What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Autumn grow

aliceklar

Removing the boys

Removing the boys

Thanks Mars!

Removed the following males from the flower space last night:

Johaar #2 F1s
01, 03, 05, 14
Note that 05 has nice compact branching form and good vigour, also that 14 is super early - it was in the second batch of seeds and so had 10 fewer days of vegging than 1-5.

• PBxBB3
  • NLH3
  • JNLH3
ALL of the Dance World x Johaar F1s. With 5 plants, the odds of no females statistically was c 3%, so I was unlucky here. Am actually not too gutted by this as my primary goal was to backcross to Danceworld. It seems that the boys were all very down with this goal! I also have more seed from the cross if I want to try to find some females. DWJ03 and DWJ04 had noticable terps when I bent the stems - both smelt just like Dance World with that spicy/ginger/incense thing I suspect is from the Sour Diesel in the DW ancestry. Will be growing out a Sour Diesel next grow to compare.

Everything left in flower has a bit more room to breathe now. Phew. I've also moved the male Buddah into flower, as well as a Ragnar cutting and the Northern Lights Auto (it will probably benefit from a bit more light intensity, more than light duration).

[EDIT] JNLH1 & Johaar 09 also showed male.

Have been experimenting on the removed male plants with an N-bend supercropping technique I saw VerdantGreen using. Two 180 degree bends, carefully made at the same time just before watering (otherwise stems might snap), effectively reduce the height of the plant without removing the growing tip. Looks brutal, but it should keep the height in check without diverting too much of the plant's energy into regrowing pruned material.

So this leaves the following in the flower space (hopefully all female apart from the Buddah male):

Johaar: 2,8,10,11,12 (5/10)
NLH: 2,4 (2/3)
JxNLH: 2,4,8,9 (4/6)
PBxBB: 1,2,4 (3/4)
Buddah (large healthy female in a 2 litre pot, plus a clone of the male in a small pot)
Dance World
Blueberry#4
Ragnar (cutting in a small pot - not sexed yet, but showing mature alternate leaf formation, so it shouldnt be long)
Northern Light Auto (one of the seed leaves looked like it was going mouldy - removed it and am keeping a close eye)

Last edited:

aliceklar

Set up a little LED floodlight to cheer the boys up in their exile. Tiny thing. Surprisingly bright. 22w, cheap as chips, 5000k cool white, 1800 lumens, enough to keep them alive and bring them to flower, I reckon. Set it on 12/12. Would be interesting to see what you could actually achieve with a few little lights like this. Another experiment, maybe...

And back in the flower space the first recognisable buds on several of the females are emerging. Always a sight to gladden the heart. All 3 PBxBB are flowering. The Northern Light auto still looks shonky. Quite irregular, warped leaves. Not thriving. The rejuvenated Dance World and Blueberry clone mums have scrubbed up nicely. Both putting on multiple buds. Pretty.

aliceklar

NL Auto - note the deformed leaves. Not looking great so far, but lets give it time.

Purple Bud x Blueberry F1 #1

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Those lights you are using are kicking ass for less than a month veg. Super job aliceklar, looking forward to seeing your flowers in a few weeks. Thanks for sharing.

aliceklar

Those lights you are using are kicking ass for less than a month veg. Super job aliceklar, looking forward to seeing your flowers in a few weeks. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Creeperpark :) Veg was under 2 x 50w Fecida COB LEDs, flower is under 2 x 100w Spiderfarmer SF1000 QBs. Am a fan of the Spiderfarmers - you get a lot of bang for your buck, and the build quality seems solid, with Samsung diodes and a Meanwell driver.

aliceklar

The boys

The boys

here's the setup now for (most of) the males:

Took some notes today whilst watering them.

PBxBB: Good flower formation, little scent.

