What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mysterious condition dubbed 'scromiting' hits weed smokers across the US !

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
causes them to vomit AND scream 'Scromiting' is becoming an all-too-familiar site at emergency rooms hospitals.

Lol, They actually want us to believe They scream "scromiting!!!!!!"

Again......hilarious imo. I have seen tons of tourist black out in dam coffeeshops but never heared anyone screaming anything, let alone "SCROOOOOOMMMMMIIIIIITTTTTIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGG"

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
And let's add another variable to the equation: half-life.

Some cides have a half-life that is measured in hours/days (pyrethrin) and some are measured in days/years (imidacloprid). Imagine the residual buildup on plants that are sprayed not with just once cide, but with multiple cides....excessively.

IMO, more growers should investigate "time". The time it takes for nutrients/fertilityto become "plant available". The time it takes for cides to breakdown to become "non detectable" in the plant's tissue...which means the proper length of time will always be greater than it's "half-life".

Oh well, what webs we weave...

CaptainDankness

More reefer madness propaganda they can't say it's not a medicine anymore but they can insist it should be a controlled drug that needs to be prescribed by a doctor and studied in the patients.

I got my money on GW's partner Bayer putting millions into this propaganda because Sativex alone is worth billions just not if marijuana is legal. You can buy something in a dispensary that's just as good as Sativex for about $20 meanwhile the Sativex will cost you closer to $200 and you can grow a 1:1 plant for free maybe spend a few bucks to extract the cannabinoids or just eat the raw plant.

Big pharma has invested millions of dollars on patents last thing they want us to do is grow our own organically for free. They are getting $200 for a 10ml bottle of Sativex. We will get medical marijuana alright but it is going to be a load of bullshit if big pharma gets their way.

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
This is a repost i made in another thread about the subject.
-----
Hi all, I'm from a dutch speaking EU-country. (Guess which one and then again because you'll be wrong, lol)

In the +20 years of using and being in the 'scene' the first time I ever heard of CHS is on this board when I joined a few months ago. I have never heard a thing about it before nor is there much talk about it on dutch forums. Nor do I know anybody who suffers from this illness. This makes me wonder about a few things.

Reading through all the threads and google-ing about it I believe this syndrome is certainly real.
There is certainly evidence that the syndrome is real. Some people use cannabis and get sick ergo cannabis is to blame (several reported cases exist).

But the question is what causes the syndrome? Is it the plant itself or is the use of certain chemicals during growing/production or is it because of abuse or psychological issues or way off life or nutrition or...
Many questions still remain. But the thing I find interesting is that this syndrome is more of a USA/Western illness. Not a EU (50-60 years of regulated use in Holland) or African, Middle-Eastern or Asian (Many 1000's years of use) and almost no cases of CHS.

Is it due to potency? I don't think so, in the old world people are making high THC rich concentrates for centuries (Hash...).
Is it due to amounts? I don't know. Look at those Sadhu's in India and certain groups into the Middle-East and Africa. Those groups are using Cannabis in a non-stop way of life for centuries.
Is it due to chemical pesticides/fertilizer? Then we should get sick from eating our other vegetables to. These are grown using the same (organic) fertilizer/pesticides.
Is it that organic Neem, Aza pesticide? Could be, it's not because it's organic it's not dangerous. Lots of toxic plants, the majority of plants on earth are toxic actually. Many plants can even easily kill a man. Ie. Datura, Bella Donna, Opium poppy's,... to name a few.

Maybe we shouldn't forget about the Western way off life: no moderation, poor nutrition (fast food, etc...), no exercise, massive amounts of sugar intake, stress, poor sleep and a lot of mental and physical illnesses.

But almost all the CHS cases have something in common: years of cannabis abuse and a poor way of life. Makes me think it's maybe a combination of psychological issues in combination with poor physical condition (the Western Disease) and abusing cannabis to 'feel' better.

Rondon

What exactly is 'bow shit' Rondon?

The pukey sickness some Doctors arw attributing to chronic cannabis use. Ive looked into it. As much as I cared to. And Iam pretty damn sure its from people partaking in cannabis tainted with heavy pesticides and/or fungicides. Just happens to coincide with the popularity of domestic grown cannabis. Ive never heard of anything like this and that includes the imported paraquat 70's and 80's marijuana.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Is it due to chemical pesticides/fertilizer? Then we should get sick from eating our other vegetables to. These are grown using the same (organic) fertilizer/pesticides.
Cannabis is NOT a fruit or veggie and you cannot compare the use of aza on the two. Fruits and vegetables do not absorb azadirachtin the way cannabis does. The neem and aza used on fruits and vegetables breaks down rather quickly. This is not true in the cannabis plant.

But almost all the CHS cases have something in common: years of cannabis abuse and a poor way of life. Makes me think it's maybe a combination of psychological issues in combination with poor physical condition (the Western Disease) and abusing cannabis to 'feel' better.
Not with what I, and others, have come to understand. It's azadirachtin exposure (through neem oil, meal, extract). Combined with an existing(?) issue with the H.Pylori bacteria, the results are devastating with only small ingestion. Removal of the H.Pylori issue drastically reduces (yet does not eliminate) the symptoms.

