What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lucas VS. Advanced Nutrients

kmart

^^^^ So Advanced suggest you flush with their organic line? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Bummer this side by side was never finished...

I am the first person to admit I was blinded by these water salesman. I thought high price and a cool bottle meant good products. I've used Canna, Cyco, Advanced, Lucas, and botanicare.

I'll never look back from Lucas and other simple alternatives like amended organic soils...

Id rather spend 1-200 bucks a cycle than 3-4000.

Don't forget, you need to figure your time is worth at least 20 bucks a hour.... weighing out 7 grams per gal of maxi takes about 10 minutes after its all mixed in... Advanced took me like a hour plus a lot of self motivation to go mix all the shit...

@ 16 weeks thats about $2500 of your time... Advanced nutes all said and done costs you 2 pounds... Are you really outweighing maxi now?

Plus advanced nugs taste like shit. Harsh as shit everytime no matter how long you flush and what you flush with. Please don't argue this, cause if I put an organic nug next to your advanced nug and you say yours tastes better than you're just an ignorant moron brainwashed by water salesman...

Keep. It. Simple. Stoners(stupid) :)

DeoXy

anyone know the shelf life on advanced nutrients? I have gallons of both their sensi grow and bloom A/B's that were given to me brand new never opened ..they have been sitting on a shelf for a few years now.. I have had them sitting around for backup in case I'm ever broke and need nutrients for a grow lol

cr0n

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just started using AN after sitting in my room for about a year. Four weeks in and they are looking great. Try it on one plant maybe.

I personally have better results with AN in peat and better results with Lucas in Coco.

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^^ So Advanced suggest you flush with their organic line? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Bummer this side by side was never finished...

I am the first person to admit I was blinded by these water salesman. I thought high price and a cool bottle meant good products. I've used Canna, Cyco, Advanced, Lucas, and botanicare.

I'll never look back from Lucas and other simple alternatives like amended organic soils...

Id rather spend 1-200 bucks a cycle than 3-4000.

Don't forget, you need to figure your time is worth at least 20 bucks a hour.... weighing out 7 grams per gal of maxi takes about 10 minutes after its all mixed in... Advanced took me like a hour plus a lot of self motivation to go mix all the shit...

@ 16 weeks thats about $2500 of your time... Advanced nutes all said and done costs you 2 pounds... Are you really outweighing maxi now?

Plus advanced nugs taste like shit. Harsh as shit everytime no matter how long you flush and what you flush with. Please don't argue this, cause if I put an organic nug next to your advanced nug and you say yours tastes better than you're just an ignorant moron brainwashed by water salesman...

Keep. It. Simple. Stoners(stupid) :)

I'm just curious your saying you had bad results with Botanicare?

Now we are talking PBP and LG and Cal Mag right? Just curious for I have used them for over a decade now and would take Jesus himself telling me to change for it to be.

Have A Great Day
Mr Wags

couchlockd

AN now has "LUCAS FORMULA" recipes on the back of their 3 part line.

what a fucking joke

anyone who uses AN know at some point they are or were foolish to deviate from what worked.

most people who "jump on board" with AN and rep it to the fullest, never were really able to get any hyrdo nutes to work. and then here the AN claims and say "thats what i have been missing, my nutes werent for cannabis this whole time, now i have some cannabis nutes and will be a master"

at some point all AN users will see the light. hell i was one of the guilty.

now it is just OCean forrest, some EWC, some azomite, and some peace of mind fruit and flower.

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
Well after reading this thread I call it a no brainer. And no surprise.

couchlockd, who's that guy with the glasses - HE REALLY CRACKS ME UP! :D

TicalionStalion

You guys are cracking me up bashing An.they make a great product. Some of my best gardens were all AN, iv been in this game a good while, am personal friends w an reps who visit my shop, great guy. Lately iv been using alot of organics and less AN...but u ppl bashing an probly never tried it, or used it right. When u realize that a company is all about selling nutrients, some of which are very potent, u cant follow bottles and charts. Use ur heads, and dont knock it till u try it, i used to be on the An bashing wagon untill i tried it thefirst time and had the best results iv had in a decade and pulled 2.5 lbs per 1k in a 2000wd 4x8 hydrohut. Im in the nutrient industry, iv tried almost all of em over the years, when u use AN right its extremely hard to beat. Lately iv been alot more organic, got myself a vortex copost tea brewer andcits honestly the best thing since sliced break, no fucking joke. So now its smart pots, roots organics soil w worm castings and progress earths recharge, water, supercharged compost tea, and a nice shot of AN every few weeks...never sewn results like this. Im sold, AN plus progress earth's products and the vortex brewer compost tea, amazing. Ill post pics here tomorrow of my AN gardens for the naysayers. Peace yall! :)

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Would love to see the photos!

I absolutely love progress earth products and the vortex brewer is the shit.

AN is 100% the opposite of progress earth in my opinion. But I'm still glad you're giving them a shout out.

I hope they get trendy because they are a good company from what I can tell.

TicalionStalion

This is a great post.

I think maybe some of the AN supporters are under the impression that we think AN will not work or is complete shit.

I've grown with AN and it was an excellent batch after I dialed it in. But I have grown better with straight organics and with Lucas depending on the conditions and the strains.

That being said, Most of us who paid the piper and bought the hype were curious.... expecting a significant difference.

I felt Like the emperor in the emperors new clothes trying to see the difference.... Overall, the growers with the strains and talent to win a cannabis competition could use ANY nutrient line out there and make it work.

For the rookie out there who thinks he can buy an excellent grow right out the bottle... and an even bigger badder and better yield with a more expensive bottle.... I think you would be better advised to Keep it simple.

Peace :wave:

I totally agree here. its not a miracle, its just a synthetic/organic nutrient done right. if ur a shit gardener, your gonna have shit crops no matter how much u spent on AN. ...BUT... if your a good gardener, and you give AN some time to get the feel for it, you can pull AMAZING gardens off. but my new boner is totally progress earth's vortex tea.

it was a great feeling to transplant some babies into the 5 gal smart pots and have the MEANEST root zone, just like when I used voodoo, piranha, tarantula, hygrozym together....except all I did was take some straight vortex tea and water, no PH'in, just water away. now my new boner is totally progress earth. All of their products are sourced from THEIR 350 yr. old biodynamic farm. I was sold right away...the brewer is a good chunk of change, but once u buy that (or make ur own) its pennies per gallon to brew their tea, and the recipe is on point! Im gonna eventually play around with it and stray from their 4 part brew recipe and maybe add alittle high phos. guano as a bloom booster? maybe make some worm casting brews? Im a newb in the compost tea/nerdy organics world, but I sure do fuckin love it. over the last year...year.5 Iv really learned alot about soil and plant biology as a whole. I feel like half the ppl growing barely understand the biology of it, they just know if I dump this in, this happens....gotta connect the dots! ;) The only thing tho, is that the tea has been an amazing additive, had I not added worm castings, Id have a nitrogen def. if I didnt hit them once every 2 weeks w quarter strenth Conni.

I feel like If I put my ear to my soil, i would hear the microbes cheering! :D

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Nice! I feel you on progress earth. I brew small 5 gallon batches with their products. There are shops that sell the tea in a bloom version and also in a grow version by adding their own organic or natural fertilizers to the tea.

I would like to buy one.... but damn! They are pricey, I think I'll build one for now.. but someday soon, I'd like to get a bad ass vortex for my farm.

Anyways, I'm still amazed that this failed comparison grow is still sparking interest. I never even ran the comparison grow because I didn't receive notice my thread was approved for weeks.

@b$+r@c+

I think it's funny, yet humble and receptive of GH to create its Flora-Duo line.
I applaud their effort to 'put the icing on the cake' to what many of us have long agreed is the most efficient, versatile and effective nutrient solution.
After (roughly) adding all the NPK values and forms etc., it became very clear that, specifically the 'Expert Drain to Waste' Feeding chart was a failed attempt to slightly alter the Lucas idea, yet gain enough of an edge quality wise, to 'justify' selling 5 seeminglyneccesary supplements. IMO, Lucas w an inexpensive omri listed bloom booster, ClMg, Regeneroot and Drip Clean, produces a large quantity of great quality product at almost half the cost AND half the time, compared to the full Flora-Duo Series.
~PEACE! :)

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Food For Thought

Food For Thought

I think it needs to be said that out beloved weeds will grow just fine with plain ole water.

