What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why all the hate with Autoflowers?

offthehook

Veteran
View Image

Blue Himalayan Diesel - Breeder is stich. Took roughly 90 days from seed to harvest. Grown in CoCo drip system.

Why is it always the same pic of this same plant that is comming my way time after time in pretty much every auto thread !?

Haven't this effort already been duplicated elsewhere on a frequent basis? Or is this some kind of Guinnes record?

Texan

agreed.. I had given 2 clones of the same strain different seeds.. to a friend wen he left to go back to Colorado.. he got back.. had them tested .. clone a was 17.5 thc. 1.1 cbd.. and at the time they weren't testing for terpenes.. clone b was 20 thc and 1.5cbd .. and clone A.. stunk like a bitch.. Clone B was frostier.. but not as stinky.. and Clone A had the better high of the 2..

that's when I stopped caring strictly about THC.. and started to give a shit about terpenes.. and other cannabinoids ..

its like.. look up wat the terpenes effects are without thc and cannibinoids.. and find what effect your looking for.. then find the strains that contain that .. and you will find strains that u like more then high thc strains for sure..

its all personal pref tho.. some like downer bud some upper.. some inbetween.. lol

That's really interesting. The lower THC and higher CBD strain was better, really cool.

I guess it's best to judge a plant by its total % of cannabanoid and not just THC %.

Thanks for your input.

Why is it always the same pic of this same plant that is comming my way time after time in pretty much every auto thread !?

Haven't this effort already been duplicated elsewhere on a frequent basis? Or is this some kind of Guinnes record?

Point the way, I'd like to see where my plant has been showcased :biggrin:

drgr33nuk

That's really interesting. The lower THC and higher CBD strain was better, really cool.

I guess it's best to judge a plant by its total % of cannabanoid and not just THC %.

Thanks for your input.

Check out some of the CBD crew's work they on it ;)

GrowerGaz

I like the new latest autoflowers they are really quite good, Dinafem Humboldt and Dutch passion have some great strains capable of yielding 200g +
This is a picture of the Dinafem fruit 160 cm

Attachments

• IMG_20140730_210610.jpg
    IMG_20140730_210610.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 17

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like the new latest autoflowers they are really quite good, Dinafem Humboldt and Dutch passion have some great strains capable of yielding 200g +

Where were you ten years ago when I was in constant battle over autoflowers and having everyone judge them by maybe growing one strain one time and condemning AF's from then on !!! :woohoo:

I kept saying it takes time and breeding to get them from blah to whoa !!!! :dance013:

What kind of strains are there going to be in another ten years ?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Where were you ten years ago when I was in constant battle over autoflowers and having everyone judge them by maybe growing one strain one time and condemning AF's from then on !!! :woohoo:

I kept saying it takes time and breeding to get them from blah to whoa !!!! :dance013:

What kind of strains are there going to be in another ten years ?[/quote]

S_a_H-

Yes, I was there, not at inception...but a year or 2 later, trying numerous strains. And now, having found a wild rudy from the Rocky Mountains, it took 5-6 generations to make it a nice tasting strain. So, I understand patience, perserverence.

Autos have come a long way, and still through selective breeding, they will continue to morph to a respectable engaging population of growers. Not everyone can grow 14 ft (~4 m) giants (seen some beauties in my day), thus autos offer their own uniqueness.

Thanks to you and others, autos are available to the masses!!

OGEvilgenius

Veteran

Having grown out multiple packs of Think Different I can assure you they are not good. They will yield I guess.

What I don't understand about autoflowering breeders is why do they keep reusing Lowryder for the trait? Zamal is reported to have autoflowering traits and it's amazing smoke. Why not use something that is more interesting to breed with?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Having grown out multiple packs of Think Different I can assure you they are not good. They will yield I guess.

What I don't understand about autoflowering breeders is why do they keep reusing Lowryder for the trait? Zamal is reported to have autoflowering traits and it's amazing smoke. Why not use something that is more interesting to breed with?

You make a valid point, however, it's what is genetically transformed (higher potency strain in tandem with Low Ryder) that makes a truly satisfying harvest/smoke.

And...there are different 'lowryder' strains.

Williams Wonder is part of the early evolution into autoflowers, as well as Northn Light- together making the stable lowryder many use for strains. Still used today for stability.

It (Wms Wonder /LR) is typicaly an indica ruderalis which promotes a faster turn around/harvest.

Zamal, on the other hand, is an African sativa early flowering trait.

Both have their purpose on creating unique autoflower strains.

offthehook

Veteran
Iranian Autoflower = not an Auto. It's an early that will make flowers in correlation with age or darkness.

I had them sown here half May at latitude 65, and they started flowering somewhere near the end of July. > They never finished in time.

A real Auto should start blooming on a 24/0 day light regime and not be influenced by decreasing day lenght.

Iranian .... FLOWER! took 2.5 months to start flowering and only after nights became more dark.

I heard story's that Iranian 'auto' flower could go as long as 10 months in veg when exposed to a 24/0 HPS lightening schedule.

I hate that DR Green thumb is still using this misleading name for his strain, because suckers like me got fooled by it, and wasted 245 euro's on his 20 bloody useless seeds here at my latitude. ^^

I don't hate Auto's at all, in fact I love em, I only hate when ppl make up names using the word 'Auto' in it when they are not. > Then sell em for over valued prices that are based on a deceiving name.

The original name for Iranian 'Auto' Flower was Iranian Short season I found later, but I suppose by changing it into 'auto' he now had created a 'miracle product' that was to perfectly live up to it's name at lower latitudes. (And that one nut who's dwelling there high up North, yanno... well, who'd care about him, eheh.)