I'm quite sure the worst cases are those who have zero issues with H.Pylori, which allows them to use massive amounts of tainted cannabis. Until it builds up to the point of cyclical and massive vomiting.

Hand someone with CHS some cannabis completely clean of aza and they'll experience great relief in using it. Test it yourself. :tiphat:

M

moose eater

There are veggies that are 'accumulators.'

That said, I and a family member have eaten stout potent edibles wherein my family member acknowledged the dosage was too much, and was physically ill from it. While I had a similar assessment of potency, I did not become ill from that same/similar dose.

Individual tolerances matter.. And I've had more or less an iron stomach for many years, though that's waning as age continues onward.

Admittedly, the plants used to make that butter may have been treated with Azamax. I say 'may have been,' as the butter came from a friend who'd had issues with some aggressive insects, and I'd sent him some Azamax or Azatrol. I believe it was the Azamax I had sent to him.

Cvh, knowing a bit about which countries are Dutch-speaking, I'd wager Belgium; often not thought of as a Dutch-speaking or Dutch-settled area, but half of it is. We know people from there. (*Either that, or the Antilles).

Initially, when first reading this article and posts, I chuckled, and thought, "Do they scream 'This weed sucks!!!!'" when vomiting?

Next, I flipped back through Mr. Wizard's 'Way Back' machine, and remembered Dick Nixon and the Paraquat period, wherein Dick unrealistically believed that spraying Mexican weed prolifically with toxins would get folks to quit smoking the stuff. Nope, they instead frequently smoked tainted weed.

I remember a young woman back then, probably in Life Magazine or something, standing in front of the White House during a protest, holding a sign that read in Dr. Seuss fashion,

"I smoke pot, I like it a lot. Stop spraying it with Paraquat."

She probably got extra credit for a 200-level under-grad Creative Writing English class.... :biggrin:

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Wonder if dabbing pesticides and fungicides is the actual problem? I wont even smoke weed I cannot trace back to the grower anymore.

Mick

Veteran
Maybe these people are suffering from old fashioned anxiety attacks. They can cause all sorts of chaos in the body and mind and everyone here probably knows someone who’s had an attack on strong weed. It's not common but not unusual either. OD'ing on edibles can do some weird shit to people. Vomiting is a common reaction to an anxiety attack and 5 minutes on google found examples of people screaming while having one.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I assure you, it's not anxiety attacks. OD'ing from edibles can cause vomiting, which is not CHS. You'll know when you have CHS, just remember to slip into a hot bath/shower to ease the pain.

therevverend

Veteran
First time I've heard of this, been smoking and around smokers for a long time. I've had/seen people get the spins and vomit from smoking especially when drinking but I've never seen screamers. When I was in college my friends' stoner house was across the street from an autistic kid. He'd scream for hours. We'd get stoned, go out on the porch drinking beer and the smokers smoking. Listening to the poor kid scream. Those were good times.
My first thought is B.S. but there are reputable sources. My second thought is what other drugs are these people using?
The pesticide connection is possible but dubious. We ingest many pesticides from the stuff we eat. Most people don't get cannabis from the same source continually. One week you get an eighth of Avid, then an eighth of neem, then an eighth of pyrethrin. A lot of these pesticides are complex molecules that break down quickly. They are toxic but only for a few weeks or months.
Fertilizers can contain heavy metals, sludge, stuff that can build up in your body. Even organic ones. I guess that they can build up in people's bodies but would they cause scromiting? Ha ha scromiting.
Could it be a mass hysteria, hypnosis, Jumping Frenchmen type thing? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_Frenchmen_of_Maine
Your friend scromits, you associate smoking with scromiting, pretty soon you're scromiting too?
The suspicion of neem oil in this case brings up a good point. Just because something is organic or not mainstream doesn't necessarily mean it's safe. A lot of this stuff hasn't been tested or used in the way people are using it now. Not saying we need to ditch the neem but use it moderately and try to wash the stuff off well before harvesting. I try to never spray my plants once they go into flower.
The most likely scenario, it's a small sample, maybe a couple hundred over several years out of thousands and millions. In a few years we'll have forgotten about it.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
First time I've heard of this, been smoking and around smokers for a long time. I've had/seen people get the spins and vomit from smoking especially when drinking but I've never seen screamers. When I was in college my friends' stoner house was across the street from an autistic kid. He'd scream for hours. We'd get stoned, go out on the porch drinking beer and the smokers smoking. Listening to the poor kid scream. Those were good times.
My first thought is B.S. but there are reputable sources. My second thought is what other drugs are these people using?
The pesticide connection is possible but dubious. We ingest many pesticides from the stuff we eat. Most people don't get cannabis from the same source continually. One week you get an eighth of Avid, then an eighth of neem, then an eighth of pyrethrin. A lot of these pesticides are complex molecules that break down quickly. They are toxic but only for a few weeks or months.
Fertilizers can contain heavy metals, sludge, stuff that can build up in your body. Even organic ones. I guess that they can build up in people's bodies but would they cause scromiting? Ha ha scromiting.
Could it be a mass hysteria, hypnosis, Jumping Frenchmen type thing? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_Frenchmen_of_Maine
Your friend scromits, you associate smoking with scromiting, pretty soon you're scromiting too?
The suspicion of neem oil in this case brings up a good point. Just because something is organic or not mainstream doesn't necessarily mean it's safe. A lot of this stuff hasn't been tested or used in the way people are using it now. Not saying we need to ditch the neem but use it moderately and try to wash the stuff off well before harvesting. I try to never spray my plants once they go into flower.
The most likely scenario, it's a small sample, maybe a couple hundred over several years out of thousands and millions. In a few years we'll have forgotten about it.

