What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Purple Highland Laos (Bohdi)

I am working with a strain that has highland traits and it really shows in its leaf shape and colour. its cold resistance in the strain is amazing.

ngakpa

Veteran
Muang Sing

fwiw, Muang Sing isn't a traditional ganja cultivation region. It's right up on the border with China.

Nobody who understands Laos would go hunting for Sativa ganja landraces there.

The crop in that region is traditionally opium, and the only Cannabis traditionally grown is hemp.

Real ganja cultivation happens in the ethnic Lao regions, which really start properly from Luang Prabang southwards, and don't really getting going till Vientaine and from there down to Cambodia.

That's not to say you're going to get seeds just by turning up and asking - unless you find them in some buds.

musigny23

fwiw, Muang Sing isn't a traditional ganja cultivation region. It's right up on the border with China.

The crop in that region is traditionally opium, and the only Cannabis traditionally grown is hemp.

Real ganja cultivation happens in the ethnic Lao regions, which really start properly from Luang Prabang southwards, and don't really getting going till Vientaine and from there down to Cambodia.

That's not to say you're going to get seeds just by turning up and asking - unless you find them in some buds.

As I posted earlier I have both the Khalifa version of the Purple Highland Lao and the RSC Mango Thai (from the batch available last November). Growing both now, along with some other Thai/Lao types, and I'm a bit surprised to see they strongly resemble each other. Enough that at the very least they are closely related. I don't know the details of the collection of either of these, but based on ngakpa's post, it may be that Bohdi acquired his away from its actual home.

It's looking like from the 4 seeds of each germinated I'm getting 2 females of each. It will be interesting to see how they develop and what they become by the end and if the resemblance holds or drifts apart.

ngakpa

Veteran
Hi, to be clear for anyone reading, it's the Purple Highland Lao and pre-Dec 2019 Mango Thai accession that resemble each other. The other accessions are markedly different from them and each other.

The strain description for the previous Mango Thai accession explained the situation re. ganja cultivation in the far north of Laos, but I've taken it down since the new Vientiane accession went up.

The far north esp. highlands is mostly minority groups who are non-Lao.

Seeds are provided to hilltribes by Thai brokers, who also explain techniques such as rogueing out males, spacing, timing etc.

I know aficionados like to indulge fantasies of hilltribes having their own ganja landraces, but it's Tai groups such as the Thai and Lao who traditionally grow ganja.

That's how hilltribes get the seeds for commercial grows. Commercial ganja cultivation in the far north is a new thing, ime in the last 5 years or so.

Of course, there's long been people in the north growing plants in the garden for cooking etc. But the commercial crop up there has always been opium.

T

TakenByTheSky

I noticed today that Khalifa has changed the name of the strain and has given a little more clarification as to where the seeds are from.

"This rare highland Laotian landrace is recommended to collectors, preservationists and breeders looking for outstanding vigor, mold resistance and unique aromas.

Coming from the akha tribe of Northern Laos. This unique highland jungle sativa is both colorful (With many purple expressions) and flavorful"

"The Akha Tribe may have brought seeds from nearby Yunnan into northern Laos as they fled China in the early 20th century. That would explain why this Sativa-looking cultivar also displays some Indica characteristics. Indeed, the sweet creamy aromas, relatively short flowering time and big trichome glands make this strain stand out from most tropical ganja cultivars. It suggests a possible connection between the Yunnanese landraces and the tall southeast Asian Sativas. Bodhi, famous strain hunter and breeder, collected the seeds directly at source during his 2014 yunnan china and northern laos seed safari. A joint preservation project with the Mitseedco then allowed the team at Khalifa Genetics to preserve this rare strain while improving its sexual stability indoors."

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
It's funny to see everyone stealing each others genetics nowadays within the landrace scene... people just seems desperate for biz.

Sad that the people who put time and effort on sourcing and preserving seeds are sharing their repros for the love and many are ending being sold by greedy wannabes.

T

TakenByTheSky

The way cannabis evolves is thru human cultivation and breeding, it is the world's largest open source project.