DWJ1: Stout plant, little scent. CULLED
DWJ2: Nice ginger/spice scent.
DWJ3: Sturdy plant, vigorous flowers, strong ginger/fuel smell (like DW)
DWJ4: Solid plant, sticky & stinky. Vaguely like old plasticine and farts. CULLED
DWJ5: Attractive plant, faint smell of plasticine and ginger. Sticky.

Johaar2 01: Very tall. Well developed early flowers. Mild lemony scent. CULLED
Johaar2 03: Very tall. Decent flower cola forming. Little scent - mild fresh smell, almost lavender. CULLED

Johaar2 05: Stout. Early. Lots of flowers. Little scent.
Johaar2 14: Vigorous and fast growing but not huge. Bit sticky, bit stinky - mild plasticine funk.

JNLH1: Tall. Hardly any scent, maybe little woody pine, hay. CULLED
JNLH3: Vigorous, tall, still stretching. Lemony.

Will be tricky working out which males to use for seed. I've just culled a few that were clearly not what I was looking for, which puts the remaining ones more squarely under the light. Might take leaf clippings, dry them and smoke to see if I can compare, cf [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]the bonsai sultan method.[/FONT]

Last edited:

aliceklar

3rd week of flowering

3rd week of flowering

A few photos of the grow. Everything now in flower, some only just. Ragnar is female, and one of the NLH I thought was male I just realised is not... All the males apart from the Buddah have been moved out now.

Buddah turning into a really handsome plant, and responding well to training. Chuffed that I got a female with this last seed - have taken a cutting.

Last edited:

aliceklar

Interesting to see the difference between flowering out the old clone mums, which have been vegged for months, with seeds started at the end of September. The older plants are much more compact, bushy, with multiple flower heads - the newer plants (which I left untopped) are single stem with generally very little branching.

Johaar x NLH #2 ..........................Johaar 10

The JNLH2 has had some serious training - stem harshly N-bent, and then a couple of supercrops on the growing tip since. It doesnt seem to mind!

Compare to these two old clone mums:

Blueberry ................. Dance World

Last edited:

aliceklar

Johaars, end of 3rd week flowering

Johaars, end of 3rd week flowering

Happy with how fast these are developing, and interested to see if any can improve the crazy long flowering time of the mother. Combination of small pots/shorter veg/no topping/intense lighting & minimal N seem to be having the desired effect. Planning to reveg so I can keep the best 1 or 2 as clone mums, as well as progressing with seed.

Glad I popped the second batch of seeds - only got one female from the first 7. Range of forms and sizes here - some not looking great due to being rootbound and some harsh stem training, but they will serve. All putting on buds nicely. Will pollinate all 5 with the 3 males I have left (I culled the two tallest males).

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking good in there, hope the N bends work out for you... slightly nerve-wracking technique to perform, but it keeps the top cola intact and avoids the plant taking up more space after training.
VG :tiphat:

aliceklar

Looking good in there, hope the N bends work out for you... slightly nerve-wracking technique to perform, but it keeps the top cola intact and avoids the plant taking up more space after training.
VG :tiphat:

Thanks VG. :tiphat:

It does feel like vandalism to start with, but I've tried your technique on a few now and it has done the business - as you say you can be brutal with them... and they are incredibly resilient. It just didnt occur to me that you could tie following a super-cropping type pinch and bend, or that you could do two such bends at the same time. Its a great way of keeping an even canopy height without pruning! I tried it on some of the males first but have used it now on most of the female Johaars and Johaar crosses.

aliceklar

Well grown - looks really good :woohoo:

P :smoke:

Thanks Paddi - thats kind! Its going well so far... lets see how it ends. With the plants in such small pots its going to get increasingly difficult keeping them healthy. Good to have a challenge tho ;)

aliceklar

Week 4 flowering

Week 4 flowering

picture.php

Lots going on now - with flowers ripening nicely. Some leaf yellowing in the Blueberry#4 (which I was surprised at, as it was repotted into a relatively larger pot a week or two before going into flower) and the Purple Bud x Blueberry F1s, but maybe thats just their way - I remember both BB and PB showing strong yellow and purple leaf colours as their flowers matured last time - just seems a bit early. Maybe the smaller pots and 11/13 light cycle are ripening them faster this time.

