What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Whats the best method for illegal indoor grow?

RB56

Veteran
Im not planning to get busted, not at all, im just planning so that IF i get busted, i get away the easiest i can!

Im from sweden, here they cut the crop at soil level and dry it. 5kg = 2 years. Im trying to calculate the lowest risk/highest yield
So you want maximum yield from a maximum of 4.99 kg of total plant matter. Even if you only get half the mass in flowers, 2.5 kg is a lot of weed to have on hand. If I produced that much in each flower cycle I'd be stockpiling most of it After 3 runs, I'd probably be overweight on stash alone. Can you get rid of that much weed?

How much space do you have available? What will you use for lights, medium, nutrients? What strains will you be growing? Producing that much weed on an ongoing basis is getting close to being a job.

bigbadbiddy

I produce much smaller quantities but also consume less than average it seems.

So I am running into the stockpiling issue even at sub 500g production cycles (it is all for myself though :D).

A method to deal with that issue that works for me is to freeze everything but the main cola and maybe a few of the biggest buds.

Everything else I give a rough wet-trim and then freeze it fresh from the plant.

The idea is that I only take the creme-de-la-creme of the buds to dry-trim, cure and smoke as bud while all the middle/lower buds are fresh frozen and turned into hash.

You will be surprised how little weight in hash you get from all your harvest ;)

It's an easy way to "compact" your harvest and hash also keeps longer/easier than bud.

I am not sure if you could even freeze the hash at this point. But there isn't really a need as it holds for a very long time without degrading if just stored light-proof at room temp (if I don't mix something up here).

So in the end, I am not stock piling kilos of bud but a few hundred grams of hash instead, which is much more manageable as it is easier to hide/obscure as well as store.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Can you share a link to info on freezing. I have had tons get old and turn brown.

Need to know what humidity level the material needs to be, and how long it can be stored. Would imagine it would be done at 63% humidity after trim.

Thanks!!

RB56

Veteran
I process 80-90% of each crop into coconut oil for edibles. Coconut oil gets sorted into baking batch quantities and frozen in a chest freezer. I process the weed wet, fresh from harvest. That's about 1 kilo (dry estimate), per run, immediately into the freezer. The total weight with the oil is actually more than the source weed but the final product doesn't look marijuana related. I cure the prime buds for vaping/smoking and usually have 3-4 1/2 gallon Mason jars of curing bud. I regularly remove maintenance trimmings from the site.

I end up having way too much plant matter around for the 2-3 days it takes to process the coconut oil, every 3 months or so.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I process 80-90% of each crop into coconut oil for edibles. Coconut oil gets sorted into baking batch quantities and frozen in a chest freezer. I process the weed wet, fresh from harvest. That's about 1 kilo (dry estimate), per run, immediately into the freezer. The total weight with the oil is actually more than the source weed but the final product doesn't look marijuana related. I cure the prime buds for vaping/smoking and usually have 3-4 1/2 gallon Mason jars of curing bud. I regularly remove maintenance trimmings from the site.

I end up having way too much plant matter around for the 2-3 days it takes to process the coconut oil, every 3 months or so.

So for edibles, immediate freeze is OK? Would think it would screw up if for smoking or vaping. I know bang for the buck, properly made edibles are the way to go. Need soy lecithin to magnify the effect, from better absorbtion.

My first batch of cookies, was from cocconutcurry's tek. Ate full cookie and tripped balls, from GG4 sugar trim. I take 1/4th and sleep soundly.

RB56

Veteran
So for edibles, immediate freeze is OK? Would think it would screw up if for smoking or vaping. I know bang for the buck, properly made edibles are the way to go. Need soy lecithin to magnify the effect, from better absorbtion.

My first batch of cookies, was from cocconutcurry's tek. Ate full cookie and tripped balls, from GG4 sugar trim. I take 1/4th and sleep soundly.
I don't freeze the plants before processing - fresh plant matter, coconut oil and lots of water. Simmer for 12 hours and separate the plant matter. This is nice because it takes pounds of obvious MJ plant and turns into into pounds of odorless cellulose.

bigbadbiddy

Don't have a link for freezing fresh bud handy but I am sure there is plenty of info here on the board. I got a lot of my info from here.

But so there is no misunderstanding:
I don't freeze and keep it for long.
The way I understood it, the freezing part is done in order to better separate the resin from the plants when making the bubblehush later on.

I don't keep the material in the freezer for months.
Usually a week or two and then I start to process it.

Afaik, if you want to store bud longer, you need to use a no-frost freezer. Which coincidentally also allows you to do the freeze-curing method which I think highly off and can't wait to try.
I think I finally get a no-frost freezer this christmas xD

Turning a good portion of the harvest into coconut oil or butter or ghee or whatever is also a very, very good idea.

If you find a way to work around the green hue the coconut oil gets for example, I don't think anyone would be able to tell even upon expection.
I doubt anyone in LEO would be quick enough on their feet and know enough about the subject to stop to think to inspect your butter boxes in the fridge ...

RB56

Veteran
Don't have a link for freezing fresh bud handy but I am sure there is plenty of info here on the board. I got a lot of my info from here.

But so there is no misunderstanding:
I don't freeze and keep it for long.
The way I understood it, the freezing part is done in order to better separate the resin from the plants when making the bubblehush later on.

I don't keep the material in the freezer for months.
Usually a week or two and then I start to process it.

Afaik, if you want to store bud longer, you need to use a no-frost freezer. Which coincidentally also allows you to do the freeze-curing method which I think highly off and can't wait to try.
I think I finally get a no-frost freezer this christmas xD

Turning a good portion of the harvest into coconut oil or butter or ghee or whatever is also a very, very good idea.

If you find a way to work around the green hue the coconut oil gets for example, I don't think anyone would be able to tell even upon expection.
I doubt anyone in LEO would be quick enough on their feet and know enough about the subject to stop to think to inspect your butter boxes in the fridge ...
Haven't managed to get rid of the green hue, but I'm not too concerned about that. Frozen oil batches are stored away from the plants.

Even though it's illegal here, it's not like it used to be. 20 grams and under gets a warning and the state police actually came out and said they were enthusiastic about not having to deal with small stashes. I've also had conversations with 2 different cops who thought it was a 20 OUNCE limit, which is awesome. LEO thinking here seems to be that van loads are the threshold :D Regardless. stealth is the way to go. Law enforcement may be less of a risk than before, but rippers are still a serious concern.

And yeah, not telling is the hardest part, but ICMag fills that need.

straw

So you want maximum yield from a maximum of 4.99 kg of total plant matter. Even if you only get half the mass in flowers, 2.5 kg is a lot of weed to have on hand. If I produced that much in each flower cycle I'd be stockpiling most of it After 3 runs, I'd probably be overweight on stash alone. Can you get rid of that much weed?

How much space do you have available? What will you use for lights, medium, nutrients? What strains will you be growing? Producing that much weed on an ongoing basis is getting close to being a job.
I can get rid of it no problem, but i think i will keep the weight down atleast the first couple times.

My goal is i wanna produce ~400-600g a month.

From what ive learned from this thread and others i think im gonna aim towards a perpertual grow with one veg and one bloom room. 6 yield in scrog using hydro. Even tho the sentence isnt solely based on plant number, it certainly looks better to the judge if i was to have 12 plants instead of 120.

How does that sound guys?:)

M

moose eater

Pick your path and run with it. Your logic re. plant counts is not uncommon, though it sounds like aggregate weight in your area is the bigger issue. Still, appearances may matter if the time of need ever arises.

My nerves have never/rarely been able to handle perpetual harvest. I've always felt a need for that elongated 'sigh' at the end of a go, where the 'finish line' is more clearly defined. Down-time mattes if you ever get to a point of nerves taking a toll. But while we're all somewhat the same, we are all made of somewhat different 'metal' too.

Good luck to you!!!

straw

Pick your path and run with it. Your logic re. plant counts is not uncommon, though it sounds like aggregate weight in your area is the bigger issue. Still, appearances may matter if the time of need ever arises.

My nerves have never/rarely been able to handle perpetual harvest. I've always felt a need for that elongated 'sigh' at the end of a go, where the 'finish line' is more clearly defined. Down-time mattes if you ever get to a point of nerves taking a toll. But while we're all somewhat the same, we are all made of somewhat different 'metal' too.

Good luck to you!!!

Yeah, i feel you on this point! I dont really want a full time job growing. But the problem for me is if im going one grow at a time, that means i have to harvest twice as much. Lets say a grow cycle is 4 months, that would mean like 2kgs. Anyone got a educated guess how much total dry weight i can expect with 2kg of dry bud?

But yeah i got your point. I guess you cant plan everything i just gotta go through with it!

M

moose eater

I've never weighed my TOTAL plant weight once dried, to include refuse. Just weighed the higher-grade trim, the finished bud product, and hash. But based on others' statements in your thread, if your dried bud weight is just over half of your total aggregate, then you should be safe.

Of course, 'leafier' varieties will have slightly higher weights in total end production. As well as those varieties with thicker stem structure will cause some variances.

Also, my on-again, off-again method was not just a strategy for dealing with nerves, but also, in helping with the 'nerves' issue, a legal strategy. i.e., LEO hates egg on their face, and any uncertainty as to what might be had by kicking in a door, might cause some hesitation.

In other words, if LEO's not certain that there's a decent score to be had by going through all the hoops of getting a warrant and violating someone's castle's sanctuary, etc., I've believed/hoped they're less apt to jump. In that regard, leaving them guessing is also a defense barrier of sorts.

