What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

UVB VS NO UVB Side by Side

Green_science

Heres one a little closer, SO FAR plants with UVB supplementation have a stronger bouquet and have a higher trichome content, I will get pics of the them once they have finished drying to see if a visual difference is stil apparent and note the difference in pungency

After this we will do a smoke test.
Mean time I will try and arrange a GC

picture.php

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=44684&pictureid=1101861

hereigrow

Awesome thread.. so r you trying to replicate the uvb outdoors on indoor crops? Wouldn't it b easier to test the same strain grown indoor and outdoor/greenhouse? Northern cali is said to have a similar climate to the hindu kush mountain...I think your on to something. I liked the bus on the right in the pic better. So which one had the uvb?

rrog

Veteran
Excess UV-b can stunt growth in some plants. This is when they are exposed to UV-b levels higher than they'd find normally. I think there may be a fine line between UV-b benefit and liability.

GS- Any gut comment on UV-b affect on yield? I think it's easy to OD on UV here. JKD got me thinking and while a little seems good, exceeding what is found in nature seems bad. The one main reptile light place has data regarding strength and distance. I should check that out again.

Last edited:
pepe le skunk highlights a good point,, especially with fluorescents the light diminishes exponentially quickly as you move farther from the source,.., but you need at least 1 foot from the arcadia 12% lamps, especially with a reflector. Even at one foot the UV levels are unnaturally high, 18" is a good distance I have found...

they work best as side lighting.....

It's called the inverse square law.
In physics, an inverse-square law is any physical law stating that a specified physical quantity or intensity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source of that physical quantity. In equation form: blah blah. look it up.

Anyway some treats rolled this way and they sure are nice.
I can only tell you it makes a difference. Just the extra light would help especially from the sides. I had them closer to some and further away from other parts because of the way they are hung. Allows for rotation every few days. Also helps with overall light coverage on all parts when you turn them.
Anyone want to venture a guess as to which cluster was recieving UVB enrichment.
I wanted to say the right because they look more tan. My trich's actually took on a reddish color the closer they were. Will say the smoke is over the top, trippy. Smoked up a guy who cuts my lawn with only 4 hits and we were floating. And that was on some 1 week old after cut. It might calm down in a few weeks but wow. We were both baked beyond belief. :)

Up close at 10X in the loope the trichs look like a whole other world.

D

DirkDiggla

Interesting experiment, the latest LED lights now include a small amount of UV as well as small amount of IR.

rrog

Veteran
My panel is 300W of LED. I built for a friend who is adding far red from a Halogen

bothof

You should be able to get those tested for pretty cheap, like $40 per test. I'd be REAL interested to see the tests. As I've said before, If it produces more THC without any other added benefit, it's not for me. I can't wait to see the dry weights and the lab results.

rrog

Veteran
You have unusual requirements. Low THC weed. Shake off some kief and smoke the remaining bud, maybe.

Bongstar420

Ive seen multiple cuts with and with out UVB with different temps, spectrum ratios, and humidities. All UVB displayed noticeably better bouquets. The total amount of THC is a closer call, but glands seemed slightly larger and more extended. Additionally, I have read lots of research showing there are UV receptors that upregulate the production of things like terpenes in other plants. Ive seen cuts that just look more dusted due to the trichrome stalk being white vs clear amber vs milky purplish. I always pontificate that trait is from the "White Family" since the seed parents were said to be related to White Rhino.

What you are seeing in the earlier photograph may be an increase in opacity of the trichrome rather than increase in the amount per square millimeter. If youd rather avoid a laboritory analysis, you could do a few side by side hash batches. Measure the bud, hash it, measure the bud and the hash. Do that multiple times to multiple samples. Make sure to average things and be consistent in the process.

Bump

See what Dr Baines has to say.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUu24MNO2Ho

T8 Lamp Arcadia D3+ 12% lamp and reflector:
10cms. 252uw/cm2
20cms. 124uw/cm2
30cms. 72uw/cm2
40cms. 49uw/cm2

T5 Lamp Arcadia D3+ 12% lamp and reflector:
10cms. 548uw/cm2
20cms. 274uw/cm2
30cms. 169uw/cm2
40cms. 109uw/cm2

These numbers look nice, but how about uw/cm3? T8 has a better footprint, lasts longer, is more efficient and runs cooler. It puts out 100% of it's power vs less than 90% for T5 (at 25°C). Also UV doesn't get through the canopy anyway, no matter how strong it is. What is good for bearded dragons may not be the best for cannabis.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to which cluster was recieving UVB enrichment

(left of course)

View Image

One picture tells more than a thousand words.
How much faster did the UVB cluster mature?

D

Drek

So, is this the most anticlimactic thread in existence? It was just getting good with the anticipation of the smoke test...and then poof...gone.:smokeit:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So, is this the most anticlimactic thread in existence? It was just getting good with the anticipation of the smoke test...and then poof...gone.:smokeit:

Blurry pictures shot against a denim background aren't a good climax? Hehehe

I was stoked when I started reading....... poor thread just rolled over and died.

If you use that much UVB -relatively- the benefits no longer outweigh the harmfull effects.

The 13.4 kJ/m2 number from the research was the total UVB irradiance each day which translates to 3.72W/m2 or 0.46W/m2 for 8 hours.
If we take sunlight as example we need about 0.45% UVB, 8.55% UVA and 91% > 400nm. The ratio needs to be right to mitigate the damaging effects of UVB.
The only way to get close to it, unless we are millionaires, is by using a 2% UVB lamp.

Wether it will increase THC content is highly debatable, but it certainly has a lot of other benefits.

Latest posts

Latest posts