What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Modern pot dosen't taste as good.

MrMcBean

here in my part of Europe our pot has dropped in price the last 2-3 years. Mainly because the Hash we are getting is now being cut 2x as much as before.

We get hash bricks that contain pieces of platic foil from the real hashbricks that were ground up and cut without taking off all their foil..

Very dirty and sleezy.. I had to return my last purchase of hash to the guy telling him it was about the lowest quality I have seen in years.. :yoinks: He respects my opinion and took it back.. great guy :)

The weed around here looks like it has been shaken 3-4 times.. all you get is a non-sticky dry piece of bud that you can crush with your fingers without getting them sticky. I dont sell my grown weed because its not compareable to street weed including its price-worth :D

I believe the quality here in Europe has deteriorated over the last 5 years or so. I still get hash from other european countries and it seems to get better each time I smoke it, or is our stuff just getting worse?.. hmm

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Mmmmm, those 70's thai sticks ;) bundles of the little 1.5-2g ones.
I miss all the big buddha sticks, loose chocolate thai & gold afghani from the early 80's too. (W coast US) Once in a blue moon we'd get some columbian gold, small gold hard as a rock buds with a spicy/peppery taste, would KO ya!
Oh, & the old 80's roadkill skunk of course.

Those are the ones I still yearn for & IMHO would hold their own against todays best strains & hybrids. Each was so unique & tasty, just like todays stuff.
I think I found a oldschool thai recently.
A short squatty pheno from a pk of KCbrains TNR, it has a choco thai/tangerine thing goin on. The "thai" part is spot on! :woohoo:

Reefdoggie

For me, NOTHING seems to taste as good as it did when I was young(er). Prolly cuz I have polluted my system with so much crap (especially tobacky) that even food/drink aren't as good as I remember.

However, the best taste I ever experienced was some Mauai Wowie grown outdoors in my buddy's backyard in Denver. The shiz thrived in that red clay soil, and the cool nights promoted some seriously sticky buds.

Piel

Veteran
I was in Zimbabwe a while back and the stuff I smoked there (landrace -sativa?) had the old "Bay Area" taste of the 70´s...sorry to say it was seedfree weed...

Proteus

to get that smell back, dry your bud over a very long time in a somewhat moist room, let it turn brown, roll it in newspapers, leavs and all, and let it cure for a fewm onths... going furhter brown/gold and the chlorophyl drops out and the bud somewhat ferments.

that will getcha back to those days.

Fobbon

Damn - when I started a 1oz bag was 10 bucks and I think I acually got high when I smoked it, It also probly grew wild along the road. When Columbian came along the taste was divine, like an answered prayer-Lol. The new stink strains are good but much of the stuff for consumption is rushed and taste is secondary to $$$ thats why I have taken up the best hobbie out there. yes I am an old fart

G

grasspass

Bringing up an old thread I started awhile back

Bringing up an old thread I started awhile back

Ok , when I started this thread , I bought black market weed.[no dispensaries here]. I now have a med card and grow my own. Lets put it this way , I found a bag of weed in my yard after a party, [about a 1/4 ounce ] tried some of it and then threw it away. Grow your own and you will become a pot snob! Using what I have learned from people on this sight about growing and curing has made it so that what I grow is much better than what I can buy. I have only done 3 grows and my home grown tastes way better and is more potent than commercial. [It doesn't taste like Colombian gold , but it does taste good!] Thank you people and ICMAG.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have smoked a boat load of golds, and I know the taste you mention.
I just grew some MNS Shit earlier this summer and it definitely brings about that old school flavor of a CG. Not real strong, but it is in the linger of a hit. I grew two of them and both give out this reminiscent flavor.
Since Shit is SK1, and SK1 is Acapulcogold/afghan x ColGold :dunno:

I gave a 1/4 sack to the old lady for a hen party. They raved about how it tasted like old school rope.

i think that part of the problem is that as you get older your taste buds and your ability to smell subtle odors lessens. i can still remember the smell of thai and hawaiian from the
70s. althought i haven't smelled anything quite as nice since (my swiss bliss comes close) i'm thinking that part of that is just the great memories of smoking the best from the good old party days. i have some pics of thai sticks (i was in thailand) but can't post pics here anymore for some reason.

the best in smell, hands down, were the hawaiians. my favorites were the mutli colored buds. purple, red, green all in one beautiful cola. and the taste, man the taste...

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Way more variety around today then there was 25 years ago.. just keep looking until you find a strain you like.

TerryT

I think fatboy makes a good point about taste and smell diminishing as you age. I grew up in the 70s and remember all those strains and the distinctive tastes but I don't think they can compare to today's organically grown properly cured strains. A friend of mine grew this primarily sativa hybrid outdoors this year that tasted as good as anything I can I ever remember, but then again the memory isn't what it used to be.

I guess it depends on what your able to get. I've smoked some tasty pot both in the seventies and every decade since. I do miss some of the old strains though.