What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Modern pot dosen't taste as good.

G

grasspass

I'm back to herb after over 25 years and my view is that the Colombian gold I used to get tasted better and smelled better burning than this modern skunky smelling stuff I am now getting. Weed seems about 2 to 3 times stronger now compared to the old days , but the taste reminds me of some hempy wild low grade I used to pick for free , years ago. Anyone agree? I'm just getting back into it , so this opinion could be way off base.

bterzz

Veteran
Where im at, it tastes amazing. but then again, I wasnt smokin it 25 years ago..shit im not even 25.

1st post for both of us :)

lordbudly

Veteran
Hey, you should check out somethings like cheese, cheese is known for its old school taste and smell, not with "the most" raw potency of some strains, its still really good potency, and has a high quality high

lordbudly

Veteran
to second that up, the main reason that the bud you try, tastes like wild hempy stuff, is because its some decent potency , high yielding strain, that got pumped full of nutes, never flushed, never cured,got handled rough, perhaps even sprayed with sugar water or something, if you were to grow your own bud, which even a decent potency high yielder would be way better potency then what you would buy, then grew it organic, flushed it, cured it, it will be way more potent then commercial bud, try it with a quality strain, and you'll be amazed at how much more potent and better tasting and smelling your bud is, may i suggest nirvana(for cheap prices and a nice selection) if you want to start growing?You could look through their catalog, or maybe explain what your looking for, couchlock, cerebral happy laughy high, more in the trippy stage, of visual and audio enhancing etc etc, and what your looking for palate wise, what you want to taste, and i could try and find it for ya, and if you want a way wider selection, maybe even a budget of what you'd be willing to spend (expand your horizons from just a couple breeders)

Last edited:

sin-seed

I don't know about that. I'd stack up this Sour Diesel, and this Blueberry against that Panama Red and Colombian Gold any day!!

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
That's like comparing an F350 with a GT350. They're both Fords, they're both great but, there the comparison ends.

OldBastard

No, but I know what you mean. The red bud had a different taste.
Less of a "green" taste to it. But it was commercially cured,
and that's the taste you were used to, as I was back then.
Good grown senci has a litle more green taste but to me that's a good thing.
You've got so much to pick from now.
Oh, and I'm 51.

theLION

people can say what they want but the stuff grown in sacred land in a time brfore man bred the hell oout of it , it was grown in the best of places ,ever been to thailand its always nice there and i have seen people groe orchids with no soil just a pot with holes its almost magic . but i think the overall taste is better .

theLION

Taste

Taste

what other plant can smell like dog poo and cherry's
orange and nutmeg ?
lemon and cheese ?
i believe we create the smell and plant in our mind's as we
nurture it our energy makes it more what we want it to be . thats why you can give 2 same clones and get 2 diff plants hmmm .its all about energy .
but now a daze people are more into the fruit so we have bred for fruit now the old time hashy smell and taste is flower is more brown and people seem to like light colored
like cheese an old strain but light in color non the less

G

Gobwats

I think it was more a matter of availability grasspass. The way I recall the late 60's/early 70's, we basically had 2 choices: the good stuff (Colombian, Jamaican, etc.) which could generally be had rather cheaply back then, and then we had dirt weed that could be bought for under $100/lb. The dirt weed back then was so nasty (remember Paraquat?) that it made even the worst of the better stuff taste like nectar sent from the gods. I've smoked steadily over the years, and while you can still find dirt weed (although it is now priced the same as the good shit, greedy ass bastards) abundantly, for the most part I find taste and aroma has been greatly improved upon in some strains (this coming from someone who has smoked enough years that my sense of taste and smell just aint what is used to be.)

G

grasspass

What I have been getting is very,very potent, its just green smelling now .. I remember Colombian smelling like incense . Well, for me its been over 25 probably more like 28 years since I have been into it . I'm in Oregon and might get a med card . After getting a card maybe grow something good tasting.

Uncle Remus

I agree with lordbudly (except the organic crap)...You probably been buying some commercial shit that someone chopped, dried fast, probably not cured properly if at all...Most commercial growers don't give a shit about taste or quality...Only thing they are after is your $300-400 for their garbage schwag

I remember smoking some Colombian Gold way back in the early 80's...I was 13-14 at the time, but I can still remember it like it was yesterday...Also remember the "Hawaiian" bud that used to come 1oz in a sealed can (like soup) for a meager price of $75...Excellent smoke that would easily go for at least $400 an oz around here nowadays

My how the times have changed...An oz of good weed has tripled if not quadrupled in the last 10-15 years because of greed...One of the main reasons why I started growing in the first place was because I was tired of giving away my hard earned cash for schwag...And the fukin pricks were and still are charging top $$$ for their junk, and not even willing to haggle a bit over price...My favorite trick was when they would "smoke some good shit then sell me schwag and claim its the same smoke"...FUCK OFF

My favorite thing is when one of these jagoffs smoke some of MY shit...I love to watch their faces when they see it/smell it for the first time...WOW DUDE, WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT is usually they're first response...Then we smoke some...I know it kicks their ass in 2 hits with a sweet taste of Sweethearts/pineapple/candy/hash...That's the moment when the fun kicks in...Most usually ask if their is any for sale and how much, and my reply is always "get fucked"...AW COME ON MAN, HOOK ME UP...Why should I???You never hooked me up M.F.'er, and you never gave me any breaks on prices either so FUCK YOU...HEHE Love that part

My advice is to get some good quality beans and start learning HERE the right way to grow your own...Not only is the product gonna be superior, but there us nothing like the satisfaction of smoking your own first harvest...Its THEN that you realize its what you should have been doing all along

And that also when the "growing addiction" sets in as well :woohoo:

Last edited:
G

Gobwats

What I have been getting is very,very potent, its just green smelling now .. I remember Colombian smelling like incense . Well, for me its been over 25 probably more like 28 years since I have been into it . I'm in Oregon and might get a med card . After getting a card maybe grow something good tasting.

I've noticed that a lot of the commercial is not cured the way it was way back when. Today growers get greedy so we see a lot of green shit. I usually empty my baggies into a Mason Jar that sits in a dark drawer to let it cure a bit and find the taste improves dramatically over a bit of time. I've got some shit right now that the buds are almost black that you can tell was harvested about 2 weeks early. The first few days it just harsh sticky shit, but now that it has cured a bit it has developed more of a berry taste to it and is much more enjoyable. Sometimes you just have to pick up the ball where the grower dropped it. Next crop of the good stuff should be ready in about a month or so, then the garden is going to get expanded a bit to keep me from having to buy in between harvests. Got 9 strains from a seed breeder friend that I cannot wait to give a try.

DonChron

Welcome to the boards first off..I believe that is just an opinion though.
the hybridization of cannabis over the last half 40 years has resulted in modern herb to contain more THC,which results in higher levels of cannabanoids.
In turn producing more terpenoids that contribute to flavor!!
The weed of today has a more pungent scent,is substantially more potent,and tastes better than any true,original IBL.

"Terpenoids contribute to the scent of eucalyptus, the flavors of cinnamon, cloves, and ginger, and the color of yellow flowers. Well-known terpenoids include citral, menthol, camphor, Salvinorin A in the plant Salvia divinorum, and the cannabinoids found in Cannabis."

Last edited:

forehead

I've noticed that a lot of the commercial is not cured the way it was way back when. Today growers get greedy so we see a lot of green shit. I usually empty my baggies into a Mason Jar that sits in a dark drawer to let it cure a bit and find the taste improves dramatically over a bit of time. I've got some shit right now that the buds are almost black that you can tell was harvested about 2 weeks early. The first few days it just harsh sticky shit, but now that it has cured a bit it has developed more of a berry taste to it and is much more enjoyable. Sometimes you just have to pick up the ball where the grower dropped it. Next crop of the good stuff should be ready in about a month or so, then the garden is going to get expanded a bit to keep me from having to buy in between harvests. Got 9 strains from a seed breeder friend that I cannot wait to give a try.
I agree brother the cure is a major factor and organics done well give a supererior flavor beyond compare IMO..it matters much what genetics you start with.so many strains are good but not great ,and these are usually the best yeilding and easiest to grow. so most folx who buy weed are gonna get medicore bud that is potent but of poor connesuer quality. .usually indica dom. but special weed such as the Inscence type weed mentioned are usually sativas such as SEasian,african and cental american strains.

P

Purple_trees

thats funny this thread was started.. Cuz my pops always talks about his strains back in the day.. And how they sprayed paraquat on the mexican brown weed. But then he said they had the good panama something or other.. But ive shown him a few things that are properly flushed and cured of mine.. He agrees bud has gotten much more potent and tasty, but he will never forget the smell and taste of that old school

theLION

more

more

i forgot about the spraying in the 60's and well as we speak i am sure . but its funny how we go to flavors like blueberry then ,mango , the skunk in ansterdam is sweet and in the u.s skunky .hey grasspass get your card and try some Viet xVietblack talk about old school .and yes i also have to say that you can taste the pumped up nutes and you can taste bat crap as well . anyone ever used cottonseed meal ?so both can be to much only on the west coast would one have a problem with to much Organic taste lol .. so unless it comes from you .and then taste when you VAPE .. is a whole new deal undertonees of fruits not tasted by smoking i remember some GWS it was ok everyone else liked it but i just thought it was ok
6 months in a jar Volcano and whamm it was like
like god was rubbing my tummy ...anyhow pinnaple
very pinepple and i just thought it was so good .
but when smoked only so so . ANYONE HAVE ANY AMNESIA .H taste test to share . i am afraid to go to the soma forum allot of fans and allot of unopening seeds so i dont know but anyone had DAM AH BEFORE or there own i guess

Last edited:

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
Having never tasted any of the older herb I can't comment about how it used to be.

However if you've tasted some of the personally cared for herb that people have shared with me, I don't think you'd be disappointed. There is a huge palette of flavors and smells today. More so out in California than anywhere else I've been. I haven't been back to amsterdam because since I don't know anyone over there all I can get is commercially grown product, and if there was something special floating around, I wouldn't have anyone to tell me where to find it.

Some old heads have recommended that Amnesia Haze to me as well. Sounds promising.

As for heads being greedy and herb being expensive. It's just not the case. I forget where I saw the break down, but the price has remained almost the same. Especially when you consider a few things. No seeds or random leaf matter which has always been substantial , and inflation. You can still buy some mexi brick weed for about the same price(adjusted for inflation). Or you can grow your own. Also percentage wise the herb is much stronger and since that's what most of us are buying you're coming way up. You've gone from 3-8% thc to over 20% thc. So you're getting way more value.

I've heard about that Vietblack Lion. Which club did you get it at(if i'm allowed to ask?)?