What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Flowering.... trimming fan leaves off....leaving fan leaves on

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
also Jbones, im wondering what those strains are you were showing & telling about?

vein5

I always keep the leaves on but this time i stripped leaves blocking bud sites and guess what.... This was my best harvest yet to speak of. leaves falling off, means your not feeding your girls. You guys think too hard lol. Alot of those big fan leaves were used to grow the plant in veg. Flowers grow their own leaves...

Jbonez

Veteran
excellent pics vaped,you got a greenthumb lol,

and for the record,in vertical growing,i should start defoliating after the stretch is over right?not before?

Doesnt matter vert or horizontal, Id not take any leaves while the plant is elongating during stretch, those leaves are what allows the plant to create the carbs needed to provide energy for the stretch..

Take leaves in Veg PRIMARILY.. This will establish the structure of the plant with more budsites.. Then, after the stretch, any leaves with a stem (meaning the leaves are hanging by a stem, not the ones in the buds) can be removed, allowing light to penetrate the plant.

Great thing is, no matter your style of growing, you can benefit, much like any other training imo.

the gnome

Veteran
give it a go!

give it a go!

a thread from 08

wow I never heard of trimming all the fan leafs. I only heard about triming the bottom. I may have to give it a go on one of my plants.

before
39653SANY0457-thumb.JPG

after :joint:
3965340fl5-thumb.JPG

I think saying genetics play a role is just rhetoric. It has no weight.

This strain requires no leaf removal. Trust me, we are on the same page..

What are your thoughts?

strain/genetics determines which plants would benefit
from a good trim. some need a lot of trim and others do not.
so what determines between these 2 types...

genetics determines it
you just said it, your own words. j :smoke:

Last edited:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
id say wait till your stretch is over, 7 days is kinda quick, id say 10 to 14, maybe more just keep and eye on your plants....

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This goes for indoor growing, outdoor I would leave the plant alone

i had shared this philosophy as that is how my mentor explained it to me.

and ummmmmmmmm....

BULLSHIT

technique works just fine applied outside. Maybe the Maui sun has some magical properties.... errr... it does, bad example
but what im saying is removing the fan leaves that reside at the internodes means more light to travel down and be absorbed by the panels feeding budsights directly. inside or outside. its the same thing.

but just like inside, and as vag states, you have to take your time and not go all crazy with the plucking action. one here one there sometimes you dont take any YOU DONT HAVE TO TAKE LEAF EVERYTIME.
hmmm vag puncher... grows ALOT OF POT. more pot at once than a lot of growers will ever get in a career. he defoliates.... hmmm
:respect: vag.

now, some of you guys may be using scissors to cut your shit off.
think twice.
if you had your arm cleanly sliced off by a sword, well, not only is your arm laying on the ground all useless, but you'd have gaping holes in viens and arteries aka blood loss galore, and thered be a huge amount of exposed tissue for bacteria and other shit that wasnt the sword to kill you

now, if your arm was crushed/pinched/pressed off, like between two doors, thered be a lot less open wound leaking all over the place, and thered be a lot less exposed tissue for bacteria to party on. and, your arm would still be severed. win win. lol

so what im saying is when youre purposely stressing the plant, do it with caution. use your fingernails/tips as to not only severe the leaf from the plant, but also close the wound to keep it from infection.

i mean if youre gonna bang a hooker you wear a rubber, right? LOL
same thing
well,,,, no.
but kind of.

where all the other "science" guys crying foul? they havent approved of anybodys side by side test grows yet LOL. WHERE YOU AT. hug n kisses hahahaha

Last edited:

Jbonez

Veteran
a thread from 08

before
View Image

after :joint:
View Image

strain/genetics determines which plants would benefit
from a good trim. some need a lot of trim and others do not.
so what determines between these 2 types...

genetics determines it
you just said it, your own words. j :smoke:

Thats not the context I was using..

I suppose Im not clear as in what yall are talking about with genetics playing a role.. I dont remember where, and I can dig for it, but Ive heard people saying that some genetics are more receptive to this than others, or some genetics get stressed more than others, which isnt the case.. And true, while that cut I had in bloom was rather sparsely covered, she would still have had the leaves pulled in veg (threw her in early tho so no time, she is a tiny plant) And had I given her more time in veg most certainly would have more budsites, but as I said, she went in with two weeks of veg from clone. Am I making sense?

Im saying strain doesnt matter, its the technique, and all plants benefit, some more than others based on leaf count but the net result is the same, larger yields, but ALL plants benefit. Not sure if that makes sense and I really dont want to start beating a dead horse but I think Im interpreting what you are saying differently..

Kinda like this.. 91chemdawg stretches into a beast without topping or any training really, I typically dont, but is she less receptive? no...

Lets not beat a dead horse, defoliating has proven itself, I just dont think we all agree on an established timeline for how and when to do it.. But let each grower see the effects good and bad, I suppose like I did, I found what works for me..

We need a truly defoliation related thread, but man I always see people fighting about it, kinda stupid really..

dddaver

Veteran
i had shared this philosophy as that is how my mentor explained it to me.

and ummmmmmmmm....