Last edited:
I have the solution:
every pure genetic must be accessible to everyone for say 1 euro/dollar a seed....
Why? 1€/$ to pay the production.
Or another solution can be "fairtrade" (Kaiki from CBG was doing it with Mexican strains...)

With that, no more big biz, no more lies for money, no more clash between greedy people, etc
I am a dreamer... :thank you:

Vibes

XDash

Yep, sad , a guy from ���� recently received some seeds from me (it was on 03/2019), he was actively searching for them on the forum , I had made a deal with him , he was free to use the line in cross for his personal grow or to sell it on the seed market but I asked him to also make some repopulation to maintain the pure form and to share with people (indifferently for free or for money ,I don’t care ) for this line and for an other one .... he was very enthusiastic at the beginning , but I never seen any pics from his grow room or outdoor grow and he ghosted me since January no more contact on mail or on Instagram, he blocked me ��... people’s are so selfish and sneaky these days, I am too old for this shity game ��

musigny23

It's funny to see everyone stealing each others genetics nowadays within the landrace scene... people just seems desperate for biz.

Sad that the people who put time and effort on sourcing and preserving seeds are sharing their repros for the love and many are ending being sold by greedy wannabes.

In this case I don't think any stealing was going on. Khalifa always gave credit to Bodhi as his source as far as I know. The value he felt he was adding was to take steps to stabilize it and reproduce it with that.

RSC obtained their seeds in the same region at a different time by their own effort and resources and they offered them in "raw" form. The value there is trustworthy authenticity and reliable support and customer service.

SUPER_HAZE

My opinion is that if someone gives you seeds with the condition of not selling them, you should keep your word and only share them with trusted people so that they don't get lost.

If you buy them from a seed bank and they are no longer available, you spend money on a rent or electricity, materials, time, effort ... I do not bad see that they are sold by citing the source, doing a good job and at a fair price. No prices high.

SUPER_HAZE

Another thing about seed collectors that I don't like is the high prices of some varieties.

Sometimes you need a lot of seeds to find something good and if in seed banks it is hard to imagine in local varieties. I have some landraces with more than 50 seeds, several packages and still I do not know if I will find something special.

They should lower the price to be able to make a good selection with a good amount of seeds.

I am also of the opinion that if someone works a landrace variety from a seed bank, eliminates hermie, weak plants, which do not smell, resinate... Puts a fair price and quotes the origin, I see it well for the work done.

Many people can only put a few plants and it is frustrating that they do not turn out good because they are not worked or they cannot plant more and look for something good.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer

Or worse ending up in the hands of The Corporate Cannabis Industry.

This is why many don't share.

T

TakenByTheSky

Not a chance...

The Akha don't even traditionally grow hemp, never mind ganja

Also, they were migrating south a lot earlier than that

Hmmm.. so you say these Laos are the same seeds as your mango Thai?

I've bought both, I have the highland thai, the mango Thai and these Laos I've got to get popping some of these for a winter grow.

funkyhorse

Hmmm.. so you say these Laos are the same seeds as your mango Thai?

I've bought both, I have the highland thai, the mango Thai and these Laos I've got to get popping some of these for a winter grow.

Hmmm, if I understood correctly, what he is saying is that the "accession" sold until dec 2019 is this Highland Purple which is supposed to be from Muan Sing but I agree with Ngakpa about this:

So there are at least 3 different mango Thai versions/accessions: the first one which seemed to be full of hermies from which Numide found a non hermie male and reproduced the line. Ngakpa, do you still have this one?

The second one is this Purple Highland which I doubt is from Muan Sing

And what is the version/accession you are currently selling for Mango Thai after dec 2019 Ngakpa? Are there more versions carrying the name Mango Thai or just these 3?

ngakpa

Veteran
the details of which the accession is are always in the strain description at The Real Seed Company and Kwik Seeds, though I doubt retailers include that detail

the current batch sold as Mango Thai is from a farmer in Vientiane Province, collected late 2019 or early 2020, I forget, but the detail is in description

Charles-scott

Veteran
I would love to have some of these to run in the SE Asian Sativa hunt I am starting in two weeks in Jamaica, I have worked my Cambodian line since 91 and it’s really amazing was a real lesson working with that strain I nearly have up at times back in the day no information existed about male
Hermaphrodites haha .
My wife and I really loved the orange peakoe / Chocolate Cambodia/ Thai we had and I wanted to lock it down that is now orange peakoe Cambodian .
With a little help of highland Nepalese I shared with Ace and Cannabiogen back in 02-03 was also the father of Willie Nelson.
I. Got sick in 2019 and ended up in hospital for over 2 weeks in Phanom Phen and stopped me from getting too far into Loas .
Anyways it’s amazing to see these strains being grown Many said he wide leaf Of the Burmese i released way back in the day was not authentic it’s roots were in a very similar strain .
Stay blessed
Charles

Attachments

• 3376B998-59B0-4480-98D7-1D14A4358C78.jpeg
    3376B998-59B0-4480-98D7-1D14A4358C78.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 80

Lolo94

I noticed today that Khalifa has changed the name of the strain and has given a little more clarification as to where the seeds are from.

"This rare highland Laotian landrace is recommended to collectors, preservationists and breeders looking for outstanding vigor, mold resistance and unique aromas.

Coming from the akha tribe of Northern Laos. This unique highland jungle sativa is both colorful (With many purple expressions) and flavorful"

"The Akha Tribe may have brought seeds from nearby Yunnan into northern Laos as they fled China in the early 20th century. That would explain why this Sativa-looking cultivar also displays some Indica characteristics. Indeed, the sweet creamy aromas, relatively short flowering time and big trichome glands make this strain stand out from most tropical ganja cultivars. It suggests a possible connection between the Yunnanese landraces and the tall southeast Asian Sativas. Bodhi, famous strain hunter and breeder, collected the seeds directly at source during his 2014 yunnan china and northern laos seed safari. A joint preservation project with the Mitseedco then allowed the team at Khalifa Genetics to preserve this rare strain while improving its sexual stability indoors."
I trekked to an Akha village in Northwestern Thailand in 1999 (with a guide). This village was on a hilltop along the Burma border. There was no car access, only mopeds and dirtbikes. One evening I was invited to eat and speak with the elder men (translated by the guide). Women only came in to serve the food. After, we all sampled the village liquor and compressed cannabis stored in corn cobs. This weed looked identical to the Malawi Cob often referenced on this site. It was incredible smoke (energetic, euphoric, and somewhat hallucinogenic). I stayed up all night, alternating between fits of laughter and a weird trippy paranoia reality check sort of high. After learning that I had also been a grower, they offered me a bag of seeds. These were the biggest cannabis seeds that I've ever seen. Paranoia (common sense?) got the best of me and I ended giving the seeds away in Thailand. I've read that the seeds from southern Chinese cannabis plants are also very large, so maybe there is a historical link of the Akha bringing their seeds with them for personal use, and not necessarily for production. I've had the opportunity to try alot of great cannabis (including other thai strains in Thailand and Hawaii) from the 80's on to the present and this strain (and the whole experience surrounding it) ranked as one of the most memorable. Attached is a photo of the area looking along the Burma border

Attachments

• Thailand_1999(2).jpg
    Thailand_1999(2).jpg
    763.4 KB · Views: 60

IndicaFarmer

HL Laos 16 Week Flower Update

HL Laos 16 Week Flower Update

Hola Sativa Lovers,

After a long summer I finally have a picture update on the Purple Highland Laos from Bohdi.

The strain has incredible vigor as seen by the size of the stalk in a 5 gallon container...completely restricted and would be a beast in the ground. Resin content great, yield is very low but believe this is due to the very small growing pot, and the Effect is Sublime! It is intense cedar with a sweet tropical fruit undertone, which is creamy smooth. Extremely focused creeper style high that last 2-3 hrs with no cure at all. It is some of the Best I have smoked and will need to explore this line to get better yield in the future.

Notice how the ganja bleeds the rolling paper Purple....absolutely insane and never seen by me before in 20yrs+ growing. This is a heirloom strain without a doubt!

Saludos

RC_Colas

THANK YOU Bodhi!!!!
did you by any chance make seed of this variety? or cross it to something? amazingly beautiful plant!

Latest posts

Latest posts