What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what were bongs like way back when?

I

icon

picture.php

i use to have something very similur to this got it for like $15 at vinice beach in the 90's
picture.php

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back in the day, bamboo was the way to go to make bongs, but you had to soak it in linseed oil first. If you let the water sit in that thing, it would start to split after a while.

^^ On Bamboo bongs / water pipes, they took some time to settle in. Just like an old tobacco pipe, you had to treat em right....well worth it though, very smooth smoke.
In those days, where I was from, you got the bong out... used it, cleaned it out, and put it away....

Never really got into the glass stuff.

I wish I had a pic of one I had from the late 70's, all bamboo and coconut, after a couple of hits, I'd sit out in the sun,(with welders googles on) and with a 3 inch magnifying glass, I'd burn in the pattern that a buddy had drawn on the surface in pencil.....it became a much loved, and used Pipe for a whole group of us for several years.

S

SeaMaiden

I honestly don't remember bongs like what many of you people are describing from when I was young. How far back are you going in the way-back machine? I'm going to the 70s. Help me out, throw me a bone! Wait... nix that, throw me a joint.

masamaaso

Veteran
In the late 80's in my area, the bong of choice was the Tokemaster.

I just googled the fuck out of it, but only found one site that has a pic.

http://www.fireflyexoticwear.com/Tobacco-Master-Water-Pipe-Tobacco-Master-Water-Pipe.htm

It's basically a straight, clear, thick acrylic tube, with an acrylic stem, brass fittings, and a brass bowl with shotgun. I had a 12", but the 18" was the perfect size IMO, as you could get a freaking ginormous hit off of that mofo.

Glass was NOT popular with us back then. Pretty much EVERY glass bong any of us ever had would be BROKEN eventually due to...."party incidents".

The Tokemaster hit much better than the cheapo thin plastic bongs, and the Tokemaster was TOUGH. You could beat somebody to death with that damn thing, and we broke like maybe ONE stem.

Some time in the 80's, the company changed their name from Tokemaster to "Tobaccomaster", probably due to some legal bullshit. Still, a good bong I really enjoyed hitting.

A lot of good times with those bongs.[/quot

Same here,,the TM was the bong of choice and still is,,,nothing hits like a TokeMaster ,,bought one in 1976 for $17.50 the same cost for a bag Lumbo Gold,,,had it until I moved here a few years ago and gave it to a friend to keep safe if one day I return for it,,,he has his own TM....
Today its called a SmokeMaster and the only place I know to get one is a head shop just inside the west virginia line on the way to the horse track called Charlie Browns and it cost $75.00

Green Supreme

Veteran
This is an original Earth Works Wizard bong. One of the oldest commercial bongs I have seen. These were sold in Hightimes. Peace GS

Attachments

• earthworks bong 002 (Large).jpg
    earthworks bong 002 (Large).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 45
  • earthworks bong 003 (Large).jpg
    earthworks bong 003 (Large).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 38
  • earthworks bong 004 (Large).jpg
    earthworks bong 004 (Large).jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 40

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
homemade but old.......... circa 1981

homemade but old.......... circa 1981

was originally a juice container that came with a crazy straw that we sold at six flags. fit perfectly under my the seat in my car, d It did have a design flaw tho, had to be sure you got your hair out of the way first.

I'm with seamaiden, I miss the ceramic bongs with a place underneath the bowl to store your weed. Always got spilled tho..

when I was a lad , back in 00's , we had these bongs called "roors." and if you had a molino ashcatcher to boot , then you were "the shizzle". lol

G

Guest 279031

In the late 80's in my area, the bong of choice was the Tokemaster.

I just googled the fuck out of it, but only found one site that has a pic.

http://www.fireflyexoticwear.com/Tobacco-Master-Water-Pipe-Tobacco-Master-Water-Pipe.htm

It's basically a straight, clear, thick acrylic tube, with an acrylic stem, brass fittings, and a brass bowl with shotgun. I had a 12", but the 18" was the perfect size IMO, as you could get a freaking ginormous hit off of that mofo.

Glass was NOT popular with us back then. Pretty much EVERY glass bong any of us ever had would be BROKEN eventually due to...."party incidents".

The Tokemaster hit much better than the cheapo thin plastic bongs, and the Tokemaster was TOUGH. You could beat somebody to death with that damn thing, and we broke like maybe ONE stem.

Some time in the 80's, the company changed their name from Tokemaster to "Tobaccomaster", probably due to some legal bullshit. Still, a good bong I really enjoyed hitting.

A lot of good times with those bongs.

The TM was as much an icon as the triple beam back in the day, at least around here. I preferred the Smokemaster because it was glass. The Apogee was another well-known bong back in the 80's but was never my choice. I prefer straightforward and simplistic.

abellguy

^ ^ I guess that's GG Grandma gravity action! Nice pic :rasta:

Does anybody remember the Aqua bong? It was short plastic two pieces, with a mouth piece that flipped up for smoking and when mouth piece was down it was water tight, unless it was real hot inside the car you were stashing it in :D this was circa early 80's. Again couldn't find pics, I guess pictures should have been taken of these old bongs. I loved that thing it was so convenient for the car, but when Jerome Baker came out with the glass I never looked back. I don't even remember when that was probably early 90's on the JB :rasta:

more searching yielded a pic I guess it's called the Aqua Pipe now, I had a white one.

aqua bong.jpg

abellguy

Here is a pic of the old G Graphics without the slider w/ wire pull rings (no on closer inspection this is just a cheap knock-off the real or original had a straight metal down tube that was epoxied in with this very strong black plastic like glue stuff, and just a straight tube no extrusion where the down tube goes in)

G graphics bong.jpg

Here is a pic of one of the posters you would see in the head shops, I always remember the baseball themed ones with the "one bong, three hits, and you're out". In my area I never saw one like this but it is really cool :rasta:

cowabonga.jpg

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Made a bong out of ABS pipe silicon caulk the bottom clear plastic hose with a 38 spec, shell for a bowl, worked quite well actually.