BULLSHIT

technique works just fine applied outside. Maybe the Maui sun has some magical properties.... errr... it does, bad example
but what im saying is removing the fan leaves that reside at the internodes means more light to travel down and be absorbed by the panels feeding budsights directly. inside or outside. its the same thing.

but just like inside, and as vag states, you have to take your time and not go all crazy with the plucking action. one here one there sometimes you dont take any YOU DONT HAVE TO TAKE LEAF EVERYTIME.
hmmm vag puncher... grows ALOT OF POT. more pot at once than a lot of growers will ever get in a career. he defoliates.... hmmm
:respect: vag.

now, some of you guys may be using scissors to cut your shit off.
think twice.
if you had your arm cleanly sliced off by a sword, well, not only is your arm laying on the ground all useless, but you'd have gaping holes in viens and arteries aka blood loss galore, and thered be a huge amount of exposed tissue for bacteria and other shit that wasnt the sword to kill you

now, if your arm was crushed/pinched/pressed off, like between two doors, thered be a lot less open wound leaking all over the place, and thered be a lot less exposed tissue for bacteria to party on. and, your arm would still be severed. win win. lol

so what im saying is when youre purposely stressing the plant, do it with caution. use your fingernails/tips as to not only severe the leaf from the plant, but also close the wound to keep it from infection.

i mean if youre gonna bang a hooker you wear a rubber, right? LOL
same thing
well,,,, no.
but kind of.

where all the other "science" guys crying foul? they havent approved of anybodys side by side test grows yet LOL. WHERE YOU AT. hug n kisses hahahaha

Not trying to be a dick, or even saying the procedure is wrong, only trying to spread a little knowledge. That long-winded analogy is very anthropomorphic. I, for one, take that kind of shit with a grain of salt. IMHO good basic idea and thinking though.

the gnome

Veteran
gnome,when you defoliated those,how far along in flower where they?or was it done in veg?

im in day 7 of 12/12,when should i defoliate?

i defo in veg and bloom, usually i run 6-8 weeks of veg and defo a couple times, the last is around 2weeks before 12/12
so the plants are stress free going into bloom.

i would not do anything while they are in the 1st 2-1/2---3wks of bloom during flower set
2 weeks if the strain is ready but 20 days is a good point imo
provided it needs it.
I look for what is overly shaded and work from there
I take off enough to open things up and let the light in
to the interior parts of the plant and also what will soon be covering things up.
then around 40-45 days I am constantly trimming a bit here and there, first taking off leaves that aren't loaded with resin.
when i know I will harvest for sure I'll start taking more leaves off if i have the time because its easier to trim the plant for me when its still in the pot

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not trying to be a dick, or even saying the procedure is wrong, only trying to spread a little knowledge. That long-winded analogy is very anthropomorphic. I, for one, take that kind of shit with a grain of salt. IMHO good basic idea and thinking though.

thats a very nice word. thanks for adding to the vocabulary.
physiologically people and plants are very different.

my mentor is a very decorated fighter. when he explained things to me, he explained it in terms he could and i could relate to & understand.... so thats how i share... how I was taught and how I remember.

seems like you got the gist of what I was saying. which was why i posted it.

for those that dont understand the basic premise of what I was talking about with the swords and severed arms LOL.... sorry.
when you cut your leaf off with a blade you are left with x amount of surface space of exposed open tissue.
when you pinch with your fingertips youre closing the wound off from infection.

i like to sprinkle some pepper with my salt.
just don't try to pick the fly shit out of the pepper.

Last edited:

Jbonez

Veteran
thats a very nice word. thanks for adding to the vocabulary.
physiologically people and plants are very different.

my mentor is a very decorated fighter. when he explained things to me, he explained it in terms he could and i could relate to & understand.... so thats how i share... how I was taught and how I remember.

seems like you got the gist of what I was saying. which was why i posted it.

for those that dont understand the basic premise of what I was talking about with the swords and severed arms LOL.... sorry.
when you cut your leaf off with a blade you are left with x amount of surface space of exposed open tissue.
when you pinch with your fingertips youre closing the wound off from infection.

i like to sprinkle some pepper with my salt.
just don't try to pick the fly shit out of the pepper.

I comprehended this, disagreed, battled in my head over cross contamination issues, thought some more, realized CC was negligible at best, and finally arrived at a conclusion.

I agree.

de145

Can this be reliably tested with a scrog and pinching off the fan leaves on only one side or does the whole plant have to be done?

If removing fan leaves during veg causes more bud sites, isn't that just another way of saying that you're stunting a plant so it grows shorter internodes but over a longer period of time to reach desired height?

Jbonez

Veteran
Can this be reliably tested with a scrog and pinching off the fan leaves on only one side or does the whole plant have to be done?

If removing fan leaves during veg causes more bud sites, isn't that just another way of saying that you're stunting a plant so it grows shorter internodes but over a longer period of time to reach desired height?

Kind of, yes... But more budsites and shorter internodes are a bit different I suppose.. Youd need to strip a plant in veg to see the effects for yourself, but I can assure you that you wouldnt be disappointed..

DrFever

Veteran
i am thinking while some growers tend to strip plant down in veg Defoilate ???
which slows growth why not just grow and train a plant crop / fim etc flip to flower and 2 - 3 weeks in or so flip back to veg yes it will slow things down as it goes back into veg but look out when she is in full veg state
anyways its what i have done looking forward to posting pics on what my girls will look like in next couple of weeks :)

Attachments

• dscf4002x.jpg
    dscf4002x.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Latest posts