What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My Coco Quest: Coco Hempy 4x4

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no problem !!! just trying to help you get the best outa these seedlings dude ! if you have any questions .... just ask , i'm more than willing to help anyway i can . :tiphat:

justiceman

Veteran
Right on! I do have one thing I've been wondering about since you pointed out that straight R/O isn't good during the feed cycle.
During the last 1-2 weeks I'm assuming straight R/O is a not ideal for the flush. Would it be safe to assume a weak nute solution
of maybe .2-.4EC would be the way to go?

Last edited:

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah it would . but no higher than .3 , especially with V&B nutes ! its a 1 part & has alot of N in the mix & you don't want that while flushing .
i use a 55 gallon barrel as a rez , & when it gets down to the last gallon or so i refill it with RO water & just check the PH . all the nutes do in the last 2 weeks is act as a buffer to keep the PH in range . & really once the plants have depleted the nutes in the coco , they start feeding off themselves & the fans go yellow & start dying off ....... then the PH isn't needed anymore & plain RO water is fine . theres no nutrients for the plant to uptake anymore so the PH doesn't matter .

justiceman

Veteran
That's some good info. Most of my grows have been organic so I wasn't quite clear on the flush for hydro.
Good thing I asked as I originally thought I would just start giving pure R/O right off the bat and that would
have been a mistake hahahaha. Makes a lot of sense that the pH doesn't matter after all the nutes are used
up in the coco but only after they are ACTUALLY used up. You're the man!

Last edited:

justiceman

Veteran
Today I gave everyone a light feed slightly over .5EC(280ppm) with pH at 5.9. Wanted to throw up some
lights off pics since they always look better. Flash is a little bright unfortunately

DeadHead OG
picture.php

Pure Afghan
picture.php

Deep Purple
picture.php

Last edited:

justiceman

Veteran
Got some unexpected guests that came in today hahaha. Gorilla Glue #4 cuts. I heard it was pretty
good so I thought I'd give them a shot. Put em in some coco at .5EC with veg+bloom ph5.9 for the transplant.
picture.php

The Deadhead OG and Pure Afghan's are doing well. Might as well throw some pics of them while I'm here.
picture.php

Interesting. 3 out of 4 Pure Afghan's are showing an odd growth pattern compared to normal seedling
growth. Notice how the shoots aren't symmetrical. It seems to produce one big fan a new shoot and then
a little fan with it later on. Never seen this before.
picture.php

picture.php

3 out of 4 Deep Purple's are coming along nicely. The weird 4th one is poking its first true leaves out the
side because the cotyledons are shaped oddly and won't open. It will be interesting to see how it progresses.
Forgot to get it in the picture. I'll post one up next update.
picture.php

Last edited:

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got some unexpected guests that came in today hahaha. Gorilla Glue #4 cuts. I heard it was pretty
good so I thought I'd give them a shot. Put em in some coco at .5EC with veg+bloom ph5.9 for the transplant.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70467&pictureid=1686358View Image

The Deadhead OG and Pure Afghan's are doing well. Might as well throw some pics of them while I'm here.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70467&pictureid=1686360View Image

Interesting. 3 out of 4 Pure Afghan's are showing an odd growth pattern compared to normal seedling
growth. Notice how the shoots aren't symmetrical. It seems to produce one big fan a new shoot and then
a little fan with it later on. Never seen this before.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70467&pictureid=1686357View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70467&pictureid=1686361View Image

3 out of 4 Deep Purple's are coming along nicely. The weird 4th one is poking its first true leaves out the
side because the cotyledons are shaped oddly and won't open. It will be interesting to see how it progresses.
Forgot to get it in the picture. I'll post one up next update.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70467&pictureid=1686359View Image

its probably the strong dose of nutes they got , it will grow out of it unless its a genetic trait . dunno much about afghans . but i do know my GG4 ! your going to love her !!! :tiphat:

justiceman

Veteran
Alright I went through the journal and redid all my pictures so they show up in a better resolution:woohoo:

While I'm on I'll drop this little pic of the DeadHead OG. Sure hope she turns out to be female.
picture.php

justiceman

Veteran
Yo whats up! Happy Holidaze! Alright been feeding the girls 380ppm(almost .8EC) of veg+bloom ro/soft. Nothing else and they are doing well. The Gorilla Glues are throwin down roots in the coco not long after transplant. I see them popping out at the bottom of all the cups.

Some of the plants are drinking almost daily at this point. Especially this deadhead OG.
picture.php

The deep purple seedlings have been getting diluted nute solution at 150ppm(.3EC). Seems that is still a bit much so I'm gonna take it down to 100ppm(.2EC) but they are doing well.

