What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

can thc be absorbed through your skin?

GanjaPharma

saw the title of the thread, and thought you were LOOKING for a way to absorb THC transdermaly. then i read that you are in the terrible position of having drug tests while cultivating ganja. dont worry about the shit on your skin.

now for those of you that DO want to get THC in through your skin for muscle relief or arthritis etc. the only thing i know of that works well is DMSO mixed with hash/hash oil.

TyChe

OKAY. The chemical that allows substances to pass from one origin to another is DMSO. You find it, I just told you what it is. Shouldnt cost to much. sorry just the only way i can explain it. Read before trying.....On your self. Just give it to someone you dont know. And sit back, watch the show.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
All the trimmers in my room have a finger bowl. Dip the fingers in the bowl (and the scissors) and trim away. Keep dipping the fingers before they get sticky. This makes the trimming go SO much easier, nothing sticks to the fingers, nothing sticks to the scissors.
Grab a bud with thumb and forefinger, pull it away from the stem, trim the inside leaf, release the bud and it all goes back in place, no clumps on the finger and thumb.
Slide the scissor tips in along the bud to the center, clip the leaf and slide back out with all the budhairs undisturbed.
A few hours of this and the hands are still smooth, scissors are only mildly tacky and the finger bowl is body temp and very brown. Mostly tricombs and a few tiny hairs, the big stuff doesn't stick enough when wet.

Keeping the hands wet repels the oils completely, I suspect just having the surface of the hands dry would not be enough to allow oil through the wet capillary layer to where fats might be found. Never got me high.

Granger2

Veteran
I don't know about about trimming raw marijuana. I watched a video with this lady in her 60's and a younger guy making cannabis butter, and cannabis olive oil. They were cooking it down. She said it was very important to wear gloves or you will get higher than you ever wanted to be. That's with cooked [decarboxilated] cannabis. -granger

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Got high while trimming, got high while playing with bubblehash (pressing by hand), and by rubbing bho on my hands too. And I also got high by ingesting non decarboxylated green material.. so my experiences were different than yours. :2cents:

I hand press my bubble hash every crop and i have never got high from it ,are you sure it wasn't the joint that you were smoking while pressing it that got you high:laughing:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
If that's a fking placebo, then it's so real I could swear on it. I am really convinced I get some effect from raw material, especially when ingested. I get mad high when I put some leaves in my smoothies. It's not even same high as when smoking, it's more on the chill and calm side, with lightheadness and a milder cerebral high than smoking. It's about the same effect I get from cannabis tea, but stronger. When I put it on my skin the area heats up, or feels like that.. it even tingles when it's concentrated material.
Maybe it's not the thc that does that, but i'm sure some components are active and can render effects/
(sorry for my spelling i''m really high and i can barely see leters on my screen.)

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think placebos work that way. Maybe I'm wrong, but it is amazing how the power of the mind and belief in a treatment or medicine can make a person better even if it is just a sugar pill that they ingested.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2689518/

Human Cannabinoid Pharmacokinetics

2.1.5. Transcutaneous

"Another route of cannabinoid exposure that avoids first-pass metabolism and improves THC bioavailability is topical administration [43]. Cannabinoids are highly hydrophobic, making transport across the aqueous layer of the skin the rate-limiting step in the diffusion process [44][45]. In vitro diffusion studies may underestimate in vivo transdermal flux [43]. After application of a dermal patch, mean steady-state plasma concentration of Δ8-THC was 4.4 ng/ml within 1.4 h, and was maintained for at least 48 h. Permeabilities of CBD and CBN were found to be 10-fold higher than for Δ8-THC. In vivo studies of transdermal drug delivery in guinea pigs noted the presence of significant amounts of plasma metabolites after topical application of THC [46]. Additional research is planned with combinations of cannabinoids in EtOH to increase drug absorption.

Transdermal delivery of cannabinoids is hoped to reduce negative side effects seen with inhalation dosing [47]. Transdermal delivery also bypasses first-pass metabolism of cannabinoids. These properties could improve the utility of transdermal cannabinoid medications. Applying a transdermal patch several hours before chemotherapy, and wearing it for several days, would be a convenient means for treating associated nausea and vomiting. Also, wearing a patch for a week to stimulate appetite could be a good alternative to twice a day oral dosing of dronabinol.

The drug-abuse potential of cannabinoid transdermal patches is expected to be low because of slow delivery of THC to the brain. However, extraction of cannabinoids from the patch for administration by a more-rapid method has not been evaluated. Diversion of fentanyl patches by drug abusers for use in such a manner has been a significant problem."

dank.Frank

Granger2

Veteran
clubh8ter,
You're kidding, right? It was merely a quick clarification for whoever is reading this thread. Lean back, smoke a fatty and relax. Peace. -granger

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seeing how the thread topic is about skin absorption and and not cannabutter...your discussion of such is a bit off topic.

To launch into such a rant after someone attempted to simply clarify the context of their statement...makes you look like a child throwing a temper tantrum.

Knowing how to use google to post a couple links doesn't make you smart - resourceful, perhaps.

The older members here don't thump their chest too often because they understand one thing - that life is a process of continual development, growth and learning. If you spend any amount of time here, you'll become humbled by the amount of knowledge and information that gets shared...not an egomaniac with something to prove...

Which is why it's quiet clear that you are an actual new member - not just someone with a recent account creation date.

Just things to consider. :tiphat:

dank.Frank

Nailed it, Frank.

Clubh8ter, chill out or your not going to last long here. Good luck.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
You understand this is for delta8THC, not THC? Delta-8 is not produced by the plant, it is an analytical artifact. I have no idea how similar or dissimilar their pharmacokinetics are.

Maybe THC can be applied via transdermal patch in certain ways, like with DMSO but resin from a living or fresh plant, even a dry plant will be THCA which is not very psychoactive at all. HPLC/MS, GC/MS, and piss tests all can find THC or THCA if it did get past the skin barrier.
I have harvested Cannabis for days on end, giant 15 foot tall plants dripping with resin that got all over me. I never got high.
That said an employee of mine that worked with me in my greenhouse told me she did feel effects and slept extra good those nights. I, with her permission, piss tested her with the best piss test I could buy, her before during and after harvesting, several different days, no positive results. I suspect it was the high content of terpenes she inhaled during the day.
When I make a lot of dry sift resin does get breathed in a bit, and then a piss test always tested positive. Even though it was THCA that was in the resin.
Any smoker of Cannabis tested positive.
I do not think manicuring will test positive, smoking or eating, yes.
Anyone that says they are high on THC from manicuring need to piss test themselves before and after manicuring and try and get a positive result from the manicuring only, good luck....
Oh, also I know that THC has an active metabolite 11-Hydroxy-THC that is formed by oral ingestion of THC, it is 5-10 times stronger then THC, the metabolite for THCA is 11-Hydroxy-THCA, I do not know if it is psychoactive. Anyone know?
-SamS

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2689518/

Human Cannabinoid Pharmacokinetics

2.1.5. Transcutaneous

"Another route of cannabinoid exposure that avoids first-pass metabolism and improves THC bioavailability is topical administration [43]. Cannabinoids are highly hydrophobic, making transport across the aqueous layer of the skin the rate-limiting step in the diffusion process [44][45]. In vitro diffusion studies may underestimate in vivo transdermal flux [43]. After application of a dermal patch, mean steady-state plasma concentration of Δ8-THC was 4.4 ng/ml within 1.4 h, and was maintained for at least 48 h. Permeabilities of CBD and CBN were found to be 10-fold higher than for Δ8-THC. In vivo studies of transdermal drug delivery in guinea pigs noted the presence of significant amounts of plasma metabolites after topical application of THC [46]. Additional research is planned with combinations of cannabinoids in EtOH to increase drug absorption.

Transdermal delivery of cannabinoids is hoped to reduce negative side effects seen with inhalation dosing [47]. Transdermal delivery also bypasses first-pass metabolism of cannabinoids. These properties could improve the utility of transdermal cannabinoid medications. Applying a transdermal patch several hours before chemotherapy, and wearing it for several days, would be a convenient means for treating associated nausea and vomiting. Also, wearing a patch for a week to stimulate appetite could be a good alternative to twice a day oral dosing of dronabinol.

The drug-abuse potential of cannabinoid transdermal patches is expected to be low because of slow delivery of THC to the brain. However, extraction of cannabinoids from the patch for administration by a more-rapid method has not been evaluated. Diversion of fentanyl patches by drug abusers for use in such a manner has been a significant problem."

dank.Frank

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Wow,
You get a solid buzz by smelling the plants?
Can you please list the references of the well documented psychological effects on the human mind/body from Cannabis terpenes? Does that include intoxication? Or just mood alterations?
For more then a decade I have bred for terpenes, worked with terpenes, as well as being the first to tell everyone on IC that terpenes do modify THC and other Cannabinoids, but terpenes alone without THC have never gotten me even a weak buzz,,,,
I like their smells, a lot, some of them, but they do not get me high, really.
What happens to you if you smoke a few or more bowls of dry sift or bubble hash? I hope it is a lot more then a solid Buzz? Or why even smoke Cannabis? Just walk around smelling the terpenes....
Really cheap, and legal. Unless people start charging you to smell their plants....
-SamS

You also can get a solid buzz from just inhaling the raw aromatic oils from the plant by way of rupturing trichomes & there are well documented psychological effects on the human mind/body from airborne plant oils and even more likely from Cannabis terpenes :canabis:

Anyone with any experience in Aromatherapy will be the first to confirm this :good:

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great insight, Sam. Thanks for sharing.

I just wanted to make clear that cannabinoids, in a general sense, could be absorbed through the skin. In regards to delta-9 and the psychoactive components, I have always been under the impression it was not possible, without being given some sort of alteration (decarboxylation) or being mixed into a medium that more readily is absorbed by the skin, such as oils or salves, etc...

I am aware of one transdermal product on the market, but have not tried it so I can't speak to it's efficacy.

http://www.marysmedicinals.com/our-products

"Mary's flagship product is the transdermal patch. Born out of the commitment for accurate dosing and the application of pharmaceutical grade deliver methods within the cannabis industry, Marys created the safest, most effective way to consume cannabis to date - transdermally. Our patches are 2x2 squares, easy to use, and adhere simply to any part of the skin. Offered in packs of three we currently have six formulations of patches with ongoing research and development for many more to come. As the anchor to our regime, our patches are the primary source of relief with our other products used as an accompaniment. We currently offer THCa, THC Indica, THC Sativa, THC Hybrid, CBD, & CBN."

----

On a side note, I have used decarboxylated, infused coconut oil on several different occasions as a topical rub to alleviate pain from nerve damage. While I found it very effective in localized pain reduction I can't say I ever noticed a specific "high" from it. But - that could simply be due to a higher tolerance created from smoking or that the amount of THC entering the blood / brain barrier was negligible. I'd compare it to using icy hot or a similar menthol type rub - except the relief last for up to 6 hours, not just 45 minutes.

dank.Frank

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
No problem,
I know or have met hundreds of people that use Cannabis topically, India ayurvedic as well as Jamaica and else where, but no one said they got high from using it.
-SamS

Great insight, Sam. Thanks for sharing.

I just wanted to make clear that cannabinoids, in a general sense, could be absorbed through the skin. In regards to delta-9 and the psychoactive components, I have always been under the impression it was not possible, without being given some sort of alteration (decarboxylation) or being mixed into a medium that more readily is absorbed by the skin, such as oils or salves, etc...

I am aware of one transdermal product on the market, but have not tried it so I can't speak to it's efficacy.

http://www.marysmedicinals.com/our-products

"Mary's flagship product is the transdermal patch. Born out of the commitment for accurate dosing and the application of pharmaceutical grade deliver methods within the cannabis industry, Marys created the safest, most effective way to consume cannabis to date - transdermally. Our patches are 2x2 squares, easy to use, and adhere simply to any part of the skin. Offered in packs of three we currently have six formulations of patches with ongoing research and development for many more to come. As the anchor to our regime, our patches are the primary source of relief with our other products used as an accompaniment. We currently offer THCa, THC Indica, THC Sativa, THC Hybrid, CBD, & CBN."

----

On a side note, I have used decarboxylated, infused coconut oil on several different occasions as a topical rub to alleviate pain from nerve damage. While I found it very effective in localized pain reduction I can't say I ever noticed a specific "high" from it. But - that could simply be due to a higher tolerance created from smoking or that the amount of THC entering the blood / brain barrier was negligible. I'd compare it to using icy hot or a similar menthol type rub - except the relief last for up to 6 hours, not just 45 minutes.

dank.Frank

Classic Seeds

Veteran
DMSO works to transport it through your skin I have used it to soak leafs in to rub on my arthritis and it works don'y know about mineral oil or glysorin but DMSO does deliver the anti swelling and pain killing affect of cannibus don't know if enough of it would get you high or would affect a drug test

since I used it only for relief of symtoms in my knees and anckels and wrists and used shade leafs and not buds .I learned about the leafs benefits from a old Mexican women some would call her a witch or brouha but she wrapped my knees and feet in a paste she ground of leafs and lime juice and 1/2 hour later my pain and swelling was gone .aloha cls

indocult

You understand this is for delta8THC, not THC? Delta-8 is not produced by the plant, it is an analytical artifact. I have no idea how similar or dissimilar their pharmacokinetics are.

Maybe THC can be applied via transdermal patch in certain ways, like with DMSO but resin from a living or fresh plant, even a dry plant will be THCA which is not very psychoactive at all. HPLC/MS, GC/MS, and piss tests all can find THC or THCA if it did get past the skin barrier.
I have harvested Cannabis for days on end, giant 15 foot tall plants dripping with resin that got all over me. I never got high.
That said an employee of mine that worked with me in my greenhouse told me she did feel effects and slept extra good those nights. I, with her permission, piss tested her with the best piss test I could buy, her before during and after harvesting, several different days, no positive results. I suspect it was the high content of terpenes she inhaled during the day.
When I make a lot of dry sift resin does get breathed in a bit, and then a piss test always tested positive. Even though it was THCA that was in the resin.
Any smoker of Cannabis tested positive.
I do not think manicuring will test positive, smoking or eating, yes.
Anyone that says they are high on THC from manicuring need to piss test themselves before and after manicuring and try and get a positive result from the manicuring only, good luck....
Oh, also I know that THC has an active metabolite 11-Hydroxy-THC that is formed by oral ingestion of THC, it is 5-10 times stronger then THC, the metabolite for THCA is 11-Hydroxy-THCA, I do not know if it is psychoactive. Anyone know?
-SamS
sorry to quote this huge block of text but thank you so much man.
I just cleaned my bho extraction tube with alcohol because I'm about to drive with it and I want it clean. I got all that residue alcohol on my hands and they were really sticky. I have a UA in 3 days for felony probation and I thought I just royally fucked myself.
thanks for giving me peace of mind

blotter

While I hate to bump this thread from the depths, the information Sam posted is some of the most pertinent I've found after a good bit of digging on whether the psychoactive properties of raw cannabis can be absorbed through the skin. I have some blood in a lab due to a shithead in a legal state who I'm sure would have bet his badge that I was high or recently high; I wasn't and hadn't been for about five days. But I had trimmed some in the previous couple of days and as recently as five hours before my blood draw. I had been sweating it pretty good, but I'm thinking I'm in the clear. The threshold for psychoactive thc is 5 nanograms in CO but a lawyer I spoke with has seen them prosecute for as little as three ngs. I will bump this thread again should I have an amount in this range, but according to everything I've come across handling raw cannabis shouldn't have an effect on this number as it needs to be heated.