What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I'm finally building a small grow room!

BigJohnny

Well with cannabis being legal here now, and being that I already had much equipment I decided that finally after years of being a member here and on OG I'll grow some of my own damn plants.

I've wanted to do this since way back in the OG days but life did what life does and I find myself here now.

Here's a video of what I've got going on right now, I'm just starting to build the room and will have to start doing electrical really soon.

I'm planning on a sealed room because I have the means to do so and probably running 2x600W halides, and 2x600W HPS. not sure how to lay those out just yet though.

I'll be going with a true aeroponic setup as per the ancient TAG thread from OG, using spray nozzles from Agrihouse.

Let's hear some feedback.

[YOUTUBEIF]KAh-uAO5R5k[/YOUTUBEIF]

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Very cool man. You must be very excited to be able to grow legally and in peace, I know I would be. Looks like you've got the place you need to be able to set up a nice grow.

BigJohnny

It is nice to not have to worry, were allowed 4 plants but if you're medical you can have a lot more.
My big concern is home insurance. One company canceled on me way back when I was getting insured because he thought I was already growing even though I was legal. That put me in a high risk market now.

So I don't know how any other companies will view it now but I'm making sure everything is done to code, and that there won't be issues with mold or destroying the house.
im also trying to renovate the place socit could be possibly rented out later.

JustSumTomatoes

Yeah, dealing with the legal aspects is one thing, dealing with insurance companies is another. I'd imagine that some might cover it but the premium will be through the roof. They probably figure that some dumb pothead will manage to burn down the house by Jimmy rigging the electrical work to the grow or something of that sort. Though I'm sure you're perfectly capable of setting up a safe grow, I wonder if you had a professional electrician set it up or give it a look over the insurance would be willing to work with you.

hyposomniac

Codewise, Being right up against the cement like that might raise some eyebrows, at least where I live.
Nice 15s

BigJohnny

Day 2 - The electrical fustercluck

[YOUTUBEIF]ojwkltkyoiE[/YOUTUBEIF]

Yeah, dealing with the legal aspects is one thing, dealing with insurance companies is another. I'd imagine that some might cover it but the premium will be through the roof. They probably figure that some dumb pothead will manage to burn down the house by Jimmy rigging the electrical work to the grow or something of that sort. Though I'm sure you're perfectly capable of setting up a safe grow, I wonder if you had a professional electrician set it up or give it a look over the insurance would be willing to work with you.

The homeowner is allowed to do their own electrical work as long as the permits were pulled, then it gets a pre-inspection and final inspection before the walls go up.

As long as I follow code and clean this shit up there shouldn't be any electrical problems, and if you watch my other video I just posted above you'll see near the end that my electrical is clean af.

I'm paying for all my electricity and nothing is bypassed or rigged up. I just need to get the permits, but I can do the work ahead of time, get the permit, call in the inspector and call it a day.

King Rat

Nice to see a long time icmag user finally setting up his first grow room.
Ask insurance companies which aspects & regulations need to be fulfilled by your side to get the insurance.
Some might tell you they won't do it under any circumstances and some others give you the proper requirements you can rely on.

JustSumTomatoes

The homeowner is allowed to do their own electrical work as long as the permits were pulled, then it gets a pre-inspection and final inspection before the walls go up.

As long as I follow code and clean this shit up there shouldn't be any electrical problems, and if you watch my other video I just posted above you'll see near the end that my electrical is clean af.

I'm paying for all my electricity and nothing is bypassed or rigged up. I just need to get the permits, but I can do the work ahead of time, get the permit, call in the inspector and call it a day.

Where I live it's illegal to do your own electrical work unless you're a licensed professional and the city gives you permission to do electrical work within its limits. My grandpa was a retired electrician and did all the work on his own house. He taught me a lot about electrical safety and whatnot. I personally don't have the experience to do it but if you know what you're doing and your local law gives it the thumbs up, more power to you.

Again, I'd be interested to see how the insurance company would respond to a home grow. Properly set up of course. I'd imagine that here in the states they would still not take it well in a green state. The whole federal government thing makes state legalization complicated.

BigJohnny

Where I live it's illegal to do your own electrical work unless you're a licensed professional and the city gives you permission to do electrical work within its limits. My grandpa was a retired electrician and did all the work on his own house. He taught me a lot about electrical safety and whatnot. I personally don't have the experience to do it but if you know what you're doing and your local law gives it the thumbs up, more power to you.

Again, I'd be interested to see how the insurance company would respond to a home grow. Properly set up of course. I'd imagine that here in the states they would still not take it well in a green state. The whole federal government thing makes state legalization complicated.

I'm going to call my broker and discuss it, but I'm nearly paid up for the year, and I could already switch to regular market but since I've already paid I'm sticking with it until next year.
So I can call and discuss my options for an indoor garden and have at least 6 months to prepare.

BigJohnny

Nice to see a long time icmag user finally setting up his first grow room.
Ask insurance companies which aspects & regulations need to be fulfilled by your side to get the insurance.
Some might tell you they won't do it under any circumstances and some others give you the proper requirements you can rely on.

I've been making concentrates for a while, but it was basically only recently that I realized I kind of already had pretty much all of the equipment.

I think I've always used excuses and life and it was never a real priority.

But now I only had to pickup a few cheap parts for a fully aero setup, it's fully legal, I need to renovate my basement anyway and we've really been wanting to eat better too so there are going to be some vegtables and stuff growing as well.

Basically all of the cards fell into place and not only that the prices of a lot of things have really come down. back in the OG days it was like $200 for a simple sheet metal reflector, and now the same thing is only $26.....so it seems to be the time.

BigJohnny

Day 3 begins today.....and I think this one will go on for a while since I'm at the point where I have to wire up the room.

BUUUUUUTTTTTTT, since I'm doing so, my ENTIRE FKN HOUSE needs to have all it's wiring pulled out and redone.....so that's what I'll be working on.

BigJohnny

Day 3 and 4 video.

This will actually take some time since I have to shift my focus from being strictly on the grow room to doing some actual renovations and updating the electrical in the entire house.

It just seems like the best time to do it since I'm already ripping everything out of the basement.

[YOUTUBEIF]jePyM8LIEtc[/YOUTUBEIF]