What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zamaldelica x Kali China feminized

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome to ICMag and our room here @terroirist :) Glad to see you growing Zamaldelica x Kali China, your support is much appreciated. What other ACE strains did you grow in previous years, and what did you enjoy the most ?

terroirist

Welcome to the forum, @terroirist ! Will be following your grow. I find it interesting to see how it will do in a more alkaline soil, like your limestone based soil. I have been to some beautiful parts of France at your lat, lots of wonderful areas. Curious how that strain will finish there.
You may want to edit or remove the picture with the car where the license plate could be identified.
Hi common sense,

Thanks for the support, the sun is stronger year after year, even at our latitude, so it should be fine to finish her I think ;).
I did remove that picture indeed, good point... It s not a thread about cars indeed :)

I ll

terroirist

Welcome to ICMag and our room here @terroirist :) Glad to see you growing Zamaldelica x Kali China, your support is much appreciated. What other ACE strains did you grow in previous years, and what did you enjoy the most ?
Hi Dubi,

I have grown Panama, Morocco, Lebanese and CBD1, all outdoor, organic.

I had great plants, good yields and good results with all of them really ! So thanks Dubi for the great work behind them.
They indeed come out as described on the site.
The Panama was a favorite, I and everybody around me enjoyed it...

So we ll see with that Z x KC, it could well become my new favourite ;)

Dubi, do you see a specific pheno so far ?

Cheers.

terroirist

Hi guys,

I could take the pH today. It seems to be aroud 6,5. It would navigate mostly between 6.5 and 7 when I moved the device, at another spot between 6.5 and 6 so I d say it s btw 6,3-6.7.

It s great I think, no pH induced deficiencies to be feared... What do you think ?

Today I topped her at 3 nodes and I plan to do a second topping to aim for 12 tops.

Over the last 2,5 days it did grow strong (4,5 cm / day of vertical growth ), it s a good sign.

I ll be away for 4 days, it s alone now, I cross my fingers.

Attachments

• 20230711_182347.jpg
    20230711_182347.jpg
    1,004.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230711_182705.jpg
    20230711_182705.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 57
  • 20230711_182716.jpg
    20230711_182716.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 56
  • 20230711_181425.jpg
    20230711_181425.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55
  • 20230711_181327.jpg
    20230711_181327.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 20230711_181311.jpg
    20230711_181311.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 57
  • 20230711_182400.jpg
    20230711_182400.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 57
  • 20230711_182331.jpg
    20230711_182331.jpg
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 62

terroirist

Hi,

I was a little surprised by the soil temp at 26 °C, I thought the geotextile cover woukd isolate better + the slope soil...
Is 26°C a problem ? It may reach 30 if the temps rise to 40°C...

MrHamilton

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Hi,

I was a little surprised by the soil temp at 26 °C, I thought the geotextile cover woukd isolate better + the slope soil...
The dark soil cover is just absorbing heat and trapping it in the soil. If it’s an actual seed plant with a taproot it will be fine, plants from clones‘ roots are more shallow generally and could be affected more, but will seek out deeper/cooler conditions on their own so should be ok, “in my opinion”.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Hi,

I used to grow outdoors in air temps that occasionally exceeded 45C (frequently over 35 most days) and everything thrived as long as you kept the water up. Cannabis grows in some of the hottest places on earth.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks a lot for your feedback @terroirist Glad you have enjoyed all the different ACE genetics you have grown ;)

Plant is barely in seedling stage so it's still early to identify the pheno, but so far i can identify growing traits from both lines. Overall look, leaf and columnar structure comes from Kali China, but with thinner leaves and stems from Zamaldelica's sativa influence. Take also in consideration that this complex poly hybrid is quite transgressive for finished product, producing new terpenes and effects not found in the parent lines, and every female can be quite different to each other, but all of them from remarkable to excellent expressions.

Cannabis plants planted in the ground and grown with enough water tolerates very well (also strain dependant) during growing stage high outdoor temps between 30-40ºC, since root system is protected and under more moderate temps in the soil. But root system will suffer a lot when same plants are grown in pots in a terrace with strong sun exposure under such temps, especially when the sun hits the pot many hours during mid day, the roots get sick and upper part of the plant reflects that.

terroirist

The dark soil cover is just absorbing heat and trapping it in the soil. If it’s an actual seed plant with a taproot it will be fine, plants from clones‘ roots are more shallow generally and could be affected more, but will seek out deeper/cooler conditions on their own so should be ok, “in my opinion”.
Hi,

Yes, the textile does trap heat, but there s a taproot !
It should be fine and that was measured at the end of a hot day too so at a kind of max. It surely goes down at night. Cheers.