With that being said the rest is up to you to ensure YOUR grow is dialed.

You can have an unlimited supply of any food you want but if your grow is half ass your plants will be half ass as well.

Bottom line is our girls need US more than they need this fancy food. Yes like I said they grow with plain water but this fancy food makes them grow faster bigger and straight up better IF you find the right way to use it.

What works for one might not work for the other since we are dealing with women.

I thought everyone knew that lol.

Happy Gardens
Mr Wags

In hydro-MAXIBLOOM FOR THE WIN... easy, one part, STABLE as fuck.... only down side is mixing the solution.. but i just put boiling water and the powder in a blender with a bread dough attachment... 15 minutes later whah-lah!

In soil i'll go organic with biobizz... very simple... and shit if you need any proof just check SELF HEMPLOYED's journal... NUFF SAID

for me simplicity is the key... i've worked with AN and it was just a pain in the ass for me, i get better results with maxi or biobizz

not trying to "hate" so save the sensitivity for your shrink.. just telling my experience, why does it always seem like the AN guys get so defensive... i wouldn't mind trying out their PH perfect line tho...

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Used Connoisseur (at the lowest rate - and then 75% of that - on the Feeding schedules) and the other AN additives at 50% recommended dose - except for Carbo Load, poured the full 4ml/g. Omitted the Tarantula and Pirhanna formulas.. As the Promix HP had Mycorhizzae.. Compared it with Lucas Formula + Botanicare Sweet (at 50-75%) - in Promix.. Did this test 3 years ago, with a nice group of Master Kush Cuts and GDPs ..

No question, the AN buds were juicier and beefier. Came out excellent. That GDP was some of my favorite smoke ever.

decrimCA

Used Connoisseur (at the lowest rate - and then 75% of that - on the Feeding schedules) and the other AN additives at 50% recommended dose - except for Carbo Load, poured the full 4ml/g. Omitted the Tarantula and Pirhanna formulas.. As the Promix HP had Mycorhizzae.. Compared it with Lucas Formula + Botanicare Sweet (at 50-75%) - in Promix.. Did this test 3 years ago, with a nice group of Master Kush Cuts and GDPs ..

No question, the AN buds were juicier and beefier. Came out excellent. That GDP was some of my favorite smoke ever.

WOW. That is a freakin amazing AN grow schedule. Never used this setup before, but I am definitely thinking about it now.

:thank you:

stasis

Veteran
I am by no means a Shill for AN. It is costly, with the line containing some redundancy.
For some reason I purchased the large sized A and B Connoisseur bottles on sale for 65usd each, on an impulse.
Then, got tired of seeing them age on the shelf. Near the 8th month, I figured it might spoil. Went out and purchased most of the line.

I did the side-by-side comparison. Had been on the GH train for a couple years... Was using Lucas Method GH - in an Ebb and Grow next to them in their Pro-mix, so I diluted the Hydro water to 50% to compensate for a peat medium, which should not get the ppms that pure hydro should.

The AN fed Flowers were just better. Not easier to feed, but better.
Richer, fuller flavours, nice colours on the GDP, and bigger buds all around. Matured a touch faster as well..

AN has 4 or 5 grow regimens, low to high. I used the lowest one, and not even all of that. I DID use Bud Blood, for that first week of Flowering. Water lightly in the pro-mix, but don;t let ;em wilt, and you will be surprised by the quality. Tons of crystals.

I would use this system again, but am outdoors now using very lightly the end of my Botanicare PBP, in organic soil.

Last edited:

Homebrewer

Veteran
I use these DIY flood and drain tables and tested Connoisseur in one of them about 1 year ago. It wrecked my plants. H&G, DynaGro, and Gen hydro all did fantastic at 1.0 EC, AN's Connoisseur was just plain awful in hydro.

