What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bottomfeeding: no drain, no waste

T

thesloppy

The devil (AKA compliance with the new legal standards in Oregon) made me switch over to 4 DWC buckets earlier this year, rather than the dozens of pots I was bottom-feeding. Some parts I miss, some I don't, but I certainly found it to be a viable way to grow in a low-light (200w) cabinet for 5+ years.

dudin

I don't get why bottom feeding and sog isn't more popular.
You hit high g/w/y.
Cheap lazy + effective. Not always the universe smiles like this in your favour.

GreenNets

Edit: I measure nothing so you are right, we bottom feeders are a lazy/practical bunch. (Cold water from the tap Epsom + organic tomatoe nutes).

Bottomfeeding seem to be something I've been looking for. I'll give it a try!

From your experience, could you tell us more about the nutes. Lets say I'm using 1-2 liter pots. How much and how often should I feed them?

dudin

I use Biobact tomatoe nutes and epsom. I grow mine in 1L (20-25 plants) soil under 150w HID in a wardrobe.
They almost always end up like donkey dicks. Way to go IMHO.

2b4qb9.jpg

Edit: think it's fucked up when they make laws about plant numbers. I believe it's better to limit the w used or the m2.
Limiting the number of plants makes growing less effective and kills the lovely seed chucking scene. No one wants to run plants that turn male or less interested to try new fun crosses. BORING.

T

thesloppy

Yeah, I think you can start feeding from the bottom whenever you want in pots that size, but since you're using soil just be sure not to overwater (dump off whatever the plants haven't sucked up after 3-4 hours so they don't get waterlogged) and let the pots dry out pretty well in between each watering. Over-watering in soil can drown and kill your plants/roots much faster than other mediums, and bottom-feeding probably only makes that easier.

Last edited:

dudin

I fill my tray so they sit in water (2-ish cm) for a day or two no problemo. Important is to really give em the dry cycle.
I have never had a plant (and I've done a couple hundred) with rotting roots in soil + bottom feeding.

HippieLettuce

I've been bottom feeding by hand for a year now and love my results. Doing so in fabric or rootmaker pots really excelerates results IMO.

....to each his own...

Peace,

HippieLettuce ✌🏻

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i was gonna start a new thread but if its ok can i just add to this one. i'll try and keep it relevant. built a homemade table that will sort of ebb and flow. the drain isnt recessed since i made it myself so there may always be a thin film of water in the bottom. the plan is to use a 1/2" of chunky perlite in the bottom of the cups to negate this. it will be a SOG with little to no veg time. just gonna give them 5 days or so to take root into the cups. the clones are mostly rooted now. still have to finish the table but its mostly done.

just took a piece of OSB and cut it a little smaller to fit in the tent and then rimmed it with 2x4s. my measurements were off or i just assumed the tent was a full 4x8. who knows lol. barely fit and there was no fucking way i was gonna tear it apart and take it up and down the stairs again lol. i stretched her culo and jammed it in there :)

did a hole dead center for a bulkhead to flood/drain. the plants will be in cups of tupur which is just a super aerated coco mix made for multiple feeds a day. the plan will be to get these super root bound so that i have to flood every couple hours. no co2, just a fuck-ton of light. did i mention this was a lighting battle for the title shot? left side will be a home made COB rig pushing 666 watts. right side is a DE CMH 3K-R spectrum pushing ~650w

if you dont want me to post it in here just let me know! i have way too many threads going and wont be doing a true journal on this one, just occasional updates.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20171220_112808.jpg
    MVIMG_20171220_112808.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 26
  • MVIMG_20171221_205017.jpg
    MVIMG_20171221_205017.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 28
  • MVIMG_20171219_174834.jpg
    MVIMG_20171219_174834.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 24