What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MY FLYTRAP HOBBY!

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
So probably my all time favorite plant would be the Venus Flytrap. I've been growing them on and off for many years now. This one is currently my favorite out of the few that I care for...

Last edited:
R

Rubber Chicken

They are nice plants, could it help eat pests in a grow tent?
Maybe multiple of them?
I used to have a pot of them about 20 years ago but can't remember what happened to them.

JustSumTomatoes

They are nice plants, could it help eat pests in a grow tent?
Maybe multiple of them?
I used to have a pot of them about 20 years ago but can't remember what happened to them.

Flytraps are vulnerable to many small pests like aphids, spider mites, thrips, leaf hoppers and scale. They do a number on flys, spiders, centipedes and moths though. I would say African sundews would be a better option for a grow tent as they grow quick from seed, multiply rapidly and can be grown year round in a warm climate without needing a winter dormancy like vft's. They also clean up the small pests like fungus gnats fairly well.

JustSumTomatoes

Wish I had a picture but last year the gnats got pretty bad so I placed the sundews near the affected plants and they were completely covered in them! Took care of the problem in about a week.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I changed the title a bit for you Tomatoes, from 'flaytrap' to 'flytrap'....looks like you made a typo there..

Nice thread all the same. I enjoy carnivorous plants too.

JustSumTomatoes

This one probably gets the biggest traps. I love it when the inside of them turns blood red.

Last edited:

Leocadius

Veteran
Hello, JustSumTomatoes
Nice thread, thank you, it's nice to find people who like carnivorous plants. My favorite is Drosera Capensis, I really like its flowering, it's easy to reproduce
V4FPS3j.jpg

JauWMJb.jpg

VBFuOBw.jpg

Regard

JustSumTomatoes

Hello, JustSumTomatoes
Nice thread, thank you, it's nice to find people who like carnivorous plants. My favorite is Drosera Capensis, I really like its flowering, it's easy to reproduced

Awesome! Cape sundews multiply like crazy and really do number on small insects. Thanks for sharing!

JustSumTomatoes

Here are some of my North American pitcher plants... The one with the all white pitchers is a a variety that is now extinct in the wild as a result of habitat loss.

Last edited:
B

Bongi

I tried to cultivate multiple types of carnivorous plants while back but my seeds did not germinate.

I will try them again. Thanks for tip about African sundew for grow tent. Any tips on growing them?

JustSumTomatoes

I tried to cultivate multiple types of carnivorous plants while back but my seeds did not germinate.

I will try them again. Thanks for tip about African sundew for grow tent. Any tips on growing them?

Sundews are one of the easiest carnivorous plants to grow, especially under grow lights or in a sunny windowsill. Grow them in a mix of sphagnum peat and perlite. It is very important to NEVER give them any fertilizer or nutrients because it is toxic to them. They will get all that from the bugs they catch and are adapted to living in nutrient poor soil and will even thrive with no bugs at all. Also it is important to only water them with distilled or RO water as the salts, minerals and/or chlorine in tap or well water is also harmful to them. If growing from seed just sprinkle them on top of the medium and keep moist at all times. Same with adult plants, sundews actually like being very damp at all times and do well standing in a tray full of water.

I highly recommend a Cape sundew (Drosera capensis). A single plant will quickly grow as well as flower and produce seed which will drop on its own and make even more plants! They also come in a few color variations.

A tip on buying them: avoid ebay. Those Chinese vendors specialize on selling dud seeds or seeds that are total bullshit altogether. Go through a reputable nursery for seeds or an adult plant. California Carnivores and Predatory Plants have a history of good service to name a few.

Happy growing!

JustSumTomatoes

One of my venus flytraps from this season... Was a great growing year for them! It's really cool to see them start out looking totally dead at the beginning of the year and explode by the end! Lots of dead flies in this one. :good:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
The crap did I click on that picture right before I went to bed. So many tiny mouths. Oh well. Nightmare fuel.