terroirist

I used to grow outdoors in air temps that occasionally exceeded 45C (frequently over 35 most days) and everything thrived as long as you kept the water up. Cannabis grows in some of the hottest places on earth.
Hi Chi,

Yes watering is key. At 45 ° lat those temps of yours are still exceptionnal, we are rather around 26-32°C in summer. But still I ll be very mindful of those waterings.
Still I try to incite her to dig as deep as possible, even possibly explore that slop e native soil ;) If she dares... So I surely do not overwater. But I don t want to block her in any way, no point and no time, I am so late this year !

terroirist

Thanks a lot for your feedback @terroirist Glad you have enjoyed all the different ACE genetics you have grown ;)

Plant is barely in seedling stage so it's still early to identify the pheno, but so far i can identify growing traits from both lines. Overall look, leaf and columnar structure comes from Kali China, but with thinner leaves and stems from Zamaldelica's sativa influence. Take also in consideration that this complex poly hybrid is quite transgressive for finished product, producing new terpenes and effects not found in the parent lines, and every female can be quite different to each other, but all of them from remarkable to excellent expressions.

Cannabis plants planted in the ground and grown with enough water tolerates very well (also strain dependant) during growing stage high outdoor temps between 30-40ºC, since root system is protected and under more moderate temps in the soil. But root system will suffer a lot when same plants are grown in pots in a terrace with strong sun exposure under such temps, especially when the sun hits the pot many hours during mid day, the roots get sick and upper part of the plant reflects that.
Hi Dubi,

Thanks for the info.

Yes, when you cross such good genetics together, only magic can happen ;) I am more than confident about that.

This soil temp management is key for sure, and it should be fine in my case, the bottom of the taproot may be a real deep explorer, hopefully !

In pots yes, outdoor I would wrap my pots with 2 layers of cardboard, it worked well to keep roots cool.

Cheers !

terroirist

Hi guys,

The weekly update ;)

Well, I am happy, it responded well to topping from 5 days ago and is growing nicely her laterals.

It s beefing up nicely in the stalk, tomorrow I ll feed her a liquid fertiliser and spray her with an herbal tea (nettle, garlic, thyme and some essential oils tea tree and orange) to keep things going smoothly ;)

I plan on doing one more topping above the first node of each lateral branch and then let those 12 tops grow as much as possible till flowering.

I really like how it responds to topping, the growth rythm, and those beefy stalks, sge s beasting up, nice genetics (y)

Attachments

• 20230715_162917.jpg
    20230715_162917.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • 20230715_161708.jpg
    20230715_161708.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 20230715_161759.jpg
    20230715_161759.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 47
  • 20230715_161743.jpg
    20230715_161743.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 48
  • 20230715_161829.jpg
    20230715_161829.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 47

terroirist

Hi guys,

Today I did the last topping of the 4 lower lateral branches.

I prefered to wait a little before doing the 2 upper ones, I guess I ll do them by the middle of next week.

I did fertilise her with 3,5-3-4,5 liquid fertiliser. It was her bi-weekly dose : 4 ml which brings per m2 :
  • 0.6 g N.
  • 0.6 g P.
  • 2,5 g K.

I did spray her with an herbal tea at 10 % dilution.

I ll try to explain my fertilisation planning and I d like to have your opinion :
For the whole season / cycle, I bring / m2 :
N : 15 g.
P : 15 g.
K : 30 g.

I split this amount into 2 :
  • 1/2 at planting (1/2 guano 35 g/m2 ; 1/2 compost 300 g / m2).
  • 1/2 after planting every 2 weeks liquid fertiliser :
Ex for liquid fert. : N 7,5 g / 12 = 0.6 g N per watering every 2 weeks.

My aim is to ensure a optimal vegetative growth.
I won t fertilse her during flowering, it s my terroir-oriented choice, I ll let her dig for her food. There may remain some nutrients though and the native soil is virgin and looks quite rich. So it should be ok... ?

Do you think those amounts are enough ?
Do you guys compute your doses / m2 or / liter of substrate or / something else ?

