What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I think Phillip Morris really might be creeping into the cannabis game

Not sure what you were trying to get at at all, but the niche market its where its at for any small farm no matter what your growing, and I absolutely get 4-5× grocery prices at farmers market all day haha and when bud it 2 buck a gram from phillip morris, people will definately pay 10 a gram for real herb. Your prices are way off for sure once things go legit. You probably right of folks were to continue growing commercial cannabis like commercial flowers, but thats definately not going to be the case. The big farms will be planting acres and using traditional farm equipment and when people start growing herb as an agriculture product and not as a horti product prices will bottom and its going to be waaaay less than 100 and oz. Idk like I said they can have it ill grow my own.

Did you look at the link Purplefrostbyte posted?

They are going to be $89 a pack and who knows what quality?!

And this is the reason the corporate world maintains a majority of the market share.
Your fuckin greedy!!!
That is one of the most ignorant fucking things Ive read on here in a while. Calling a fucking dirt farmer greedy, way to show your fool card right off the bat. Cause ya, it cost me the same to produce as a large corporation...are you that ignorant that you actually believe that?Im not even going to give you the time of day expaining how little you made yourself sound, and what it takes to run a fucking small family farm but if anybody else feels the need to question me PM me and I will gladly share. In the mean time stop letting your ignorance fool you and keep your mouth garbage to yourself, and ill take solice in the fact that you wouldnt think about calling me greedy if you werent hiding behind a computer. Go ahead and respond but Im not going to play the back and forth with you, im a real life type of guy, so till then......

Man I hate when things get hostile and stupid around here, as much as anybody, but man i cant help get irritated if someones going to call me lazy or greedy, especially if its just some fuck who have no idea. I apologize to everyone who wasted time reading this. Man that pisses me off.

Bwanabud

If there is money to be made PM will jump in the game, and run people over with their money and power.

SneakySneaky

Veteran
theyve been in the game since before it was legal just waiting like a vulture. without going too much into specifics a friend of ours does custom heating and ac work, like high end hermetically sealed hospital grade installations. about 2 years ago he started working on the green houses, 50 football field sized computer controlled retracting roof greenhouses all push button controlled. wanna guess who paid for it just waiting for oregon to legalize it, marlboro sponsored by monsanto backed by the us gov..... due to signed contracts he couldnt say that, but the look in his eye when i hit the nail on he head said it all. remember that episode of weeds where the marlboro guy is talking about making "chemosabes" welp get ready for marlboro greens.

thejact55

My 2 cents. I share alots of similar views as sneakysneaky. If weed is a billion dollar business (which it is) why wouldn't RJ Reynolds, Phillip Morris, Monsanto ect get into it? They will and they have. If money is to be made, the best of the best will infiltrate.
How do you fight it?? This will take a hit to the awesome growers of the world that are in business, but its really one or the other.
Lets cut the shit...is weed really worth what is being paid?? NO!. I threw a quarter pound in the trash last month...literally threw it away. some people pay 1000 dollars for that!?! Why? Weed is worth zero dollars to me. I would never pay 20 bucks for a few bowls. I would never pay 200 for an ounce. Its worth as much as carrots and celery to me.
So the point I am making, the decision is to make weed worth nothing, and cut out the greedy corportations, or keep making your own profits and accept they will be big players.
If the government was smart, they would be dropping bricks of bud out of planes for the public to use for free. How would the cartels make money? they wouldnt. bye bye crime.
So decide, is weed a plant that really, after set-up and some nice seeds to get mothers from to clone, all the cost to have it is an electric bill (literally worth nothing), or is it a plant that can keep being extorted as a cash crops. sorry to the grerat breeders that are doing good work, I feel for you. I dont give a shit either way, I buy seeds and grow as a hobby, and as a light smoke, I never go through my crops. And I dont care to make a dime, not my cup of tea. But some people have to choose, is this something that should be as cheap as oats, or keep making money and allow the big players to thrive..cause they will...

WelderDan

Veteran
Tobacco is much more difficult to grow than cannabis. It is much more labor intensive, and grows in a much narrower range of climate than cannabis does. Cannabis, being easier to grow, and commanding a much higher price per pound is a logical step since tobacco use is declining.

The tobacco industry once lobbied intensely against cannabis legalization. They saw it as a competitor. Until tobacco use started declining that is. With more and more evidence tobacco caused all kinds of health problems, the fact that tobacco was no longer allowed to be advertised, and the minimum age to purchase tobacco raised to 21, tobacco took a huge hit. Add to that the hefty taxes being applied to tobacco, and the writing is on the wall. The tobacco companies can't recruit new addicts fast enough to see continued profits. Adapt or die.

Plus they already have the means to process and package plant matter, and a switch to cannabis would be relatively simple.

Philip Morris and the Altria group would be stupid if they didn't attempt to get in the game. You can bet they are watching, and they will jump in eventually. There is too much money to be made for them not to.

Bubbamaniac

Big Tobacco, Big Ag,.... As many of the Bigs will all be staking there claims as legalization emerges over the dawn. It's simply just too much money to leave to a free market. I really honest too God wouldn't be surprised if, or should I say when full scale legalization is passed federally that all the laws change. In all honesty, and this is strictly my opinion I could see them restructuring how the cannabis industry is ran all together. As in dispensaries gone, growers gone, and restructure it so that "big" interests control it solely, like big tobacco, big ag et. Does Phillip Morris have enough money and resources to supply the country with marijuana? The answer you bet ya! Billions of dollars can get any job done. Why would they do this? Well the answer is simple too keep as much money between taxes, and there friends as possible. The market is too big and valuable to not control it just saying.....

Lets cut the shit...is weed really worth what is being paid?? NO!. I threw a quarter pound in the trash last month...literally threw it away. some people pay 1000 dollars for that!?! Why? Weed is worth zero dollars to me. I would never pay 20 bucks for a few bowls. I would never pay 200 for an ounce. Its worth as much as carrots and celery to me.

I wish I had your problems man.. lol You sound like your taking it for granted. People dont realize what they have till its gone.

Last edited:

thejact55

I wish I had your problems man.. lol You sound like your taking it for granted. People dont realize what they have till its gone.

I understand where your coming from man. I think my difference is I smoke way light. Like a gram a week, one to three hits in the evening, regardless of ounces just sitting in front of me. I just love growing and always have in my adult life. I guess since I don't have the same outlook on weed as most people.
My rant was correct in concept but not necessarily reasonable to an overall population with different living circumstances and consumption levels.

bigbadbiddy

What I find most interesting in all this is how the cannabis community will react to Monsanto et al entering "the game".

We already know that Monsanto has purchased a large interest in General Hydroponics.

I was expecting a huge outcry and boycott of GH products by the cannabis community. And there was, some.

But I had to dig a little and search until I found out that Monsanto is affiliated with GH. It is not like this is public and common knowledge apparently.

So I turned my back on GH and won't be using any of their products.
But it seems to me that many if not most do not share my sentiment and do not care to the same degree. GH products are still widely used and will likely continue to be as their Floramicro and Florabloom are among the cheapest available mineral fertilizers for cannabis out there. The Lucas Formula exists and is very inviting to new growers just "entering the game". Heck I was going to use it for its simplicity and it suggest GH products as its base.

In the coming years big tobacco and companies like Monsanto will continue to try and get their filthy fingers into the industry.

And I truly, truly wonder how our community will react.

The best analogy I could come up with is this:
It is like the abusive father that used to hit and torture us all childhood and forbidding us everything we enjoy, punishing us severely with more abuse if we didn't honor his "rules".
Then he split and left us with mom for years only checking back in occasionally to see if we broke any of his rules and punishing us if we did.

Then, decades later, he shows up again. We just won the lottery and now he suddenly wants to be part of our life again and he is "all organic now ya know?"...
All those transgressions from the past... forget about them.

During his years away from the family he has handled huge amounts of cash and run big corporations, he knows how to handle wealth, how to invest, he has the connections and the infrastructure, we should really hand those lottery winnings and the family's fortune over to him as he is by far the best suited to manage it all. In our interest of course more than his. Obviously, duh.

My expectation?
The children won't forgive dad and will want to make that bastard suffer and end up homeless in the dirt, just like he did to us.

But the mums probably are too much of an irrational and soft-hearted bitch to go through with it. Will forgive him and give him another chance "just to see if he changed ya know?".
Then that motherfucker will buy her a new car from the "interest he created investing the family fortune" and she will be convinced that he changed and is now a good guy. No, he always was. Just the circumstances ya know? Peer pressure and such...

Excuses...

And 10 years later, Monsanto will patent the first cannabis strains and aim to control our medical and recreational supplies just as they are trying with our food supply.

Brave new world.

WelderDan

Veteran
Tobacco is far more labor intensive to grow than cannabis. Cannabis will grow in a much wider range of climates than what tobacco will. Producing cannabis would be considerably cheaper than tobacco. Cannabis commands a higher price per given weight than tobacco.

Tobacco companies already have the means to process and package large amounts of plant matter.

If cannabis goes legal, you bet your ass tobacco companies will jump in. $$$$ Cha-ching baby.

Ha! I didn't realize I already posted in this thread. Oh well, said pretty much the same thing

coldcanna

Veteran
The limiting factor I believe is that the majority of states with agricultural climates are in the south and I really don't see them being part of any legalization efforts. And if they did magically come around and have plantations of dope, it would most likely replace the Mexican outs, not anything high quality so its not like an american career pot grower is going to be replaced by mass produced shwagg because that product is already in our markets and we aren't making it as it is.

Just trying to be optimistic here. The millennial generation is in a major way responsible for the rise of craft beer, which seems to be a good comparison to fine pot. As long as the consumers continue to support the craft industry and we watch it grow exponentially then I think there is hope. Somebody else said to vote with your dollars and I couldn't put it any better myself.

Bwanabud

I agree ^^^ but feel a large company like PM will take advantage of indoor technology, and not deal with the wrath of mother nature on their cash crop. They have far more funds and political power than all of us, and will get the cheapest power rates along with bulk purchasing nutrients...they will change/ruin the market for the rest of us.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Years ago I recall Firesign Theater parodying the future of cannabis cigarettes with filters and fancy packaging with marketing jingles... now it is becoming a reality.

Slipnot

Personally with the way the movement is going a person needs a good marketing strategy and that can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars which most stoners do not have ,,
So who has that money of course corporations :) So were left with them taking a big junk or percentage out of your product ,, banks are not going to lend money to you
so your stuck with loan sharks , or just getting bent over

I said this all along there is going to be huge changes in state laws over the next few years as corporate companies take over all the business of MJ and eventually bump everyone out its fact think of it as a 5 - 8 year experiment you have been the Guinni pigs

We the people will never have it our way as fast as they allowed it is as fast as they will take it away
Truly speaking the government will never allow the people to have control of anything Never will that happen

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The limiting factor I believe is that the majority of states with agricultural climates are in the south and I really don't see them being part of any legalization efforts. And if they did magically come around and have plantations of dope, it would most likely replace the Mexican outs, not anything high quality so its not like an american career pot grower is going to be replaced by mass produced shwagg because that product is already in our markets and we aren't making it as it is.

Just trying to be optimistic here. The millennial generation is in a major way responsible for the rise of craft beer, which seems to be a good comparison to fine pot. As long as the consumers continue to support the craft industry and we watch it grow exponentially then I think there is hope. Somebody else said to vote with your dollars and I couldn't put it any better myself.

i agree !!! the tobacco companys will take over alot of the growing for commercial product , but it will be just that , commercial grown bud . if you want the high quality stuff it will be from Craft growers like ourselves . it will more than likely be an underground market like it is now , but you'll never get high quality bud from a commercial grow op !!!

Del_9_THC

Well, I dunno.

I hate see the big evil pedlars of death get involved in cannabis, but if they think money can be made they will muscle in.

Although I see this as a big negative, One thing that might push legalization is getting big business behind ganja. They have already bought all the politicians, so you know that when they say "jump" senators, congressmen, mp's, and the like will do their bidding.

Who knows?

bigbadbiddy

It probably is a necessary evil to let these big corps into the market even after all they did to us and the plant itself.

It will indeed benefit the continued spread of legalization, I would even go as far as saying it is necessary for it.

I am pretty sure money (currently tax dollars) is the driving force behind the legalization movement. And it will continue to be because that's the world we have constructed and live in today.

My hope is that after these big businesses have made some money, pushed into the market and bribed governments to legalize it everywhere, the market ("us") will make them pay.

Once it has been legalized everywhere, we sure as fuck don't need those bastards anymore and I would love nothing more than Monsanto etc. stock prices crashing down after a world wide campaign and boycotts against their products.

One can dream ...