What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autumn grow

aliceklar

Johaars, end of week 13

Johaars, end of week 13

Pretty much ready... these guys will get chopped soon.

picture.php

View image in gallery

aliceklar

Medical Mass x White Rhino F1s - week 5

Medical Mass x White Rhino F1s - week 5

Have not had time to do many updates recently, and have a backlog of photos to process. Here are some of the Medical Mass x White Rhino F1s at the start of their 5th week in flower (photos taken around 10th Jan, plants went into flower on 12th Dec). MMWR#1 is showing great leaf frosting, even at this early stage.

zif

Veteran
I like the comparison of seeded and unseeded tops.

How’d those Johaars turn out?

aliceklar

I like the comparison of seeded and unseeded tops.

How’d those Johaars turn out?

Yeah, it was your comments on my last batch that made me think about comparing... There is a difference! Seeded buds "messier" and less compact.

Johaars produced quite a bit of bud. Still curing, but here's how they smell:

• J10 lemony with a slight fruit undertone. Hay.
  • J11 Intense sweet lemon candy.
  • J8 Lemon sherbert. Dusty books. similar to J10
  • J2 Mostly hay. Disappointing. Mild lemon undertones.
Was thinking about trying a cob cure on them next time - they are v puffy buds.

aliceklar

Seeds 2

Seeds 2

Chuffed to get a female with those final seeds, to go with the male I'd been keeping in veg all year! buddah was a nice smoke as well as a good producer. Have kept a clone but nice to have so many seed to play with, too. And that was just from one seeded bud.

picture.php
picture.php

zif

Veteran
Hah! Nice. =)

Dusty book is an interesting note. In a good way?

Cobbing it would be interesting. I’m occasionally tempted to try to make a brick, out of nostalgia. :joint:

Yeah, it was your comments on my last batch that made me think about comparing... There is a difference! Seeded buds "messier" and less compact.

Johaars produced quite a bit of bud. Still curing, but here's how they smell:

• J10 lemony with a slight fruit undertone. Hay.
  • J11 Intense sweet lemon candy.
  • J8 Lemon sherbert. Dusty books. similar to J10
  • J2 Mostly hay. Disappointing. Mild lemon undertones.
Was thinking about trying a cob cure on them next time - they are v puffy buds.

aliceklar

Hah! Nice. =)

Dusty book is an interesting note. In a good way?

Yes... not easy to describe, but its a kind of leathery richness that reminds me of a very old, very posh library. Pleasantly surprised at how much variation there is in these plants - one mother, one father, both from the same initial TRSC seed batch - and significant differences in the terps. Plenty to select from :smoke:

In other news, all is budding well, but I'm getting some distinctive leaf necrosis - curling up, drying, and crisping, with brown patches. Not sure what to make of it. Thought initially it was overwatering, but have significantly reduced the frequency over the past couple of weeks, and the plants are not waterlogged. AFG1, Sherbet Queen, and the MMxWR crosses are all affected, so it is not weird quirk of one strain. All in 3 or 5 litre pots this time, so I'm confused as to what is causing this. Looks like they will still all produce, as they are into their 7th week of flower and the buds are solid, but still, I wish I knew what the issue was. Still just using ph-balanced tap water, or rain water.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

zif

Veteran
Wow - that’s sounds great. Looking forward to seeing where that selection process takes these in your hands!

Older leaves getting crispy patches and a curl always makes me think low P. With the stippling and young leaf crisping, there could be more going on. How rich is the base mix?

Did the potting up at the new year noticeably improve their happiness, or not make much difference?

aliceklar

Wow - that’s sounds great. Looking forward to seeing where that selection process takes these in your hands!

Older leaves getting crispy patches and a curl always makes me think low P. With the stippling and young leaf crisping, there could be more going on. How rich is the base mix?

Did the potting up at the new year noticeably improve their happiness, or not make much difference?
Thanks zif!

Stippling is only with the Sherbet Queen - and shes had that all over since she was a seedling - I think its a genetic thing. But yeah, its not just the older leaves that are affected by drying/curling/crisping. Re the compost, it incorporated a lot of recycled soil from last grow, plus some fresh compost from the same batch as previously, with a little extra blood fish & bone - but it didnt seem like a particularly hot mix. Am tempted to just let it go and see what happens rather than risk adding fertiliser at this late stage (some of them will be ready to chop in the next 2-3 weeks). They did initially all seem very happy to be repotted into the bigger pots (from 1 litre to either 3 for the SQ, or 5 litres for the others)

zif

Veteran
That potting up perked them up suggests they just exhausted the available food. I'd probably let them coast, too.

It's always a nail-biter watching that crispiness creep towards the flowers!

aliceklar

That potting up perked them up suggests they just exhausted the available food. I'd probably let them coast, too.

It's always a nail-biter watching that crispiness creep towards the flowers!

Yeah... getting to that stage now. I gave a little dilute maxicrop seaweed extract, but it has minimal NPK. Also gave them all a very generous watering a couple of days ago over about an hour, using rainwater and a little food grade citric acid (1 tsp to a gallon), until there was noticeable runoff (normally I only give them the water they need, judged by the feel of the pots and soil, so dont have runoff). Hypothesis is too much accumulated calcium and salts in the recycled compost - and that a flush with mildly acidic water that contains no calcium might help. Trickier to observe the impact with plants in these larger pots - no rapid changes noticeable.

