What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spinosad and bleach question

Raw710

Does bleach neutralize spinosad? Sorry if it’s to simple of a question I’m not a 100% sure if it’s alive?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
you can really knock them back by letting your coco get really dry, so dry that it's really light to lift, as dry as possible before the plants actually start to droop. they don't like dry medium at all in my experience, if thats not feasible, you could try solbac in water, some folks even use mosquito dunk stuff and then water the pots with the larva

Raw710

you can really knock them back by letting your coco get really dry, so dry that it's really light to lift, as dry as possible before the plants actually start to droop. they don't like dry medium at all in my experience, if thats not feasible, you could try solbac in water, some folks even use mosquito dunk stuff and then water the pots with the larva

Even though the medium is dry will the eggs still stay alive? You are right by drying medium out Kills larvae

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
to be honest i'm not sure, in my experience with mother plants it kills them right off. i let my mums get dry every month or 2 to not even give them a chance. but if it's killing the eggs or not i can't tell for 100% sure so don't want to say either way, but it does really help to contain the problem. i noticed it's harder to let the coco slabs get dry enough to have the same effect without bothering the flowering plants. but with pots of coco it works really well.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Spinosad is a mixture of two compounds extracted from a bacteria. It is not a live culture.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
you will still kill lots of beneficial bacteria in the coco if you use bleach. you really shouldn't get root rot in coco, if you are, something is wrong. anyway if you do use bleach you might want to re inoculate the coco with trichoderma or some such after the bleach treatment.

Raw710

you will still kill lots of beneficial bacteria in the coco if you use bleach. you really shouldn't get root rot in coco, if you are, something is wrong. anyway if you do use bleach you might want to re inoculate the coco with trichoderma or some such after the bleach treatment.

Oh ok I will try that I think I’m getting root rot because of the larvae making my plants suceptiable to diseases :(

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran

Spinosad is an insecticide based on chemical compounds found in the bacterial species Saccharopolyspora spinosa. The genus Saccharopolyspora was discovered in 1985 in isolates from crushed sugarcane which produce yellowish-pink aerial hyphae, with bead-like chains of spores enclosed in a characteristic hairy sheath.[1] This genus is defined as aerobic, Gram-positive, nonacid-fast actinomycetes with fragmenting substrate mycelium. S. spinosa was isolated from soil collected inside a nonoperational sugar mill rum still in the Virgin Islands. Spinosad is a mixture of chemical compounds in the spinosyn family that has a generalized structure consisting of a unique tetracyclic ring system attached to an amino sugar (D-forosamine) and a neutral sugar (tri-Ο-methyl-L-rhamnose).[2] Spinosad is relatively nonpolar and not easily dissolved in water.[3]

Spinosad is a novel mode-of-action insecticide derived from a family of natural products obtained by fermentation of S. spinosa. Spinosyns occur in over 20 natural forms, and over 200 synthetic forms (spinosoids) have been produced in the lab.[4] Spinosad contains a mix of two spinosoids, spinosyn A, the major component, and spinosyn D (the minor component), in a roughly 17:3 ratio.[1]

thanks for the link, should have read this before i ever used it. so it's actually fermented from the different Spinosyns