What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

thenewstyle

Summary of my last run using SILS. I tried to go vertical but i had problems of light burning. Maybe because of the little space i have.
[URL=https://s2.gifyu.com/images/Sour-Stomper_Sour-Crack-RUN52b546c1fa4f664b.gif]View Image[/URL]

yo tiger i like that pic you put together
i think if you introduced the vertical light a little earlier in the grow the plant would have more time to adapt and flourish from it, maybe even introduce the vertical light on a dimmer and turn it up over several days /week

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
So I just plugged in the fluorescents.
I will post a picture in a month.
Ya know, my dad bought a farm decades ago. It had an old tractor parked on a hill near the barn. It was very costly to run so it sat there 99% of the year. It was great for emergencies, when the modern tractor needed repairs, but really dumb to try and keep using all year.

You'll get better quality cannabis if you keep the fluoros in the garage. Plug them in if your LED's ever crap out and it'll be a few days to replace them.

Other than this... there's zero need for it and it's only costing you extra in ways you don't understand yet.

Good luck. :)

Legalcdn

Bighitguy420..thanks for info on bulbs u use. I have a question regarding even lights over canopy. In a 2x2 area..i have 2 2ft 4 light vanities..i was thinking attaching to opposite ends and placing a 7 in 1 adapter without middle bulb..good enough light distribution? It would be 14 leds in a 2x2..too much light? It's that weird middle area that i am trying cover ( minus outside lights ).. Basically a 6 light (7-1 adapter) for a 2ft by 18inch area.. I don't have those light adapter extenders u use..all 15w bulbs..seems ok without overkill? Thanks for input..

I see terpene does 2 vanities of 6 bulb fixtures over a 2x4 space..spread must be good..

Dabtime

It would be 14 leds in a 2x2..too much light? It's that weird middle area that i am trying cover ( minus outside lights ).. Basically a 6 light (7-1 adapter) for a 2ft by 18inch area.. I don't have those light adapter extenders u use..all 15w bulbs..seems ok without overkill? Thanks for input..

I see terpene does 2 vanities of 6 bulb fixtures over a 2x4 space..spread must be good..

I would recommend sticking to 25-40 watts per square foot. Since you have 4 sqft and you're using 15watt bulbs it would be more than sufficient to run 10 bulbs for 150watts, giving you 37.5watts per square foot and a really nice spread when equally spaced. For example the veg side of my veg/mother cab is 24"x 18" giving me 3 sqft and I run 5 5000k 14watt greatvalue bulbs giving me 23.33watts per square feet with excellent vegetative growth. For my even smaller mother side I run only 2 14watt bulbs for my bonsai moms in solo cups of coco.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
It would be 14 leds in a 2x2..too much light? ...all 15w bulbs..seems ok without overkill?

I use 6 15w leds in my 2x2x2 veg area and I’m vegging at 1500-2000umol aka, the dead center of an HPS 1000w flowering canopy. I regularly have to back it down to 9w bulbs to slow the plants down / keep from burning them. Going over 8 bulbs in this space is just adding heat as plants hit the limit of what they can take around 1800umol.

I would recommend sticking to 25-40 watts per square foot.

^This, emphasis on 25w per sqft. It’s easy to keep cool and is plenty bright. Adding more requires much more ventilation, which requires moisture, which requires more frequent watering, which is more effort....

"Buuuuut Teeeeeeerp, I want maximum yields...."

Everyone knows I'm not growing for weight as Im all untested sativa landrace hybrids from seed... but lets run some quick numbers. The last production style strain I ran was Fruity Pebbles OG x Sour Sunset x Pineapple. So from seed, first time out, I got roughly 2.5oz (1/2 gallon mason jar packed to the brim) from a 1 gallon pot. I can fit 8 of those in my cabinet, but since this one over grew the pot a little bit, lets be really safe and say I could only fit 6 plants in flower. That means from 180w (25w per sqft) I would theoretically pull about 420g / 15oz or 2.3g per watt.

picture.php

Legalcdn

Terp.

Are the vanity strips in your 60x120 tent spaced 15cm (6 inches) from edge? Then 30cm (12 inches) spacing between vanity strips? Total of 12 leds.. Correct?

Love the ace seeds your using. I have a few other beans to grow first and then i look to ace seeds after..

Your right about wanting max yields..it's hard to grasp the simplicity.. I grew 2 plants under those 7-1 adapters..i used 4 of them in a 60x120 area..used 20 leds and it was tooooo much light..plants suffered.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Are the vanity strips in your 60x120 tent spaced 15cm (6 inches) from edge? Then 30cm (12 inches) spacing between vanity strips? Total of 12 leds.. Correct?

The 6 light vanity strips (36" long) are inset 5" from the front and rear walls. The two vanities almost entirely fill the cabinet end to end, they are 4" off the ends to the walls. I'm a little under 4' wide, 24" deep x 44" wide x 48" tall. Yes, total of twelve 15w screw ins, even (alternating) mix of 5000k and 3000k bulbs.

picture.php

The nice thing about vanity strips is all the work is done for you (and they look classy). Pick the length of strip that fits your dimensions, and grow. Generally its going to be 3 light (18"), 4 light (24"), 6 light (36") or 8 light (48") fixtures.

I think running 1 vanity for per square foot of depth is more than enough light (ie, 2 eight light fixtures in a 2'x4' / sixteen 15w bulbs / 30w per sqft) but if you're hellbent on overkill, you could run 1.5 fixtures per square foot of depth (ie, 3 eight light fixtures in a 2'x4' / twenty four 15w bulbs / 45w per sqft). Just make sure your ventilation can keep up with that much heat.

I'm still waiting to see a 2 tray, 4'x8' tent with 8 eight light vanities (960w / 30w per sqft) on yo-yos. Based on what I've seen, itd beat a dual 600w HPS setup with 80% as much energy use. I'd even go as far as saying it would probably be close to, or as good as, a dual 1000w HPS setup in the hands of the right grower.

I know it's probably already in the thread and I've already read it but are you scrogging, Terpene?

Used to modular scrog when I ran larger plants in 3 gallon SIPs, but now most plants are from seed, run straight up and down. Flipped at about 8"-10” tall with risers underneath them to keep them at roughly 1200-1500umol at the top of the canopy. Tall, stretchy sativas get bent/LST'd to the pot to make them fit. The FPOG cross was topped once and vegged a bit just to see what a 1 gallon pot would do in the space. I normally run eight 5"x5" square pots which I expect to see 1.25oz-1.5oz from (so 10-12oz from 180w).

I did the math and my minimum-average expectation of yield is equal to a 1000w HPS putting out 3.5-4.25lbs per light. No scrog, no bloom boosters, no CO2, barely any ferts, basically tap water and soil only.

El Tigre

Well done Tigre
We will need a smoke report soon on those jars.

PCBuds.
Stop clusterfucking this thread with that seedling.
No, you don't need to fire up the 4ft flouresant fixture in a couple days.

Got a few of these 23w 3000k added in
Bigger in diameter of my 13w they actually run cooler
View Image
Great eagle caw caw
View Image

My 3 bubbly
(Pre98 bubba x pink mimosa)

View Image

I'm writing strain review/smoke report on my thread soon. If you come to visit, you are always welcome.

Legalcdn

I have read almost every page and this info from terpene is just super. Page 260 data from delta9nsx is valuable too.

Thanks and cheers.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
To get 3k from leds, the red spike in the spectrum is often around 625nm, which is pretty good. Cooler led's tend it use less red, centered around 600nm. Which sounds close, but depending on who draws the graph, is often seen to be about half as effective. This could, if totted up on your fingers, make 5k 25% less effective than 3k

A couple of years ago I made a diffraction device, which much like a crystal, split the light so you could see what was in it. Through comparisons between light sources, you could get quite a good picture of what was going on. I have been looking for hours.. I have lost the lot somehow.
https://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/cd-spectroscope
https://www.livescience.com/41548-spectroscopy-science-fair-project.html
Thankfully I posted a pic or two online..

That's the general idea. Though over exposed

Drop That Sound

Be cool if someone programmed an app that analyzes the pics taken through a mini smart phone light diffraction spectrograph attachment, and counts the ammount of colors pixels on the pics, and give you a readout with the exact ratios (or a general idea)..

man0os

Second cycle of no till, 2x80 liter containers.
6 plants 154 watts SILS.
Day 17 of 12/12.
Looking good.

Attachments

• IMG_20190207_164310.jpg
    IMG_20190207_164310.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 16

argo430

Veteran
made a few more strips for a new tent finally get to play for real 23 W x 6 two assemblies only using one at the moment.
2.5 x 4 tray and tent 40 gal res.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pollinated Mels punch plants.

attachment.php

Oh yea.

Attachments

• wiring eu color code.jpg
    wiring eu color code.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 18
  • tray 5 melp.jpg
    tray 5 melp.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 19
  • melp27.jpg
    melp27.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 16
  • dusted Mel's Punch.jpg
    dusted Mel's Punch.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 19
  • sketch2x4.jpg
    sketch2x4.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 19
  • pipe he he he.jpg
    pipe he he he.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 19
  • melsp pollination successful.jpg
    melsp pollination successful.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Well done Tigre
We will need a smoke report soon on those jars.

PCBuds.
Stop clusterfucking this thread with that seedling.
No, you don't need to fire up the 4ft flouresant fixture in a couple days.

Got a few of these 23w 3000k added in
Bigger in diameter of my 13w they actually run cooler
View Image
Great eagle caw caw
View Image

My 3 bubbly
(Pre98 bubba x pink mimosa)

View Image
That 1st plant to the left is getting too much light bud. Maybe u already fixed it. Still reading thru the thread.

Latest posts

Latest posts