Yeah, i feel you on this point! I dont really want a full time job growing. But the problem for me is if im going one grow at a time, that means i have to harvest twice as much. Lets say a grow cycle is 4 months, that would mean like 2kgs. Anyone got a educated guess how much total dry weight i can expect with 2kg of dry bud?

But yeah i got your point. I guess you cant plan everything i just gotta go through with it!

Easy7

Veteran
Indoor is not the best covert method. Unless you have hidden space. Totally silent and smell proof, hidden from snoopers.

Outdoor it's easier to deny. Unless you are caught working on the plants, harvesting and hauling home, with tools of the trade in route or leaving or on site, it's very hard to be tied to the crime.

Indoors is hard to deny

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
When I plant in the bush, it's at 4:30am. When I visit the grow, I always walk out with my camera taking pictures of everything interesting. Bugs, mushrooms, crazy tree, bird... If I get caught, I have an out as a nature nerd. For harvest time, I only do it at dusk or even dark, or like 1/2 hour before sunrise. Police departments here won't pay overtime for cops to sit there overnight to catch you. (Mind you, I do know someone who was caught at his grow by the OPP during the day time. When the cop rushed him, he thought it was a bear. lol)

It's important to know that cops can't allow drugs to hit the streets once they've found it. That means instead of sitting there and waiting for you, they'll just pull it out of the ground and destroy your crop. So do like a squirrel and spread out your grows in different areas so you don't lose the whole thing.

Last edited:

Easy7

Veteran
They found a large grow in our area, drying under a tarp. Largest grow I have ever seen around here. The cops played it like they had trail cam evidence. The losers never did charge anyone. The growers lost their weed but did not get a charge. They probably spent very little. It looked like a brick seed grow with chems. As cheap as they come.

The problem is having standards. Having desires and emotional investment. Things get complicated if you allow all your hearts desires to get involved. You are not going to do well if you bought the entire seed catalogue. Find the right bean for the job.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Haven't managed to get rid of the green hue, but I'm not too concerned about that. Frozen oil batches are stored away from the plants.

You can re-dissolve in hot water to get rid of the chlorophyll.It will remain in the water and when you let you oil cool off again it's not green anymore. Sometimes you have to do a second wash, but that's it...because to behonest-the green colour kind of gives it away to anyone looking at it...

Best,
CC

Kaskadian

Veteran
I don't know how much of a difference it makes but I grew in a "red-state" for 10+ years. As others have said, if no one knows you're growing then who do you really have to worry about? It's the angry ex-girlfriend, the big mouth friend, and people growing + selling out of their house that get popped 99/100 times. Do NOT tell anyone, not your best friend, not your girlfriend, not your roommates, NO ONE. The ol' saying "loose lips sink ships" couldn't be more true.

In my case I was running 1000w between veg/flower. I used a carbon scrubber and all air exiting the grow room was "scrubbed" before venting outside. I never ordered seeds/grow equipment to my grow area, I never told anyone, I paid all my bills on time, I didn't leave grow equipment, bags of soil, etc laying around, and I wasn't a disruptive neighbor. I never had any issues.

Use common sense, control odor/light leaks, don't ship grow related stuff to your property, keep your mouth shut, and you don't really need to panic.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I don't know how much of a difference it makes but I grew in a "red-state" for 10+ years. As others have said, if no one knows you're growing then who do you really have to worry about? It's the angry ex-girlfriend, the big mouth friend, and people growing + selling out of their house that get popped 99/100 times. Do NOT tell anyone, not your best friend, not your girlfriend, not your roommates, NO ONE. The ol' saying "loose lips sink ships" couldn't be more true.

In my case I was running 1000w between veg/flower. I used a carbon scrubber and all air exiting the grow room was "scrubbed" before venting outside. I never ordered seeds/grow equipment to my grow area, I never told anyone, I paid all my bills on time, I didn't leave grow equipment, bags of soil, etc laying around, and I wasn't a disruptive neighbor. I never had any issues.

Use common sense, control odor/light leaks, don't ship grow related stuff to your property, keep your mouth shut, and you don't really need to panic.

Smart.

Scrubbing to outdoor or the attic is the riskiest. But a hot spot at ground level is always assumed to be the dryer vent, and you get bonus points if you can route to it.

The last kid just left for college and is now in residence! That 12x20 basement bedroom is being converted into a nursery. Only it ain't for no human babies. Woot!

Palindrome

King of Schwag
If you want to run cycles, in the shortest amount of time, at the lowest cost. You should grow SOG style with little to no veg, given you have a mother room and can make a lot of clones.

The plants yeild less, but you have more of them. And without the veg time, you save money on power from skiping veg. Running a good indica dom strain, you can harvest every 65 days give or take.

What I used to do, was just cut clones 3 weeks before harvest. The last week, I would double the light and feed them a mild veg solution.

Giving you 5 flower cycles per year, at a lower cost then 4 + veg. In total the lower yeild x 5 adds up to the 4 bigger yeilds at a higher cost.

Latest posts

Latest posts