What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Unclefishstick Goes To Mars!

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
actually i'm going to flip them to 12/12 tomorrow...the sunsets are going to outgrow everything else...plus i want to take the panel down and make sure the lights are turned all the way up...

MedFaced

happy holiday - when u return maybe u can explain your '3' year warr in detail - await your response

You’re quite familiar with the details of their warranty as you lament about it relentlessly. Your question likely revolves around the “why” instead of “what.”

I’ve discussed this in detail with them so I will share what I was told with you.

They’re located in China. Their target audience is primarily US and Euro home growers. In order to compete with “house companies” they focused on offering the same parts popularly used—Samsung, Cree, etc.—at cheaper prices. Their niche is selling the same for less. So even though a US company has production done in China, they generally service their warranties in the home country. Mars doesn’t have facilities in the US or Europe. So they either have to contract someone for repairs or have the item shipped back and forth internationally. They don’t have the sales volume to do this profitably. So their options are to raise the price of their products to extend the warranty, or stay with the limited warranty using known brand parts. They feel if they raised the price enough to cover a better warranty, they would no longer be competitive with US/Euro companies. They do offer free instructions for problem solving/repair if one is handy...and memory serves me

I have never dealt with the rep on this website, but the one I did speak with came off as very honest, attentive and helpful. I got the sense that if anything was obviously faulty, I’d be taken care of. I don’t currently own any of Mars products but they’re always a consideration when I go shopping.

Hope this clears things up for those that wondered about it. :tiphat:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
You’re quite familiar with the details of their warranty as you lament about it relentlessly. :tiphat:

maybe in southern calif asking a 'question' without getting an answer is 'lamenting' - to my mind a '3' year warr means just that... something goes wrong with a unit , it gets fixed - i understand the shipping part - but when u have to pay in addition to the shipping ,cost of part and a service fee (or whatever they call it) after 12 months... in my neck of the woods, that aint a '3yr warr'..

ofcourse i have no doubt that they are 'honest'....:tiphat:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
maybe in southern calif asking a 'question' without getting an answer is 'lamenting' - to my mind a '3' year warr means just that... something goes wrong with a unit , it gets fixed - i understand the shipping part - but when u have to pay in addition to the shipping ,cost of part and a service fee (or whatever they call it) after 12 months... in my neck of the woods, that aint a '3yr warr'..

ofcourse i have no doubt that they are 'honest'....:tiphat:

does this have anything to do with my thread?

Americangrower

Veteran
Hey Unc….Thanks for your time , and hey.....not a bad gig for a free light huh .....thread for light.....win , win for all parties involved.....Hope the unit pulls a good Harvey for yas…..now.....totally agree on the silliness of side by sides since they really don`t prove anything with just 1 run since all new setups have learning curves and take time ta dial right ?…..plus.....

450 watts in a 5 x 5 tent is only 18 watts per sq ft , although Mars Hydro claims @ 12" above canopy , covering a 4 x 4 flowering area , it has the equivalent wattage of 800 watts of HID lighting , and that `s the equivalent of 50 watts per sq ft that`s always been the optimim sweet spot for dense hard nugs with the highest quality I ever ran IME....so....time will tell....hope she puts out for yas…..and then....

You`ve got a 4 x 8 area with 1200 watts @ 37.5 watts per with your HLG`s , but yet the 1000 watter in a 4 x 4 tent with 62.5 watts per sq ft that I`m sure is hard ta cool , so there`s a lotta variables involved just from different environmental factors alone , much less the different light sources from diodes to HPS bulbs ....

I do like the idea of being able to mount the Mars Hydro meanwell drivers outside the grow area during the dead of summer , but how much heat does it really put out compared to HID lighting....aight…..nuff outta my old ass this day.....Good luck Unc and thanks again for true documentation on advertised units on all your threads…..take care and....

Peace....DHF....:ying: …..

Well some side by side grows can be helpful. Like brother Issack's thread of 4 x 1000w vs 4 x 630 cmh. Same clone, same feed, to me it was a must read thread.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=352859

Hope you don't mind me dropping the ic link Unc.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
two weeks under 18/6...i think it's time to flip these babies! i mean who wants to look at a bunch of veg pics? time to make some buds...
weekly updates during flower,the pics will get to be better quality once we hit week 5 or so...
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
heck,i'm looking forward to this run too...now that i have a decent benchmark of performance for the hlg leds it will be interesting to see how it stacks up...i guess in the end gpw will be the easiest basis of comparison since the systems vary so widely in wattage...

bucketswithsoil

support your local surfboard builder...
Well some side by side grows can be helpful. Like brother Issack's thread of 4 x 1000w vs 4 x 630 cmh. Same clone, same feed, to me it was a must read thread.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=352859

Hope you don't mind me dropping the ic link Unc.

Is it my dumbass from FLA......
Or is that link not working?????....
(Prolly just me....).... :biggrin:

Ruby_Abu

two weeks under 18/6...i think it's time to flip these babies! i mean who wants to look at a bunch of veg pics? time to make some buds...
weekly updates during flower,the pics will get to be better quality once we hit week 5 or so...
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Image
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Image[/FONT]

Seems like they are locking of watering? downhearted. The light is TSW-2000, right?

mr.brunch

Veteran
420giveaway
Looking forward to the flowers mate, the 1000 made some nice buds and gave a surprisingly high gpw (for me anyway!)
All the best :tiphat:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They do look to be over watered in those two pic’s...

Maybe they were just watered before the pictures were taken...
learning curve...this lamp doesn't create quite the same level of water/nute demand as the hlg panels or a 1000w hps plus we had a little "cold" snap...or rather a couple of cool nights in a row so they have been staying much wetter than i'm used to...and i'm trying to keep them on the same watering schedule as the rest of the garden...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
finally got around to buying and installing an oscillating fan,conveniently the light came packed with a piece of wood perfect for mounting the fan to...
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT]

and did some leg shaving on the ladies,probably a bit more as we get into flower,after a couple weeks there should be very little left under the trellis...and hopefully the canopy will continue to fill out during that time...

picture.php

[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]