What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Exhaust Fan Recommendation

HeartlandHank

Hello. So I am in need of two 10,000 cfm fans (rated at .1" static pressure). I am looking for a recommendation for a brand/manufacturer I can acquire in the US. I cannot seem to find much for reviews. I want a reliable piece of equipment, ideally without over spending.
Does anyone know what the Vortex (high end) of greenhouse fans is? The CAN (mid grade)? The Active Air (economy)?

I used Ray Kessler's "Greenhouse Cooling Calculations" Auburn paper to come up with the fan size. I'm confident that at 10-11k cfm will do the job.

I'm building a 20' x 60' (6 x 18 meters) with pads and fan cooling (water walls). The extra cfm in my numbers are there because the water walls take a little more power in the fan than pulling through open shutters.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
420giveaway
Heartlandhank, I purchased my greenhouse from farmtek. I'm sure they could hook you up with two of the perfect fans you need. I thought their prices were very fair. My exhaust fan has been running for months on end. It's a fairly quiet two speed 36" fan. Mine is in a 12'w x 20'l x 10'h greenhouse. I'm very happy with the quality of my purchase. Peace

CrushnYuba

I think there is allot you street considering with one of those calculators.
If you are in a place that evap cooling even works. Dry dry places. Cali, Oregon, Nevada, Arizona, chances are you get allot of sun to.
Solar gain is a real bitch. You can't put your pads on one endwall and exhaust on the other. By the time you get 20 feet down the greenhouse that cool air will be hot again. For pad cooling you have to run pads on one sidewall and exhaust on the other sidewall. That way you are only pulling 20 feet total. You also just effectively lost your roll up sides or drop down curtains. And you have to run about 6 exhaust fans.
Better idea, run real high roll up sides and high pressure misters. The good ones that won't get you wet. Use good horizontal air movement fans to get that water evaporating over head.
Exhaust fans for me are just during black out or on coolish days. On hot days my sides are open.

As far as good fans go, everyone makes them. Are you running light traps? That will dictate what kind of fan you need. The housing type will make more of a difference then brand. You can also get housings/shutters separate from fans
Schafer, dayton, valuetek, whatever.
You also need to decide if you want Belt driven or direct drive.

Latest posts

Latest posts