AN: Overly expensive...
Firm Name ADVANCED NUTRIENTS
License ID # 13073
Product Name CONNOISSEUR PART A 4-0-4
Type of Fertilizing Material Specialty Fertilizer
Is this an Organic Input Material (OIM)? No
Registration ID# 167671
Status Data/Revisions Required
Guaranteed Analysis(%)
Primary Nutrient
Total Nitrogen (N) 4
Available Phosphoric Acid (P2O5)
Soluble Potash (K2O) 4

Secondary Nutrient
Calcium (Ca) 3.2
Magnesium (Mg)
Sulfur (S)
Guaranteed Analysis(%)
Micro Nutrient
Boron (B) 0.06
Chlorine (Cl)
Cobalt (Co)
Copper (Cu)
Iron (Fe) 0.14
Manganese (Mn)
Molybdenum (Mo) 1.25
Sodium (Na)
Zinc (Zn)
Heavy Metals (ppm)
Analysis
Arsenic (As)
Cadmium (Cd)
Cobalt (Co)
Copper (Cu) 50.65
Lead (Pb)
Mercury (Hg)
Molybdenum (Mo)
Nickel (Ni) 0.49
Selenium (Se)

Firm Name ADVANCED NUTRIENTS
License ID # 13073
Product Name CONNOISSEUR PART B 1-5-6
Registration ID# 167697
Status Re-Submit
Guaranteed Analysis(%)
Primary Nutrient
Total Nitrogen (N) 1
Available Phosphoric Acid (P2O5) 5
Soluble Potash (K2O) 6

Secondary Nutrient
Calcium (Ca)
Magnesium (Mg) 0.81
Sulfur (S)
Guaranteed Analysis(%)
Micro Nutrient
Boron (B)
Chlorine (Cl)
Cobalt (Co)
Copper (Cu)
Iron (Fe)
Manganese (Mn)
Molybdenum (Mo)
Sodium (Na)
Zinc (Zn)
Heavy Metals (ppm)
Analysis
Arsenic (As)
Cadmium (Cd)
Cobalt (Co)
Copper (Cu) 8.58
Lead (Pb)
Mercury (Hg)
Molybdenum (Mo)
Nickel (Ni) 2.03
Selenium (Se)

General Hydro Maxi Bloom: Cheap....

Firm Name GENERAL HYDROPONICS INC
License ID # 13419
Product Name GENERAL HYDROPONICS MAXIBLOOM 5-15-14 (5% Ca, 3.5% Mg, 4% S, 0.1% Fe)
Registration ID# 18715
Status Data/Revisions Required
Guaranteed Analysis(%)
Primary Nutrient
Total Nitrogen (N) 5
Available Phosphoric Acid (P2O5) 15
Soluble Potash (K2O) 14

Secondary Nutrient
Calcium (Ca) 5
Magnesium (Mg) 3.5
Sulfur (S) 4
Guaranteed Analysis(%)
Micro Nutrient
Boron (B)
Chlorine (Cl)
Cobalt (Co)
Copper (Cu)
Iron (Fe) 0.1
Manganese (Mn)
Molybdenum (Mo) 11.2
Sodium (Na)
Zinc (Zn)
Heavy Metals (ppm)
Analysis
Arsenic (As)
Cadmium (Cd)
Cobalt (Co) 5
Copper (Cu)
Lead (Pb) 1.9
Mercury (Hg) 0.12
Molybdenum (Mo)
Nickel (Ni) 3.9
Selenium (Se) 12.7

Do the math...

stasis

Veteran
I use these DIY flood and drain tables and tested Connoisseur in one of them about 1 year ago. It wrecked my plants. H&G, DynaGro, and Gen hydro all did fantastic at 1.0 EC, AN's Connoisseur was just plain awful in hydro.

Could you be more specific. How did Connoisseur ruin your plants..?

What were the manifestations of the Ruination.? Did you run the Connoisseur at their recommended full strength..? That will kill 'em. Gotta work your way UP with nutes at the onset of use.

The very lowest Feed chart is the right one for Connoisseur.

Truth is, all these compounds contain what is necessary to grow plants.. Why did Connoisseur NOT work, when all the rest did..? Could have been one of your additives.

Such a general blanket statement needs backing up. Although I am using Botanicare now, I found Connoisseur to be the best thing my plants ever got. That was in DRAIN to WASTE, but I do not see what a difference that would make.

Latest posts

Latest posts