazing! After living in CA for almost a decade, I can guarantee you that the shit I got back in high school in Minnesota wasn't good bud, yet I remember it being absolutely great because it was new, exciting, still a novelty, and therefor nothing compared to it. I still remember it that way, but deep down I know that it probably wasn't the particular strain that made such great memories as much as it was the circumstances surrounding the overall experience and my own inexperience with cannabis.

I can pretty much guarantee you that if you look hard enough, you can find some sort of strain that has the flavor you remember. A good first step is acknowledging that it's hard to compare different strains when you aren't smoking them side by side. Even smoking side by side isn't always a great comparison because it's hard to tell what kind of high STRAIN B gives you when you're already stoned from STRAIN A. Get a notebook and keep track of what it looks like, smells like, how it burns, what it tastes like, record the date & who you got it from, etc. You'll start to notice patterns, and after a while you'll know what to look for. THis applies to your original taste criteria, but it will work with other traits as well.

A big reason that prices are so consistent, yet quality varies so much, is that many people don't know what they're buying. So many people complain about getting shitty bud (and rightfully so!), yet you ask them why they bought bud that was springy and still wet, and they give you a blank stare! Start noticing these different traits and then define what your ideal bud is like. That allows you to know what you're looking for in either seeds or bud. Developing your tastes is half the fun. YOu're just searching for your Holy Grail strain, and that's what most of the people on this forum are doing!

Have fun in your search!

Fast Randy

I've been smoking heavily since 1973. And I have to agree the best bud I have ever had was colombian gold in the 1977 or 78 range. It tasted great but was truelly one hit shit. I had a bud hid in a fake 8 track tape that I smoked on for years that only a few knew about. I whish I knew the THC % of that bud but it had to be in the 20% range.

I'd really lke to have some of those hard like hash Panama Red or Acapulco Gold buds today, haven't seen them since mid seventies. Some nice Red Leb hash was always tasty too havent seen that in over thirty years either. Now those were some tasty products. I had the best of the "now" strains none as tasty ast the ones I mentioned.

sorcival

I know this might raise a few flames, maybe not too, but here it is neway...
I been buyin since you could buy 'backy', 'grass', 'weed, 'smoke', 'green' and
all those other real cutie names for pot. Been smokin for well over 50 yrs now.
Got my first 'sack' for $5 bucks US in a brown paper sack back in the early 50ties.
Bought 'lids' for $10 US in the 60's, as well as matchbox fulls for $5 (nickles and dimes).
'Sacks' (oz'z) in the 70's for $15, $25, $30, $35 and was utterly dismayed
to watch the cost soar to $40 per QUARTER OZ. about '79 or '80.
Now, we pay (street) anywhere from $20 per gram to $60 per gram or more
and think we get a real deal. Bull!!!
The shit I smoked in the '50s, '60s, and '70s was ever so much better than
most of this commercial brown weed sold today(tastes like hay and horse manure)
real 'skunky' wot?
Yeah, yeah...I know...that street stuff is NOT real good grown at home
primo or anything, but it is what most peeps do toke on from mostly, unless
they do a home grow, or know somebody...ya know.
I mean, real here, I ain't no elite and I am not rich, just plain me, like most of
us.
The redbud, african, purple sense, violet, colombo gold in mine own opinion was
far superior in taste, high and quality/quantity than almost anything I have grown
or tried in todays genetics.
Anyone out there ever tried some good old bow weed? Killer high that lasted almost
all day, nasty swampy taste, but only $25 an oz in '76.
How about cuernacevacan violet? Trip/speed weed with purple hairs and lots of
dust in the sack...actually see and hear some real wierd shit, and taste like honey.
How about some 'Gunji' (african black), so bad that you ripped a paper to 1/4 and
used just enough to make a pencil line in the crease...roll it and if you could take more
than one hit...well, I never met anyone who could. Trip weed all the way. Solid
black color with red veins runnin through it, tight lil nugs, crunchy...cost was way
high tho...almost $50 for an oz. in '74.
Maybe you got some 'gorrila' crunchie green...make you cough like hell on the first
toke and keep you high from that first hit for hours...$30 in '78.
There are some good strains out today, but back in the day(god I hate those words),
we didnt talk strains or genetics just types of smoke and kinds of high.
I have had many excellent grows from some good Nirvana Ice, Bubblegum as well
as some BOG's lifesaver, you know grow it find your fav pheno and clone like its
1999....peace bros.

magiccannabus

Next Stop: Outer Space!
Veteran
Back then more people probably grew organic. I can pick my organic bud straight off the plant, chop it up fine so it dries quick, and put it straight into a blunt with no bad tastes every time.

sorcival

yup, mostly straight outdoorsy, sometimes fertilized by themselves, or cows or
something. I guess most of the older pot was mostly sativa also, as if that really
should make much diff....but truly organic is much finer I think.

Bumble Buddy

Got my first 'sack' for $5 bucks US in a brown paper sack back in the early 50ties.

Neato, wow I bet it'd be interesting to go back in time and do an in depth analysis and smoke report on some random herb offerings from those days. Love hearing the stories from the old timers, the community has a lot to learn from you guys, keep it comin'. :yes:

ToughGirl

My memory is pretty good, and when I think back to the late 70's and early 80's, there was good and bad tasting weed. Personally I'm very impressed with the choices today compared to then. However, I'm not a big fan of the taste of hydroponically grown weed when compared to soil grown. It's probably because I started smoking before hydro was available like it is now. I am sure there are hydroponic people here that grow awesome weed, it's just a personal preference. To me there is nothing like the taste a soil grown bud of a good Hawaiian sativa. It really just takes me back in time... except now you have to do it secretly and not talk about it and spray airwick all over! Times have certainly changed since smoking it in the parking lot of an amusement park! Back then people just wanted to hit it, now you'll go to jail for endangering the morals of minors and whatever else they can make up. If anyone invents a time machine, let me know:)

geopolitical

Vladimir Demikhov Fanboy
Veteran
Am I the only one that's been growing the same strain from clones for damn . .18 years now and was going from my own seeds every year before that. Amazingly enough pot tastes the same to me these days as it used to.

J

JackTheGrower

Interesting..

Interesting..

I have some seeds that produces some old skool smelling smoke.

The problem is it's a hermi..

I bought the seeds for it ( yes bought known hermi seeds ) in 1999..

I will be trying to germinate the S1's soon.. They were very predictable time wise.
I crossed that with feminized plants and had hundreds of female seeds that didn't hermi.
The Sativa cross on the other hand didn't maintain.

I don't know about tossing the bath tub out to spite the water with these genetics..

One of the S1's didn't hermi and turned gold without me doing anything special.
But just one..

Unique smoke quality..

I am assuming the hermaphrodite trait can be bred out??

Any input?