That is why I mentioned dabbing. I know for a fact myclobutinol shows up in concentrated amounts in extracts. That is the active ingredient in eagle 20 and promise fungicide. What about the 100s of other chemicals and home recipes. Not to mention the lower quality the product the more likely the sprayed something on it and then made extracts. I worked at a grow store long enough to see that many growers use several questionable products and not according to directions.

What percentage of these items makes it to the final product before some poor fool vaporizes it at 700 degrees. There is no way to say what that can do with extended exposure.

I am not saying it is the cause of screaming puke syndrome. But just writing this makes me want to vomit and yell!

kalopatchkid

Veteran
Is it that organic Neem, Aza pesticide? Could be, it's not because it's organic it's not dangerous. Lots of toxic plants, the majority of plants on earth are toxic actually. Many plants can even easily kill a man. Ie. Datura, Bella Donna, Opium poppy's,... to name a few.
you cant compare cannabis to vegetables because we arent lighting them on fire and inhaling them. Certain chemical compounds can become toxic once combusted

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
I do not see why anyone would defend pesticides. They are for emergencies in mom and veg rooms. You should use them to eliminate a problem. Clean your flower room spotless and fill up with clean bug and pesticide free plants. Period. Or stop growing. Period. Sick of having to say this but I needs to be heard!

IMO...it is evidence that: sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

Let me explain, most of us know that cannabis is an accumulator and is used in remediation of soil containing heavy metals (remember Chernobyl?). As the plant accumulates, one has to ask--"where does this stuff go?"...hmmm, pockets within the plant tissues is one answer.

And as these pockets of "accumulation" are mixed with other goodies, say Neem (aka azadirachta) what happens? We don't know. Now throw in all the "cides" that are "systemic" (active ingredient stays within the plant) and the cides with "translocation" properties (movement of active ingredient from leaves to other plant parts)...what happens?

I submit that maybe, maybe...when we expect to see "1 + 2 = 3", the actual formula is more like: 1 + 2 + v = 4 (the missing variable that includes accumulation, systemic, and translocation activities).

Some people can eat peanuts, others eat one peanut and they almost die...some people can drink all the milk they want, others are lactose intolerant...some people can eat shellfish, others eat one shrimp and their face balloons up. So just because it does not happen to "me", it does not mean it won't happen to "you".

Not to mention everyone cloning to propagate instead of starting fresh each time. Not exactly taking that into account.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Maybe dabbing? Too high concentrated extracts? Byproducts of bho? Anyways, I got relief from anxiety attacks after smoking by showering hot. I also partially blame my attacks on poisoning by wood protection products. I had one flat (which was literally made of wood) where I developed several symptoms which got better when I moved to another. But I never vomited, just dizzyness and heavy panic and one time I couldn't speak anymore. But everybody reacts differently, I'd say. Back then I even suspected the carbon filter to emit particles which could have damaged my health but I'm sure now it wasn't. Wood protection poisoning is very underrated and ridiculed, imo. When you visit the doc and say you are suspecting wood protection products to poison you they won't look deeper. That's my experience.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
What is a "WHITEY"?

A 'WHITEY' is when someone consumes strong cannabis, and faints.

The face turns a pasty white/grey pallor, and the person can loose consciousness for a while (usually not so long).

*Pallor is a pale color of the skin that can be caused by illness, emotional shock or stress, stimulant use, or anemia, and is the result of a reduced amount of oxyhaemoglobin and is visible in skin or mucous membrane. Pallor is more evident on the face and palms.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I suspect that CHS only occurs when people engage in very heavy chronic use from edibles or dabs. Attributing it to contaminants is highly speculative. It's been observed all over the world if to a very limited degree & the only known constant is cannabis itself.

I also think it's probably a separate issue from some people's sensitivity to azradactin.

I mean, Hell- even oxygen is toxic when you get too much of it so I think it's important for all of us to realize such a thing is possible & to adjust our behavior should we experience symptoms. Don't wait until you're screaming about scromitting to lay off the dabs.