All the pollinations seem to have taken nicely (with no noticeable collateral damage from my inexpert chucking). Johaar ripening fast, but I remember last time that they just kept putting on more and more bud. Such pretty buds! Willing to trade yield for earliness but the clean happy high has to stay.

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
View Image

Lots going on now - with flowers ripening nicely. Some leaf yellowing in the Blueberry#4 (which I was surprised at, as it was repotted into a relatively larger pot a week or two before going into flower) and the Purple Bud x Blueberry F1s, but maybe thats just their way - I remember both BB and PB showing strong yellow and purple leaf colours as their flowers matured last time - just seems a bit early. Maybe the smaller pots and 11/13 light cycle are ripening them faster this time.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=84418&pictureid=2087685&thumb=1]View Image[/URL] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=84418&pictureid=2087684&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

All the pollinations seem to have taken nicely (with no noticeable collateral damage from my inexpert chucking). Johaar ripening fast, but I remember last time that they just kept putting on more and more bud. Such pretty buds! Willing to trade yield for earliness but the clean happy high has to stay.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82446&pictureid=2087680&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]

seems the leaves are curving. Maybe lack of water?

aliceklar

seems the leaves are curving. Maybe lack of water?

I dont think thats what's going on Mars. Some of the Johaar (and some of the F1s made with Johaar as the mother) have this trait - I dont think its due to lack of water. If anything, I've kept the pots too wet and havent allowed enough drying out time...

And here we are at the start of week 5 flowering:

The only pollination still to do is the Northern Light Auto, and I've saved some pollen (cut with flour) in an airtight container in the fridge. The rest of the boys have been composted. The NL Auto threw a couple of male flowers, so maybe not the best specimen for a breeding project, but I'm taking this as a trial run and will see what happens. It should be ready to be pollinated in about a week. I have more auto seed that I will use in the next run - the AK47 auto has my eye...

The Purple Bud x Blueberry F1s are going great guns - rather pale green, but with some lovely red colours showing, buds swelling and piling on the trichromes. Reckon another 3-4 weeks tops and they will be done. I've given them a little additional supplemental feed (dilute maxicrop seaweed and liquid tomato food with a little extra phosphorus) but after that they will be on plain water till they are chopped.

Ragnar developed a few male flowers - bad boy - so I've exiled him from the grow room. Hopefully I got to them in time...

Last edited:

aliceklar

The Borg :(

The Borg :(

God damn. Was just congratulating myself on getting rid of all the fungus gnats when I noticed some white speckles on the Dance World clone mum in the veg area. And then noticed that there were also some white speckles on a couple of plants that were next to it. Grabbed my usb microscope and sure enough, there were spider mites under the leaves.

Pulled out the entire tray, put all the plants in the bath, and sprayed thoroughly under all the leaves with a synthetic pyrethrin contact insecticide (deltamethrin). Washed down the tray and cleaned the space. I dont like using non organic pesticides, but these are all small cuttings or clone mums, not plants in flower, so I reckon this will be ok. It says it can be used on peppers or tomatoes until 3 days before harvest, so should be safe to use on a cutting that wont be put into flower for at least another month.

Looks like I caught this early, and no sign of it in the flower area yet, but I'm worried now. I remember someone brought a sick houseplant in to work the other day for me to look at (they know I'm a keen gardener... although they dont know about the weed, obvs!) - it was crawling with mites. I binned it pretty much straight away, washed up, and changed my clothes as soon as I got home, but some of the buggers must have followed me somehow... gross.

Will sterlise the whole veg space tomorrow and repeat the spraying in 3 days, and then again after a week. Considering longer term keeping my veg/clone space in an entirely different room to prevent any cross infection. I cant see any trace of them having spread to the flower area, but will stay vigilant.