Here's a fam shot. Nice and green.
picture.php

I will say these Pure Afghans from DNA are truly peculiar.

This one has a cluster of tops that are struggling to dominate hahaha.
picture.php

This one is my favorites of the Pure Afghans. It literally split itself like a natural topping technique and has two main tops.
picture.php

picture.php

dansbuds

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking great dude ! you should be good to go from here on out ! :tiphat:

justiceman

Veteran
Looking good man. Lots of happy little leaves.
Right on buddy. I'm happy things are finally gaining momentum!

Looking great dude ! you should be good to go from here on out ! :tiphat:
Thanks! Right on for helping me iron out a few kinks with the young ones and veg+bloom. I haven't flowered with these nutes yet but so far it's proving to be VERY SOLID. Even easier to use than the good old GH h3ad 6/9 recipe. Guess I'm not surprised considering all the sweet pictures I've seen with great looking flowers.

I just ordered up some SHINE and +LIFE to try out a couple days ago. They seem promising. I like the application rate of +LIFE. It seems to be quite affordable compared to great white, and other powdered inoculants. SHINE as a PK booster seems pretty affordable as well. Really digging hydroponic research right now. Good stuff and I'm glad I decided to give it a shot instead of h3ad's recipe this time around.

justiceman

Veteran
Gonna transplant my deep purple seedlings into 16oz solo's tomorrow. I love this little shot glass solo root system!
picture.php

justiceman

Veteran
is that just coco in a shot glass?

Yup sure is. Just 100% coco in a shot glass solo cup with a hole in the bottom for drainage. Same plastic as the bigger 16oz red solo cups but this one is just a shot glass size.

Here's the bigger 16oz solo cup root pic I took today for comparison.
picture.php

justiceman

Veteran
I just noticed that only the gorilla glue clones I brought in have started to develop PM and I got them almost 2 weeks ago. I quickly wiped the leaf with a wet paper towel to get rid of the spores for now. Considering my environment and the health of my other seedlings I believe these clones were already infected when I got them.

I think I'm going to toss them out because fighting PM is a terrible battle. Upon further inspection the leaf that had PM was also shiny as if it had been previously sprayed with a surfactant. Most likely an attempt to get the clones to look healthy until a couple weeks after the gardener receives them. If you look closely the leaf I'm talking about is on the bottom left gorilla glue. From the bottom up it's the first fan leaf on the right. Notice the shine?
picture.php

Fortunately my other babies are doing well and have resisted the outside infection from what I can tell so far.
picture.php

This deadhead OG has thrown a preflower out. It's a girl!
picture.php

GastroGrower

Toss the GG clones. It's painful but not worth keeping in the same environment. It's almost certain to spread to your other plants, even if you manage to keep spore production down. What's your air movement like in there?

justiceman

Veteran
Yup I already tossed them yesterday. Glad to know some others were thinking the same thing. I've tried to fight the battle before. Not worth it.

Thing is my air movement is fine or at least I believe it is. All that's running at the moment is my 2' x 4' nursery with a 6" clip fan for air circulation. Then I have a 6" inline on low exhausting the entire room to keep it from being stagnant. Temps are ranging about 67-73F which is a little cool but not terrible. Humidity ranges from about 47-52.

What I find interesting is my seedlings have been in this environment longer than those clones were and have yet to show any signs. I would have assumed they would show symptoms first if my environment wasn't good enough. Stronger genetics? Based off that I'm pretty sure the GG4's came infected already as new additions to the garden showing new disease symptoms is a red flag.

GastroGrower

Yeah definitely sounds like it wasn't in your garden prior to introducing the clones. As long as your circulation is good the rest of your stock should be ok!

justiceman

Veteran
Yeah definitely sounds like it wasn't in your garden prior to introducing the clones. As long as your circulation is good the rest of your stock should be ok!
Indeed. So far things are still looking good!

Alright! I was planning to transplant these little feminized Deep Purple seedlings some days ago but I got lazy. No worries they have gone to their new homes today. Gave them .5EC(250ppm) at 5.8 pH and they are good to go.

Here are the root balls out of solo shot glass cups
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Here's a full seedling shot
picture.php

I did end up throwing the pm infected GG4's out. I don't want to deal with the hassle. Definitely happy I started all these seeds as they are guaranteed to be disease free.

I did take cuts off the tops though for my solo shot glass coco cloning experiment for fun before I tossed the main plants a couple days ago. So far they are looking good. I'm interested to see how localized PM is. Will it show up on these cuts which were taken from the very tops or are they free of infection because it's the newest growth? We shall see.
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts