What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Microbial insecticides?

ballplayer 2

I am battling thrips and thinking of ordering some insecticides. I would like to stay away from the nuclear options and battle as safely as possible.

I am looking at ordering 2 insecticides to rotate with azasol and possibly an occasional azatrol spray. The options I am looking into are Grandevo, Venerate xc, PFR97, or liquid Met52.

I am battling thrips and would like to use these options as a preventative against mites (especially broad, cyclamen, hemp russet). If you have any experience or knowledge of the effectiveness of each product please tell me what worked or didn't work for you.

Thank you for your time and help.

ballplayer 2

ballplayer 2

Does Spinosad also help with battling mites? Pretty sure I have microscopic mites, based on stunted, curled apical tip growth.

Was thinking of rotating pfr97, met 52 liquid, grandevo, venerate xc, and azasol/azatrol.

Do you find conserve SC works better than the more lightly formulated widely available versions of Spinosad.

Thanks for your time and help.

ballplayer 2

Granger, thank you for the reply. I have tried og biowar both inside and outside on my veggie garden. I was not impressed by the results I achieved with it. I am looking for suggestions regarding other commercially available insecticides.

ballplayer 2

Granger2

Veteran
How were you using it, and was it fresh? But Spinosad is all you need. Do a soil drench, and a foliar spray.

ballplayer 2

The ogbiowar was fresh, I began using it from the day I received it. I was drenching my soil with foliar, nute, and root. I was using foliar as a leaf spray from a pressurized pump sprayer. I achieved moderate control of leaf aphids, not very much control of whitefly, didn't really check for mites outside.

VortexPower420

Veteran
Just remember with alot of these bioloicals you need to keep the humidity up for 24 hours of the spores will not germinate

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I am battling thrips and thinking of ordering some insecticides. I would like to stay away from the nuclear options and battle as safely as possible.

I am looking at ordering 2 insecticides to rotate with azasol and possibly an occasional azatrol spray. The options I am looking into are Grandevo, Venerate xc, PFR97, or liquid Met52.

I am battling thrips and would like to use these options as a preventative against mites (especially broad, cyclamen, hemp russet). If you have any experience or knowledge of the effectiveness of each product please tell me what worked or didn't work for you.

ballplayer 2
If you want to keep it completely organic:

- worm tea
- strong smelling herbs to distract insects from setting up in the first place

Personally if I would have to knock back a particularly large concentration of bugs, I would use:

Neem oil + liquid (Castile) soap + pyrethrum

The neem oil suffocates them and acts as an anti-feedant (their stomachs fill up with bubblegum and they stop eating); the soap dissolves the bodies; the pyrethrum paralyses them.

Pyrethrum is organically derived - Chrysanthemums - and breaks down in a week. It is officially allowed in organic agriculture. Other than not getting it on you, a single application just before flowering shouldn't harm your health or anyone who smokes your product.

Last edited:
Does Spinosad also help with battling mites? Pretty sure I have microscopic mites, based on stunted, curled apical tip growth.

Was thinking of rotating pfr97, met 52 liquid, grandevo, venerate xc, and azasol/azatrol.

Do you find conserve SC works better than the more lightly formulated widely available versions of Spinosad.

Thanks for your time and help.

I've done battle recently with broad mites and have scoured every possible related info about and I mean everything. I even dug up a usda report somehow from 1933 cant even remember how i found it lol. Conserve SC is supposed to be the type of spinosad you'd need for micro mites it's expensive but it's the one people say works for micro mites.

Monterey or similar nukes thirps like Mikell said and the Conserve SC should take out the mites from what I've read. I killed off my infestation by shutting the room down and starving them to death. After 2 months or dormancy I put some African violets(their favorite food) and it's shown no evidence of mite activity so I'm pretty sure they are all dead. Micro mites need a living host and don't go into diapause like the bigger spider mites do so they can be starved to death. Broads, russets and cyclamens have different lifespans broads only live up to 2wks but cyclamens and russets can live for 4-6wks. If you want to starve them and don't know which one you got go with at least 2mo. I'm pretty sure I had broads and still opted for 2mo to be safe.

Good luck man thirps are farts in the wind compared to micro mites

eric2028

Veteran
I would 100 percent id broad mites before you worry about treating them. Most insecticides will not eliminate them. As far thrips Monterrey garden spray/ spinosad works great as everyone has already said. Good luck!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I would stay away from azatrol/aza-sol and other aza based insecticides for anything but long term mum plants. I'd give them at least a month or two without aza before taking clones, and no larger cuts than 6". That stuff is nasty with cannabis, be warned.

I would 100 percent id broad mites before you worry about treating them. Most insecticides will not eliminate them. As far thrips Monterrey garden spray/ spinosad works great as everyone has already said. Good luck!

This is likely true even some reports on predator mites only say they have a 50-70% at best control rate. They can be starved to death though so if you're indoors that's probably the best way to be rid of them for sure. Or course that doesn't mean they can't get back in but you can starve them out if you currently have a infestation and then do your best with ipm to prevent them getting back in.

Latest posts

Latest posts