Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Danger of Al+++ Solubility Aluminum Silicate Clays (Azomite, Bentonite,...)

Thread Title Search
Danger of Al+++ Solubility Aluminum Silicate Clays (Azomite, Bentonite,...) Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-02-2018, 04:43 PM #11
DTOM420

DTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbeman View Post
I've never used Azomite but have used various forms of bentonite, pyrophyllite and other montmorillonites. Azomite just seemed an overpriced version to me.

Much of the world is composed of aluminosilicates (silicates 27% - aluminium 8% ?) so I don't spend time worrying about clays in their natural form. Manmade concentrates may be a different story.

Some of these clays I've acquired directly from mines or quarries so have had metals testing performed to check for toxic levels.
^^This^^ very well said! @Dog Star as well!

Any man-made product carries the potential to cause concerns in my mind. Nature made products, not so much. Sometimes I think we look too deep and are to afraid of stuff; or maybe it’s just the old adage, “a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.” Look at all the hubbub about Neem. I’ve got enough to worry about just trying to keep my plants growing well. Now, I wouldn’t be making a pipe out of tin foil, either. Lol!
DTOM420 is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:03 PM #12
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond repute
Aluminum is one of the most abundant metals on this earth!

It is absolutely impossible to avoid exposure but it can be minimized.
I've been using Azomite for years. Not sure what it does other than add much needed minerals and CEC to a nearly dead soil.
MJPassion is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:31 PM #13
Ratzilla

Ratzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really niceRatzilla is just really nice
I also do not worry about Aluminum for I opine that the pH would need to be quite low for it to be available and your plants would die first!
I love using Bentonite clay and Zeolite as well for rising the CEC of my medium.
There are different forms of Bentonite clay i try and not use any that is high in sodium.
Ratz
Ratzilla is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:11 PM #14
Cvh
Lurking

Cvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud of
Thank you all. Reading all your posts comforts me greatly.

I love the effect of aluminosilicates on my plants and don't want to give it up.

People have been growing in them for millennia and praised the results.

Aluminum is indeed also one of the most abundant elements in the world. And present in large percentages in nearly any clay.

I think it's indeed best to not look so deeply into things.
I also don't use much, around 1-3 tbs a gallon (15-45 ml / 4l) of soil in total.
Cvh is offline Quote

Old 11-02-2018, 11:49 PM #15
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Microbeman has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPassion View Post
Aluminum is one of the most abundant metals on this earth!

It is absolutely impossible to avoid exposure but it can be minimized.
I've been using Azomite for years. Not sure what it does other than add much needed minerals and CEC to a nearly dead soil.
I heard that Azomite can cause left eye blinking-winkers syndrome (BWS) in .00014% of the population. This has been documented in Joey Winker's Super Science monthly blog.

He first noticed this effect in himself when smoking a jay at neighbor Dave's. His left eye began winking and weeping after taking some heavy hits.

"Dave. What did you use in yer soil man?" "Jus the usual mang... ya know the kooties mix with azormite n' neem n' crab n stuff"
"Hmmm, can't be the neem cause I din't puke so must be the azomite.....sheeeiit."
"But Joey! Don't ya remember after that big blast you wacked yer head on the corner of my coffee table?" "What? Oh that ain't nuthin I do that all the time. This is different"

"When the facts change, I change my mind.
What do you do, sir?"
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
~John Maynard Keynes~
Sorry: No questions by PM, check my webpage

Microbeman is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:59 PM #16
Cvh
Lurking

Cvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud ofCvh has much to be proud of

I hope I didn't fuel the blogs by creating this thread. And that any Azomite (or the like) user sees his thread getting destroyed. Sometimes it could be indeed a bad idea to ask questions on the forum here.

Anyway I just gave my plants some Lava meal (Basalt rock dust). I like to combine it with Bentonite.
Cvh is offline Quote