What do you think of this idea of not fertilising during flowering, am I crazy ?:unsure:

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 20230716_111151.jpg
    20230716_111151.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 61
  • 20230716_101143.jpg
    20230716_101143.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54
  • 20230716_101154.jpg
    20230716_101154.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
  • 20230716_101128.jpg
    20230716_101128.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • 20230716_101244.jpg
    20230716_101244.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 47

terroirist

The plants will tell you if you try..
Hi grey,

Yes, I have not made the final decision yet...
I work on vineyards and I love wine. I think high quality wine production can inspire cannabis production in terms of quality.
Cannabis is not wine though so one must be cautious.
The notion of terroir in wine is essential in France though and cannot be ignored, it helps produce some of the world's greatest wines.
My take is that the most important aspects to express terroir in wine are :
  • Soil specificity (water retention mainly, holds water but evacuates excess water, rich in specific micro nutrients too).
  • Micro-climate (exposure, slope angle...).
  • Dry-growing / water-management (to force deep-rooting and drought resilience / + force roots to explore all the dirt, extract terroir specific micronutrients).
  • Yield management ( to reach proper ripeness and thus concentration in aromas and taste).
  • Fertilisation management (to not delay fruit set, allow for proper ripening).
  • Grape genetic quality (adapted to local climate, selected for taste and pest resistance).
  • Agroecology (local soil life will allow terroir to be expressed, micronutrients to be extracted).

This is my take, there s no scientific consensus on that but in my experience all my favorite wines are made with those requirements + an inspired winemaker ,)

If this is properly translated to cannabis growing, I think terroir could show up too, I mean a specific expression of a given clone for example. It could be magic...

terroirist

Hi guys,

This is the weekly update.

I have finished my last pruning of the 2 apical tops.
So now I cross my fingers for a good vegetative growth until the end of the stretch.
I hope it will bush up nicely.

Let s go baby, make me proud ;)

Cheers.

Attachments

• 20230720_204932.jpg
    20230720_204932.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
  • 20230720_205751.jpg
    20230720_205751.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • 20230721_084727.jpg
    20230721_084727.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 47
  • 20230721_084819.jpg
    20230721_084819.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
  • 20230721_084836.jpg
    20230721_084836.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
  • 20230721_084850.jpg
    20230721_084850.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51

goingrey

Hi grey,

Yes, I have not made the final decision yet...
I work on vineyards and I love wine. I think high quality wine production can inspire cannabis production in terms of quality.
Cannabis is not wine though so one must be cautious.
The notion of terroir in wine is essential in France though and cannot be ignored, it helps produce some of the world's greatest wines.
My take is that the most important aspects to express terroir in wine are :
  • Soil specificity (water retention mainly, holds water but evacuates excess water, rich in specific micro nutrients too).
  • Micro-climate (exposure, slope angle...).
  • Dry-growing / water-management (to force deep-rooting and drought resilience / + force roots to explore all the dirt, extract terroir specific micronutrients).
  • Yield management ( to reach proper ripeness and thus concentration in aromas and taste).
  • Fertilisation management (to not delay fruit set, allow for proper ripening).
  • Grape genetic quality (adapted to local climate, selected for taste and pest resistance).
  • Agroecology (local soil life will allow terroir to be expressed, micronutrients to be extracted).

This is my take, there s no scientific consensus on that but in my experience all my favorite wines are made with those requirements + an inspired winemaker ,)

If this is properly translated to cannabis growing, I think terroir could show up too, I mean a specific expression of a given clone for example. It could be magic...
I don't disagree with anything you said but would still consider feeding plants showing obvious signs of deficiencies. Maybe that means missing out on some magic. But maybe not and there are many benefits to healthy plants, often the bud is also good. ;)

That said, there is scientific evidence to suggest underfed plants make more potent weed, just less of it. Here is a recent paper with some good citations of older ones also.

terroirist

I don't disagree with anything you said but would still consider feeding plants showing obvious signs of deficiencies. Maybe that means missing out on some magic. But maybe not and there are many benefits to healthy plants, often the bud is also good. ;)

That said, there is scientific evidence to suggest underfed plants make more potent weed, just less of it. Here is a recent paper with some good citations of older ones also.

Hi Grey,

Thanks a lot for the link. It s a real gold mine to me with alk those references. A good scientific paper is priceless !

I totally agree with u about feeding plants that show obvious deficiencies. No being can perform when ill. It is rather about orientating a plant than torturing her !

I n the end, it s all about personal preference, what a grower is looking for. Is it mostly quality or quantity but there s surely a balance to be found thanks to accurate fertilization to reach your own goal.

As empirical word of mouth, I had often heard that herbs produce more essential oils with low fertilisation.

In my case, I ll keep researching to find my grow protocol to optimise fertilisation for yield and quality with an emphasis on quality 😉.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi @terroirist since your plant is still young and small and we are heading end of July, i would provide a feeding rich in nitrogen to help her get the biggest size possible before flowering starts.

The use of liquid fertilizers to boost growth and flower production is always a good thing, even when growing in the ground in a good soil. You will be able to correct better and faster any deficiency with liquid fertilizers than with late soil amends.