And indeed, that name was the more appropriate one, because a 'short season' is meant for ppl that have short seasons but are still living at a latitude where darkness prevails.

Here up North, nothing can not beat a true auto.

agito

You cant judge an entire genre on 1 strain and 1 pheno trust me I have had autos where i have had to play spot the resin and others where i did not want to throw away some of the main sun leafs. Also within that i have seen strains been covered and others lacking in the same pack, Stability with seeds is the main issue,

offthehook

Veteran
I can if I buyed 20 seeds for a stunning price of 245 euro's and they all behaved the same. ^^

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can if I buyed 20 seeds for a stunning price of 245 euro's and they all behaved the same. ^^

Which regular 12/12 breeder can you make that claim 100% and how long did it take them in comparison to AF's on how long they have been around to be worked on ?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Offthehook-
"... heard story's that Iranian 'auto' flower could go as long as 10 months in veg when exposed to a 24/0 HPS lightening schedule.

I hate that DR Green thumb is still using this misleading name for his strain, because suckers like me got fooled by it, and wasted 245 euro's on his 20 bloody useless seeds here at my latitude. ^^

I don't hate Auto's at all, in fact I love em, I only hate when ppl make up names using the word 'Auto' in it when they are not. > Then sell em for over valued prices that are based on a deceiving name."

I'm saddened to read you spent that much (hard earned) money on a product that was not TRUE to its name, an autoflower strain.

Always, always research, and find out what others have experienced in regards to your purchases. You were robbed paying that kind of money. Gulp!

But, lessons learned. You NOW know to study, compare before purchases, or ask before you buy.

I've had a some bad luck with a few supposed autos. One, the total strain never came up....and I'm an experienced grower!! Tried in soil, in filtered water, unbleached coffee filters/filtered water, even scratching them with a bit of sand paper...the seeds became moosh, thus tossed ALL of them. The strain is still being sold, but I avoid it. I won't buy again from the vendor. Of course, I emailed and received no response.

Again, more recently (late 2013), bought 2 auto strains from a newer vendor....they both hermied on me. Again, emailed; no response. Got rid of the 2 strains.

So, a basic premise....be an informed consumer....do your research!! Or don't spend much money until you know the strain is a proven winner! Probably even Hybrids from Hell would have suited you much better, being at such a high latitude. I love Esbe's stuff, even though NOT an autoflower, they are quick maturing strains.

I hope your next AUTO grow(s) are more successful, OTH. Life, much like growing, is a learning lesson/experience. Best not to repeat same (unfortunate) experiences. And be grateful when you have a successful grow, knowing you toiled to make it happen!
:dance013:

Hank64

I have grown a load of autos and have the love hate.

I can pull more from autos then most can with clones in the same time. Try 5 1/2 ounces in 77 days from seed. Match that with a photo. average 3 1/2 to a bit over 4.

Autos grow different and you need to treat them so. Period. Learn how to grow them. Again they grow different and should be treated different.

I have a line that is DMTie. Very rushy. I don't like it. Some people really do.

SOG they kick ass.

Barney Farms Pineapple Express Auto is a great plant and consistent. Lots of breeders suck and dont show consistency.
This is one of the biggest issues with autos is consistency. Photo growers think of growing the same set of clones out over and over and over again. They know how to run that flower and what to expect. Again autos are different.

If you want the ponder flowers dont go auto.

Rudies have a good place. Just not for the photo grower that wants to treat them like a photo.

Runt

This year I have AF Cheese and Critical Mass and the Cheese is very dank, the CM is taking more time but looks good. My main complaint is with mold resistense, seems that AF´s catch mold easily and since we´ve had som really rainy weather this year I lost two to root rot!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This year I have AF Cheese and Critical Mass and the Cheese is very dank, the CM is taking more time but looks good. My main complaint is with mold resistense, seems that AF´s catch mold easily and since we´ve had som really rainy weather this year I lost two to root rot!

@ Runt-

I beg to differ with your synopsis saying autos are more prone to root rot. A LOT of it is grower error! I've seen it in several photoperiod grows from those growing random strains.

What causes root rot? Low Oxygen levels or (DO) Desolved Oxigen! Temp's are another reason for root rot. Low temps will lower the DO levels and high temps will cause low DO levels. Keeping temps between 65 to 72 will allow MAX DO levels or max o2 for roots.

Over watering also causes root rot or not having a sanitary flow system, allowing build up of toxins. Root Rot infects parts of the roots, which then spread infecting the whole roots causing death, Root Rot can be caused by to high of temps in hydro as well as over watering. Not enough drainage in your soil can cause Root Rot, even signs of it looking over watered, because the soil holds moisture to long for the roots to dry out. So these 3 things are all connected together.

Really, the main one that causes everything is over watering!! Once you find out you have root rot, depending on how bad the problem is, you can add H202( Hydrogen Peroxide) with your water or hydro setup to kill the bacteria caused from root rot.

If the plant is severely taken over by it, there are only a few things you can do, cut off the roots affected by it depending on if its hair roots or tap roots, add H202, or just chop the plant.

To prevent root rot, adding product's like Thrive Alive B-1, See Weed, Super thrive will help protect your plant's from root rot and will help cure root problems. Generally not as common in soil mediums.

Soil, for numerous reasons, is the only way we grow! Did hydro probably 4-5 x over the years, or modified hempy bucket.

However, soil is far more forgiving, not as much care needed w/ a good soil/soiless mix, can leave it for several days instead of continual monitoring of hydro, DWC, etc.

To each their own.

Latest posts

Latest posts