Nearly done with this batch now. A few weeks more I reckon. Then will be taking a break until the end of the summer when the temps are low enough that waste heat from the growroom helps to warm the house, rather than causing a problem.

Starting to think about what next... so many options. the Johaar x Nitro Lemon Haze #8 are calling to me, and it would be grand to grow out a decent batch of F2s - 16 or so seed should guarantee both males and females. Following the happy lemon candy with this one. Also am itching to grow out the TRSC Nanda Devi & Malawi Gold. And at the other end of the spectrum I've got three fems from RQS: Green Gelato, Sour Diesel, and Shogun (Amnesia Haze x GG). But then there are the PBxBB F2s , the MMxWR F2s... and the autos. Dang. I am not allowed to buy any more seeds ever.

aliceklar

Wrapping up

Wrapping up

Very nearly there. Chillies are now starting to take over the growroom...

picture.php

The Medical Mass x White Rhinos are so nearly done, but trics still look clear. Sherbet Queen likewise frosting up but not done yet - and she has a couple fewer weeks in flower than the others due to her late start. Of the MMRs, #1 is frosty as hell (incl right down to the end of the larger sugar leaves, and some fan leaves) and smells amazing... hard to describe, but there is a kind of floral hashy funky perfume about her that is intoxicating. #6 is much less frosty - trics concentrated on the actual buds, and much fainter smell from stem rubs (although still of the same general quality).

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Looking at my seed stash, I am simultaneously delighted at the 30+ different seed lines I have saved from the grow these last few months, and sad that I will never be able to grow them all out in this lifetime. Sigh....

Finally, I've made some Blueberry cuttings and am going to use these as graft hosts to back up my clone mothers.

picture.php

aliceklar

I thought I'd got rid of them...

I thought I'd got rid of them...

Just had to compost 4 of my mums. Dance World, Buddah, Bagseed Gelato, Highland Thai. We will remember you. Thanks for the good smokes. Your seed will live on.

I'd grafted a scion of Highland Thai and one of Bagseed Gelato to a Blueberry4 cutting over the weekend - so this is sink or swim time kids. Not sure if they have taken or not...

aliceklar

Last of the flowering plants are in jars now, slightly sad to see the end of them. Still, growroom needs cleaning and needs a break before I grow anything else. Still battling spidermites - reckon they came in via some donated houseplants (never again - any new plants go through quarantine!). Lots of houseplants being ditched right now...

Am giving my lungs a rest and just taking edibles for now, so cant do proper smoke reports on the new varieties, but can report on effects. Of the two different Medical Mass x White Rhino F1 phenos:

MMWR#1 came on strong with some euphoria. Playing a board game w housemate (also partaking of the same) and we were both on our A-game - Nice cerebral effect. Great weed for seeing patterns and exploring ideas. 2.5 hours in and still going strong. More physical effects starting to come through as I remembered to relax. then after a while settling happily in my body, I was up and wanting to get up and do stuff. I heard my garden calling me... 6 hours in, I was still buzzing. Energetic day cleaning and tidying, chatting with friends online, cooking. Starting to mellow to gentle physical warmth.

MMWR#6 in an edible produced powerful clarity, altertness, and a little tingling in the fingertips, but no "high". Mellowed to include physical relaxation (desire to stretch & get horizontal) but not sleepiness. Effect lasted several hours - again good sustain. Fairly gentle, pleasant, effect. Note to self not to take in the evenings as will prevent sleep. Guessing this one is higher CBD.

#1 had been slightly earlier, bigger, and much more resinous (inc on sugar leaves). #6 slightly slower growing, more compact, and with less resin (v little on sugar leaves) but v attractive tightly packed flower buds. #6 also produced smaller seeds. #1 has stronger smell: sweet / herbal / spicy v attractive. #6 milder smell - peppery. Both were attractive healthy plants and I think I will grow out F2 seed from both lines.

Sherbet Queen as an edible was wicked strong. Muddied the effect a bit with a couple of glasses of wine, but a wild high - bordering on anxiety at times. Gave me a banging headache after a few hours, even though I'd drunk plenty of water. Need to try again without alcohol. Of the seeds I tried to make with this, the hermi bagseed gelato pollen didnt take - must have been sterile - but I got 2 seeds from the Afghan pollen.

Buddah (MSNL) was a joy. Nice sweet & sour terps, as advertised. Very sociable, chatty, "up" high, tends to make me go off on mad tangents and prone to fits of giggles or sudden flashes of insight. Lasts for a good 3 or 4 hours with a fairly gentle comedown. Pretty strong - can easily overdo it as it is such a tasty smoke.

"Thai Stick" (MSNL) Wont be growing this one again. This plant was very strong, with an intense cerebral effect, but accompanied by disorientation and headaches. Every time I smoke this it gives me a headache, and leaves me feeling rough the next morning.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts