What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bugs in soil please help id

Laskar

I've just checked again with the microscope compared with the pics on the site and they look like the sminthurinus aureus as Agentpothead suggested. Same colors, same shape and darker than the bourletiella arvalis. I think that might be it!

buzzmobile

Veteran
Thanks again for your help. . . yes they do jump when disturbed, hope that's a good sign! They're mostly on the soil and can see some on the side of the pots when I water the plants.

They're actually launching themselves with a spring loaded appendage that locks into place under the abdomen. When a springtail is disturbed or threatened the appendage is released and the springtail "jumps". They come in many shapes, sizes, and colors.

Springtails

Latest posts

Latest posts